adding power windows

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Datsun182

adding power windows

Post by Datsun182 »

Well first off I'd like to start this thread off with a little bit of information about adding power windows to our datsun. However, this thread is more about helping anybody who has questions on the mod.

First things first you gotta have the power window kit. I went with the spal style kit. you can find out more about this kit from http://www.spalusa.com/. At my work I get a discount on this kinda stuff and my cost for the materials for two doors and two switches was $108.

Once you have the kit sit down and take a good look at it and how it works. You'll see you have two rods that run next to each other, one way leads you to a motor side and the other way leads you to a round gear looking side. The round gear will slide over your current window crank gear (the kit comes with plenty of adapters to fit all cars). After this slips over you secure the round gear part with the adapters they come with (fan blade looking peices).

here is a horrible cell phone pic to try and help you image it better.

next your will bend the rods around and in the door panel so you can mount the motor on the inside. You'll need to mount this out of the way of any moving parts in your door, luckily we have wing windows so you can mount it low towards the front of the doors and be okay. After you mount the motor would be a good time to feed twelve volts to the motor wires to make sure the rods arn't binding up. Give the motor 12 volts in one direction the window goes down, give it 12 in the other and the window raises.

now you can mount your switches in the door panels if your choose.....however since I don't smoke, and I wanted to keep my install super ninja clean I choose a differnt location for my switches.

plus this way they are easy for both the driver and the passenger to access.

now you can choose to cap off the window crank knob with the supplied caps (small abraham lincoln miny hat looking peices) that slide over so you don't see the window crank move, however I just built my door panels out so that this is covered.

Datsun182

Post by Datsun182 »

well it seems like nobody has any questions, and that's okay. hopefully this quick tech tip helped some of you out.
spyder
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by spyder »

Questions? Yes! How much do they weigh and do they fit inside the door.

Phil
Datsun182

Post by Datsun182 »

well they are pretty light, i'd guess around 3lbs? For the most part they fit in the door (the motor and most of the rods), the only part that has to be on the outside of the door is the gear ring that has to be over your factory window crank gear.