temperature sending unit

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

DaRoaster
Roadster Fanatic

temperature sending unit

Post by DaRoaster »

Can anyone give me some advice on how to remove the temperature sending unit on a 1600? I got the collar out with a socket, but the brass center is tightly pressed into the engine block. The coolant line is just above it, and it doesn't want to come out either.

The picture shows the coolant line and the sending unit with the exhaust manifold in the foreground. Thre red goo is probably Loctite (r) applied by a previous mechanic. The orange around the temp sending unit is rust.
I may have to replace the brass collar that goes around the temp sending unit--it's quite rusty as well.

spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Remove the thermostat tower and thermostat. From there, you can see the bottom of the sender. Hit it with a drift - plan on lots of profanity...
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
DaRoaster
Roadster Fanatic

Post by DaRoaster »

No luck with the hammer and drift. This produced a hole in the back of the temp sending unit. Perhaps I oughtta try heating up the head with a torch.
The next thing to try if that doesn't work is to take the head off and have whats left of the temp sending unit drilled out. At that point I might as well have hardened valve seats put in. I had a heck of a time getting the thermostat and water tower out.
Dennis
1970 1600
JFBrink
Roadster Fanatic

Post by JFBrink »

I had the same problem with getting my sensor out. From the outside, anything I could get a grip on just tore off. From the inside, all I could do was dent or puncture the sensor.

So, I began a very careful grinding-away process with the dremel, from the outside. After more than an hour, what remained of the sensor was paper thin and, loosened by the heat, could be pushed out from within.

Good luck.

Jesse.
DaRoaster
Roadster Fanatic

Post by DaRoaster »

Was the head out of the car?
I got the dremel out and realized I don't have much room to work with in the engine bay.
Dennis
1970 1600
JFBrink
Roadster Fanatic

Post by JFBrink »

The head was in the car, but none of the cooling hoses were installed.

I also don't have a wiper fluid reservoir or anything else in that corner.

Jesse.
DaRoaster
Roadster Fanatic

Post by DaRoaster »

I'm happy to report she's back on the road. The dremel worked! I used a carbide bit and a variable footswitch. I also changed the thermostat and a few hoses while I was at it. I could not locate a water outlet that had a 3/8" thread and a 1/2" outlet, so I put the old one back in. The temperature gauge is now working properly. Thanks for all your help, fellas.
Dennis
1970 1600
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

To save alot of trouble in the future, next time you drain the coolant refill with coolant mixed with distilled water, much less corrosion and crap later on.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
Tim Putland

Temp sending unit (follow up)

Post by Tim Putland »

From what I am reading, the sending unit was detroyed during removal and had to be replaced, correct? If so, from whom did you get the replacement? Anything relating to the sending unit get replaced at the same time? Did I read about a collar as well?

Thanks!!

Tim