Wheel Suppliers Sought

Tires and rims is always coming up. Discuss these item here!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

SinrgRacing

Wheel Suppliers Sought

Post by SinrgRacing »

Am posting here since this section gets more visibility than the racing section.

I'm having problems finding anything but Panasport rims for sale that fit my SPL racecar.

If you know of a supplier carrying a light weight, 15x6 (or 6.5) rim with roadster 4x114.3 Bolt circle and 0-15mm-ish offset, please drop me a line. Seems all that is out there is tuner wheels with 35-50mm offsets.

Thanks.
TR

Post by TR »

Have you checked Konig Rewinds?

I am not sure if they make a 6", but this is close (ebay):

AE86 510 240Z 260Z 280Z 14x7 Datsun Konig Rewind Wheels Item number: 200064752578
datsun65
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by datsun65 »

I'd suggest contacting

Pack Racing Products
http://www.packracingproducts.com/

1-866-855-3473

They are the US distributor of Superlites wheels and have rims for both street and race. They carry the Classic Styled 'Superlite' wheel made in Austraia. It look similar to Panasport, but 25-30% less cost.

They do carry a 15x6 wheel in the proper fitment fo rthe roadster.

Ask for either Barry or Terry. Both are extremely helpful.
Dan
Houston, TX
Victor_laury

Post by Victor_laury »

How's your buget? you want real mccoy racing wheels, yes?

How about brand new 14X6.5 (15's too, if ya want) Watanabe Type A (+9.5) in Mg. not to dam bad for a 9.5 lb wheel. Set ya back $2.5K though. For about the same price Work is making the 02's and 03's in the same offsets. a little heavier at 11lbs. All of these will take 2 months to get to you.

I'm thinking that I just GOTTA have the Wats myself. Wheelchoice and takumiproject are both currently importing.

For the Works, call upgrademotoring (owner is a Datsun man with a roadster, 510 and 240Z)
http://www.upgrademotoring.com/index2.htm

I wish I could say you could get SSR MkII's or MKIII's but since they started back in production, they decided to limit the classic styles to home market ONLY. (I think it's a National Pride thing more than a finaicial decision). Too bad, not only for they're classic style, they are an outstandingly light real racing rim!

Local source? Kietzer will custom make you a set for less than the japan choices above. They're also truly light, but you'll gain a little going to 15'' as that's all they make.

http://www.thewheelstore.com/Details.as ... ategory=32
RC240z
Roadsteraholic

racing wheels

Post by RC240z »

We were able to fit the "racing only" Panasport 15 x 7's under our racing roadsters you might want to look at getting a larger rim under your car if you have the clearance to do so. We were able to get 205 50 15's under Bob Klemme's car and I could probably get a 225 50 15 under my car, but I currently run a 205.

There are advantages to panasports as they are available in the proper size and if you damage one you can get a replacement...As a matter of fact I always have a spare wheel and tire in my trailer in case one of my wheels get damaged and I need a spare wheel and tire.

Les Cannaday set me up with my wheels and you can contact Les at les@classicdatsun.com or 760-940-6365. He will know what size wheel will fit under your car. Now, that being said, can you run a 15 in the group you intend to race with? Many Vintage racing groups will only let you run a 14 on your roadster.

Also, many people balk at the cost of the Panasports. It is because they are really well made and they cost more to make than a Konig.
67.5 2000, SRL 311 000305 Solex
A race car since new!
Instagram #RC240Z #geoskyalert

check out my blog at www.rcnetworksracing.com
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Re: racing wheels

Post by spl310 »

RC240z wrote:Also, many people balk at the cost of the Panasports. It is because they are really well made and they cost more to make than a Konig.
Do you have anything concrete to back that up, or is it an opinion? Just curious. I don't have a dog in this hunt - I like my old school libres...
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
Victor_laury

Post by Victor_laury »

One is a race proven wheel with years of real world testing

The other is a cheap copy of a Historic Japanese racing wheel.

Why ask?
nomadtrash
Roadster Fanatic

Post by nomadtrash »

Try Circle
http://www.circleracing.com/

or Real
http://www.realwheel.net/

They will make you anything that you want.
I have 15 x 14 Real Wheels in the rear of my Roadster and 15 x 10 up front. I am using the wide-5 wheels with an aluminum center section that I got from a dirt track shop. They weigh 14 pounds and cost about $200 per wheel.
Andy Cost
Roadster-less

Bolt on modification? I did use some bolts!
SinrgRacing

Post by SinrgRacing »

I've been told to avoid the Konig as they have a tendency to fold the hub off center under hard cornering. Fine for street...bad for racing. No personal proof, but have heard it from many a source. Of concern for me is the close proximity of the lug holes to the center hole for the fronts. I want proven quality there as it gets a tad thin and could be a stress riser.
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Victor,

I see opinions, but nothing hard and fast. When the Superlights were first mentioned, the discussion was heading down that path until some of the members from Australia set the record on them straight.

Like I said, I don't have a dog in this hunt, I am just curious to see if there is anything quantifiable other than a friend overheard a cousin's brother's neighbor mention a story he heard...
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
TR

Post by TR »

Hey Andy, please provide more info on your wheel setup...It sounds like some interesting options may be built! TR
RC240z
Roadsteraholic

Post by RC240z »

SPL,

The discussions with the superlights was, no one has had experience with them Racing in the US. Sorry, but I don't like being the bleeding edge of technology. If the AUS guys have experience with them that works for me. They said they did, and it has been favorable.

As for the Konigs, they are a fine street wheel. I do know a few guys that race on them, but I would choose not to. As Victor said they are inexpensive wheels that have no track record on the race track.

Now that being said, I know a couple of people that race with them and we will see how they hold up. In a couple of years I am sure we will know just how good or bad they are. First hand.
67.5 2000, SRL 311 000305 Solex
A race car since new!
Instagram #RC240Z #geoskyalert

check out my blog at www.rcnetworksracing.com