A sad day......

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

steve68

Post by steve68 »

Im glad to hear that it will stay on the road...You have me beat in the newest old car...mines a 72 duster....

Steve
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

So what's the status of the Alfa?

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

The Alfa should run on its own power this weekend. It was a momentous day yesterday, it set itself on fire (the roadster did the same when I first put the mikunis on. :shock: ) Nothing serious, just starting fluid back firing out the intake (plugs were 180 out. The new dizzy cap is numbered differently). Ive gone through the electrical, everything works, the engine looks good to go, all the rubber fuel line has been replaced. I did run into a hiccup with the brake system that should be fixed this afternoon (one of the brake boosters has a leak. I think I can get a new gasket and rebuild it.) The clutch slave will be replaced this weekend. The interior is all cleaned up, the paint is as good as it will ever be (80 hours with a buffer). New plugs, wires, thermostat (other one looked perfect, no corrosion at all.) hoses, fuel filters, fuel pump (that one hurt), and a redone gas tank (that should be back next week). I'm going to try and run it using a gas can just to see if I find anything else. It will also allow me to run some fuel injector cleaner through. I'm guessing that they are kinda gross but will clean themselves out with some cleaner.

I should have pics next week of both the roadster and the Alfa.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

Post by Import_sounds-of-mid-GA »

after my BMW had been sitting for a few years I put a quart of ATF in the gas tank along with about a quarter of a tank. Smoked a little, DIDNT foul the plugs, and ran a whole lot better after that treatment... well, the tank of gas after that it ran better. Also did this on my datsun, my dads truck, and my bros truck.
ppeters914
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by ppeters914 »

Import_sounds-of-mid-GA wrote:after my BMW had been sitting for a few years I put a quart of ATF in the gas tank along with about a quarter of a tank.
ATF??? Like in Automatic Tranny Fluid??? :shock: Anyone else ever hear of that one?
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

ppeters914 wrote:
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA wrote:after my BMW had been sitting for a few years I put a quart of ATF in the gas tank along with about a quarter of a tank.
ATF??? Like in Automatic Tranny Fluid??? :shock: Anyone else ever hear of that one?

yep, automatic transmission fluid. My dad said back when he was 15/16 he would drag cars out of the woods and do that to get them back running. Seems to work really good too!
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

I've heard it too. ATF is very high detergent. Works well to clean your hands too, gets the grime off, then soap and water to get the ATF off.

Do you need to use Type F in Ford gas tanks?

Dave Brisco

66 2000 The Bobster
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

I've heard of the ATF treatment as well. I didn't use it however. I did attain repeatable sustained internal combustion for the first time in 30+ years yesterday. It smoked like no tomorrow for about 5 min then cleared up. No leaks, no strange noises. It warmed up to 190 and stayed there. Its not quite drivable yet but its close (waiting on a gastank.) Everything works, the heater is warm and doesn't leak. It will get better with some more run time. It idles really nicely. I think the whole exhaust system is rusted through so I will be doing a new one of those.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

Se if you can still get an Ansa or Monza system. Can't beat "sleazy Italian scrap metal" exhaust for the perfect sports car sound

Dave Brisco

66 2000 The Bobster
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
steve68

Post by steve68 »

dbrick wrote:Se if you can still get an Ansa or a Monza exhaust for the perfect sports car sound
still smoking crack i see :lol:

steve
ppeters914
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by ppeters914 »

steve68 wrote:
dbrick wrote:Se if you can still get an Ansa or a Monza exhaust for the perfect sports car sound

steve
Umm, not this time. Both exhausts were/are popular w/ the 914 crowd, though I prefer the Bursch.
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

ppeters914 wrote:
steve68 wrote:

steve
Umm, not this time. Both exhausts were/are popular w/ the 914 crowd, though I prefer the Bursch.

git dem flowmasters! :D

a 2" or 2.5" with a 40 series would actually probably sound quite nice.
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

I have never heard a 4 cyl engine with a flowmaster that sounded good. It came with a 2" exhaust from the factory. I'd leave it as is except it has all kinds of pin holes in everything.

I'm thinking a Magnaflow system that was put together by a guy on the Alfa board.

Will
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

ppeters914 wrote:
I may be smoking crack, but Pete is slurring "Bosch" :D

Will, my old roadster had 2" pipe, and an old fashioned 24 inch long Straight Thrush, It was perfect, you get the "ripping canvas" sound at WOT, and little burbles and pops when you engine brake. The Ansa/Monza is high quality stuff, generally.
Flowmasters are brutal, I have a 40 series Delta on one of my trucks, it resonates like you wouldn't believe. Scares small children and sets off car alarms, which is good, but gives me a headache at highway speed.

The Flow Tec Fantom is on my other truck, nice, a bit loud, but civilized.
Quieter than the Flowmaster, but you can look right through it!?!

Dave Brisco

66 2000 The Bobster
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

I already have the loud exhaust monster. I don't need another. The new setup for the alfa is on the back burner for now. The system that I found is full stainless from the manifold back.

Will