Heat woes causing fuel to evaporate??

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

67 1/2 1600

Heat woes causing fuel to evaporate??

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

Took my car out today in the +100 deegree weather and it ran cool on the freeway 190". Then I got off and hit a stoplight and my temp went up to 210!! Once I get moving it goes back to normal? I have the small metal fan, could a bigger one help? Also my biggest issue is when I am stopped at a stoplight or in traffic in this heat my @ 210 my car starts starving of fuel! It cuts out you can hear sucking and bogging and then its liek choking and shut off! I had to pull over and I blew in the gas tank and it fired right up! And on a uphill it will bog too but on a even road i have no issues?? Could my gas tank from hell be releasing crud??

Thanks for the tips!
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Joaquin,
Does your car have the metal fan with the fan clutch also? If so I think the consensus is to get rid of them both and replace with the four blade plastic fan and spacer block, like what Dean sells.
If I recall correctly the bad fan clutch contributed to overheating, so best to eliminate it.
Or ask Dean or one of the other vendors about it.
Overheating not good.
Yesterday it was 112, a record.

Linda
68 1600
Los Angeles
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

Linda, I have the stock 4 blade metal fan. It is the one without the clutch.

Yeah it has been quite toasty here in Socal! You can really feel it when you dont have A/C!!
itsa68
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600

Post by itsa68 »

Joaquin:
I found that my R16 would also climb a few degrees when at long traffic lights or traffic jam during a extremely hot day.
It seems that when I have the idle at about 600-650 rpm , the temp would go up.
If I give it a just tad of gas peddle to keep the rpms at about 950 during the long waits, the temp does not rise as in the low idle.
The water pump and fan must be a little more efficient at the slightly higher rpm.

As for the fuel starvation, could it be a bit of vapour lock because of the heat?
Also, I had my heat shield off the manifold for a while, and my carbs didnt like that at all. They seemed to get a little fuel starved.
Things cleared up after the shield was put back on.

My heater core always has coolant flowing thru it and the heater box fresh air intake is shut off (also flapped between defrost and floor). This seems to help maintain a lower temp and not put any more heat into the cockpit area.

Ray B.
Thats not a R16 death rattle....its a dried leaf hitting my heater blower fan.
1968 SPL311 non-smog
spyder
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by spyder »

Some people use electric fans with success. In my case it did not work well so I removed the electric one and went with a stainless flex fan from summit racing and it works super! It flattens out at higher rpm and pulls more at lower rpms.