Taking apart front wheel/suspension area

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

nking79

Taking apart front wheel/suspension area

Post by nking79 »

I'm having some trouble getting the front right wheel/suspension area apart - any assistance would be greatly appreciated:

1. The lower ball joint will not come out of the back of the spindle

2. The horizontal part of the spindle will not disconnect from the steering linkage

3. How do I get the pistons out of the caliper? Pull? Twist?

Thanks
datsunrides
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by datsunrides »

Assuming I understand yourdescription correctly;

1- These are a taper fit, therefore will require some "persuasion". If you are planning on replacing the ball joint, a pickle fork should do the job. if you wish to re-use the ball joint, try smacking one side of the spindle (where the ball joint stud goes thru) with a single jack (or other heavy hammer) while backing it up on the opposite side with another heavy hammer. A few solid strikes should break it loose unless it is heavily rusted. In that case, a little heat in the area should solve that issue (watch that grease around flames!!) Also, make sure you have something supporting the lower control arm so the spring doesn't come shooting out at you when then ball joint comes loose!!! :shock:

2-Should be the same as #1, except you don't have to worry about flying springs :lol:

3-Safest: connect grease gun to bleeder, open the bleeder, and pump full of grease. Quickest: remove bleeder and shoot in compressed air (stick a piece of wood inside the caliper to prevent the piston from flying out completly) Be sure to remove the interconnect tube and plug the openings so the pistons are removed separately.

Good luck and work safe!

Mark
1966 Roadster
Turbo / EFI U20 (T25 w/ SDS EMU.)
spyder
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by spyder »

I've had good luck with the blue tipped wrench on the suspension parts. A little heat and they tend to cooperate. You will need new seals afterward but I assume you are replacing all this stuff if you are pulling it apart. Compressed air on the calipers ... works wonders.
nking79

Post by nking79 »

How should I go about applying heat? Would a lubricant such as liquid wrench work help get these parts loose?
spyder
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by spyder »

What? You have a car this old and no torch? Oh the humanity!