banging from the head

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

scotty
Roadster Fanatic

Post by scotty »

I opened it up and found nothing inside the cylinder. One of the push rods got bent and was rubbing against the side of the block. Mystery solved.

A few of the exhaust studs are looking a little stripped, does anyone know what size they are? Thanks
Victor_laury

Post by Victor_laury »

scotty wrote:Hey Vic, I live in Atwater
Oh my god! Hey neighbor! I can most likely see your house from my hill!
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

5 main 1600 part number is 08223-83210. $0.46 on datsunpartscc. Call local Nissan dealer, see if # is still good, or Dean would probably have them.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
spyder
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by spyder »

So how do you bend the pushrods?
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

spyder wrote:So how do you bend the pushrods?
Ahh, the big question has been asked.
Someone correct me if I am off base...When you checked the valve lash after you got it home, was the valve with the bent pushrod loose? It should have been loose, if it wasn't, the pushrod was already bent the last time the valve lash was set.

The 1600 I sold to Bill K has a very nasty valve type noise, comes and goes a bit, haven't been able to find it yet. Bill will fix it by putting in a stroker, a bit of a shotgun approach, but the noise will be gone.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
scotty
Roadster Fanatic

Post by scotty »

Put it all back together with a new push rod and it fired right up. but it's still banging. Don't know why the rod got bent in the first place. Anyway, I got some advice and it's to see if the noise gets louder or softer when you disconect a plug wire at each cylinder. Louder is a wrist pin, quiter is a rod bearing. No change in noise could be almost anything. Does this make any sense?
spyder
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by spyder »

The oil pan is easy to get off. You can check the rod bearing this way. If it is a wrist pin, I think it would slowly develop unless the piston cracked or perhaps one of the pins is slipping out ot the piston hitting the side of the bore. I had this happen and was able to see it by dropping a small bulb into the spark plug hole and peer in.
mikew
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mikew »

Did the noise start happening all of a sudden or did it slowly get louder over time?

As was suggested early in this thread - it could be a dropped valve seat - has happened to me before too - frustrating thing was that it took weeks to find the problem...

When the seat dropped out of the head, it floated around banging and crashing as the valve opens and closes and the piston rises and falls, but then sometimes it would pop back in and the noise would go away..... The first time it happened the nasty noise lasted a couple of minutes then went away (as the seat popped back into position) and didn't come back for weeks.

Might also explain your bent pushrod if part of the seat managed to get between the valve and piston.

Did you notice and damage to a combustion chamber or on the top of a piston?

mike
1965 SP311, H20, 44mm Solexes, 260Z 5-speed
scotty
Roadster Fanatic

Post by scotty »

The noise started suddenly, then disappeared for a while. I had a seat drop on my last head, and it was obvious when I removed it. I guess I could have done more to check if a seat was loose when I had the head out. How would you recommend checking, do I need a valve spring compressor?
scotty
Roadster Fanatic

Post by scotty »

Also, I noticed no damage or scratches on the pistons or cylinder walls.
scotty
Roadster Fanatic

Post by scotty »

Pulled the head off and rotated the engine by hand. the 2 inside pistons would rise together, but on the way down one would descend an inch higher than the other. Tough it and it slides down even. I guess that's a broken wrist pin?
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

It could be a broken wrist pin, broken piston, or a rod that is failing. Either way, it needs to be fixed. The good news is that 1600 tidbits are reasonable!
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...