Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Tim
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Follow up question to my clutch/transmission problem-Jorge

Post by Tim »

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I read the entry from November 29, 2003, and how Jorge helped Vinh (Datsundude) fix his stuck between gears transmission. The symptoms sound much the same as mine. My questions is how do I keep my car from doing this in the future. It has happened twice before. What causes the problem in the first place. What is the preventive measure to be taken.
spyder
Model: 2000

Post by spyder »

Need more details. Is it stuck in one gear so when you let out the clutch it will move or not. Will it roll with the clutch in?
Datsundude
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Datsundude »

Tim,

The root cause of my transmission locked up in reverse was I had the tranny apart for service clean and replace gasket and seal.
When everything were done I put the tranny back together…on the process of putting back together I accidentally had the reverse gear in reverse but without the striking rod go along with it so that’s the reason why I can not disengage reverse with striking rod.

So here what I did to disengage it…. At the bottom of the tranny remove the cover (square with lots of bolts. where you drain the tranny gear oil) once you removed it you should see three rod, If I remember correctly you want to shift the one at the middle, I used a towel wrap around it and use a pliers to grab it with and shift it forward toward the motor or radiator if your motor or tranny is on the car.

You mentioned this was your second times it happened, how did you disengage it the first time that it happened?
If you got it disengaged the first time and happened again, I think your problem with the tranny is the striking rod where it pushes the reverse gear into reverse and somehow after it got into reverse, the striking rod off tracked and you unable to get it disengage from reserves. I hope this make sense to you

By the way it never got locked in reverse again ever since that.

Vinh
Tim
Model: 1500/1600

follow up question

Post by Tim »

Hi Spyder,

When the clutch is let out and the engine is running- it will only go in reverse. When the engine is shut off , it will not move unless the clutch is depressed.
Jorge022770

Post by Jorge022770 »

Tim:

When I had that problem was also while I was installing the tranny. The problem was exactly as Vinh describes, and while he solved it without having to pull out the tranny, in my case I had the engine/tranny on the frame without the body on, so it wasn't hard for me to remove the tail cover and redo it.

If this has happened more than once with the tranny on and closed, I agree with the suggested problem of the striking rod being off track...or something being out of allignment and/or orientation with the gears where they engage the striking rod. You might want to consider taking a look in there if the problem continues. Were you able to go to my page and look at the pics I put there for Vinh? They might help you locate and do what Vinh did. Let me know what happens

Jorge