Finally fixed the No start when hot problem

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

reblues
Site Supporter

Finally fixed the No start when hot problem

Post by reblues »

After a month of having to find a slight grade to park on anytime I stopped, I finally fixed my no starting problem. When the car warmed up the starter would just click.

This all started after I had replaced the crank & bearings due to a knock on acceleration. The replacement crank and bearings clearances were good. Mains were 038 with the range being 034-072. The Rods were 038 with the range 020 to 086. ( I also replaced the head with one with a recent valve job and my compression had gone up. So the engine is much tighter.

When first starting the newly assembled engine I overheated the starter. (I know, my bad :roll:). I double checked all grounds and connections. This gave a slight improvment I replaced the starter with another used one and had the same problem. I figured I was going to have to buy a new starter. Figured I may as well go to a gear reduction starter. Moneys tight, so the parking on a hill had to do for a while.

Yesterday I pulled the positive battery cable. The starter end had some slightly melted plastic and the wires looked tarnished. I cut off 1/2 inch and crimped on a new end.

Problem fixed. Whoooo Hooooo

Oh, the replacement crank fixed the knocking. Number 3 rod bearing on the old crank had more wear than the others. I also swapped transmissions so now I have 2nd gear syncros. Sure makes it nice for grabbing 2nd out of a corner.