Spark plugs color-diagnosis?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Jorge022770

Spark plugs color-diagnosis?

Post by Jorge022770 »

Guys:

Although I have been too busy studying for the BAR (yup, it's two weeks away!!!) and therefor have had no playtime in the garage, I do start the engine once a week or so...

Before my "forced secluded life" I replaced the spark plugs like two months ago. Since then I have actually taken the car for a spin once, but started and reved the engine every one or two weeks. I removed plugs #2 and #4 to check them, and they are black. When I start the engine, I use the choke only to start the engine and disengage it within 10 seconds of start, then use the hand throttle to keep the revs around 2000rpm for about a minute, then releasing it. I don't leave the engine running at idle for too long either, just a few minutes altogether.

So, are the plugs black because I'm not driving the car, because I'm doing something wrong, or are there any other possible reasons?

Jorge
nismou20
Roadsteraholic

Post by nismou20 »

Jorge,

Visual checks of sparkplugs without subjecting the engine to loads under various rpm's for any length time is a poor way to evaluate performance. Go out and drive the car for about 20 min and I mean go thru the gears. Chances are that your mixture at idle is probably not the same as your mixture at WOT.

Tom
spyder
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by spyder »

It's a carbureted engine. They tend to run rich. If you get 25 to 30 mpg don't worry. Mine is nowhere near stock and the plugs generally are dark but I still can get 22 mpg if I baby it.