Greetings!

Here you can introduce yourself to the group.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

avidtest

Greetings!

Post by avidtest »

Hi everyone.

Was just introduced to these cars several weeks ago. Being somewhat of an impulsive sort, I decided I needed one. After a week of 24/7 Internet research, several phone calls and some email correspondence, I found one up in the Bay area on Tuesday. Flew there Wednesday (from San Diego) and drove her home same day. Talk about a hair-raising ride! Thought she might crap out on me after each fuel stop. Felt like the fuel filter had a few loose bits knocked into it, but each time it cleared up and I continued on. Got to L.A. right around sunset. That was the scary part. Three hours of stop-in-go with in-op brake lights! I may've bit a hole in the seat from all the puckering if you know what I mean. :-) 50 miles from home, a new sound nearly made me jump out of my seat and drive off the freeway. Sounded like the Blair Witch was screaming at me from within my dashboard. After regaining my composure, figured out that the tach needle had come off. Finally made it home safe and sound around 8:30 P.M. Big sigh of relief.

So, here's what I bought: A '69' 2000 with a newly rebuilt motor. Doesn't currently have Solexes installed, but I did get a set with the car that were taken off several years ago when the CA smog laws were different. Previous owner had to remove them in order to pass smog back then and he never got around to re-installing them. The Solexes sealed the deal.

On the flip side, I've got my work cut out for me. Kind of funny since I've never been mechanically inclined and don't have the foggiest where to start (so get ready for all my question posts!). I'm good at researching stuff though, so I supose I'll eventually get it figured out and I've got about 10 months before I'm going to go back to work, so lot's of free time! In the meantime, I'd like to take it to a good mechanic for an eval. Anyone know of reputable one in the San Diego North County that won't bleed the bank account? (I'll pose this question in another forum too). BTW, as Sidney mentioned to me via email - Internet pictures lie! It really needs a complete paint job. And thank you Sidney for your pointers. Much appreciated.

Shannon

http://www.priorityequipment.com/fish.h ... dster.html
RC240z
Roadsteraholic

Post by RC240z »

Congratulations on your find....Your new toy looks beautiful.

You are in luck, Les Cannaday's shop is in north county SD (Vista). www.classicdatsun.com or 760-940-6365.

Les maintains my Datsun race cars, and chances are you will see one or two of them any time you stop by his place. I have known Les for almost 10 years and he has always taken good care of my Datsuns. Les is very reasonable, and I know you will be pleased with your service from him.

Best,

Ron
Last edited by RC240z on Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
67.5 2000, SRL 311 000305 Solex
A race car since new!
Instagram #RC240Z #geoskyalert

check out my blog at www.rcnetworksracing.com
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Welcome Shannon! I think that you did well from what I have seen. That is a nice car! As always, I am happy to help.

If you need a new tach, they show up on eBay from time to time. There are differences, so start learning!
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
shifty
Roadster Enthusiast

Post by shifty »

The picture looks really good - is it an old one?

Looks like it is a '68 - no sidemarker lights. Many of these cars were titled with the year sold rather than the model year. Of course, the PO might have had them filled in. Your VIN number will tell for sure.
Leigh Brooks

http://www.shiftco.com - my blog about cars (and stuff)
Latest post: http://www.shiftco.com/radios/the-test-mule/

67.5 SRL-00139 sleeping
67.5 SPL-11481 suspended animation
67.5 SPL-12961 snoring
67.5 SPL-13622 - H20 PWR!
avidtest

Post by avidtest »

Thanks Ron. I'll be going there tomorrow!

Leigh, I think you're right. Have not been able to find (unearth) the frame VIN yet. Seems to be hidden under some gunk and paint, but the plate under the hood/behind the motor says the Car# is SRL5061. Engine# is 6445 as indicated on both the plate and on the engine.

And the pic is from the folks I just bought it from, but overall, that's how it looks. That is until you get close. Then you can see all the little chips. And upon closer inspection, looks like there may have been some damage on the left front. That headlight doesn't fit as nice and flush as the left.

If I keep it, I reckon it'll probably go back to a stock color. My preference is silver, black or sora blue. Not sure if sora blue was a color offered in 68, but it looks pretty good to me.

After I see what Les has to say I'll decide whether to start work on this one or just keep the Solex, sell this car and start with another.

Oh lord, what have I gotten myself into!? :D

Almost forgot; it should be noted that the wife and kids love it. I recently sold my first love, a '97' BMW 540i, supercharged to 425hp, w/ all the other bells and whistles (suspension, aero kit, wheels, short shifter, etc., etc., etc.). That car didn't impress them in the least. Too funny.
RC240z
Roadsteraholic

Post by RC240z »

Avidtest,

Let me know when you are planning on stopping by Les's place. I might be in the neighborhood, and would like to see your roadster.

It's funny, these cars do something to you....

They are wonderful cars.
A race car since new!

Seth W

Post by Seth W »

damn thats a nice looking car. hopefully some day mine will be as clean, I'm still working on tearing mine down to restore it.
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

From what I've observed, these cars are like Crack, one time and you are hooked. There is a 12 step program, but I don't have the room to park 12 Roadsters at the house. I think Stickerman is well along on the program, though.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
RC240z
Roadsteraholic

Post by RC240z »

Shannon,

It was nice to meet you and see your car. I see what you mean about the paint, it is very interesting....

Keep in touch as you get the little things squared away on your car.

Ron
A race car since new!

avidtest

Post by avidtest »

Nice to meet you too Ron. Had fun telling my family about going to the shop and what a cool little group roadster owners seem to be. It was also pretty funny to see Greg's new 67.5 from ebay that I was the 2nd bidder on sitting in the parking lot fresh from his trip from AZ.

Can't wait to have Les take a look at mine after Thanksgiving and start the improvement process. The more I learn about him and his shop, the luckier I feel about having such a great resource so close to home.

As a side note, I just found out that it was Les that sold that beautiful silver 67.5 to Soichi Shizu some time back. I'd been admiring the pictures of it on the web and was surprised and happy to see it had been restored by Les prior to going to Japan. Small world.

And final comment; it so much more fun driving it around than I expected. Not only the actual fun of it, but also the amount of attention it receives. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised as the reactions seem to be the same one I had after noticing one on the road for the 1st time a month ago.

Best Regards,

Shannon