Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Linusrp
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

65-67 Heater Electrical Question

Post by Linusrp »

I am hooking up a 1965-67 heater. I have checked the wiring diagram and it shows a blue/green wire hooked up to the heater switch lower post (check). Then it shows two blue/white wires coming from the heater unit (check). I have both wires (wrapped) then splitting coming from the heater unit but there is only one post (top) on the heater switch. It appears on the diagram that these two blue/white wires are inter-connected (a line connected to both, not an electrician so I am assuming this), and then they both connect to the heater switch on seperate posts. Does anyone know if the heater switch is suppose to be a three post switch or if only one of the two blue/white wires actually needs to be connected? One of the blue/white wires has a red plastic cover wrapping on the end. The other wire does not. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
1967 1600 restored
1968 1600 Gone & Buried
1970 1600 Gone & Buried
TR

Post by TR »

It has been forever since I have seen my heater or had it in the car, but if I remember correctly (fat chance!), the bottom terminal is the common and goes to the fuse box. The top two terminals are 'low' and 'high'. I am not sure if it matters which you connect to where, but I would put the one with the red band on the top terminal of the switch and try it out.

If you have a low and high, I think you are good to go....Otherwise reverse them! TR
Linusrp
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Heater Wires

Post by Linusrp »

Thanks Travis,
I finally pulled the darn thing out and realized it actually had three posts, one clear up at the top. I then connected the wire with the red cap, just like you suggested, to the top post and connected the other blue wire to the middle post. Finally connected the green/blue wire to the bottom post and fired it up. High and low both work on the blower and with the new core I've got heat. Since it was 95 degrees in the shade today that isn't such great news but it will be come January when it's only 10 degrees. This will make those winter afternoons feel ever so slightly warmer. Atleast my right knee anyway. Thanks again for the help. Have a good fourth.
1967 1600 restored
1968 1600 Gone & Buried
1970 1600 Gone & Buried
TR

Post by TR »

Glad you have it working!

I am still working on heat (although it is only to take the edge off since I do not plan to have a top on the car - I wonder how well a toneau that zips open for the driver does for cold drives?). Not a high priority...

Once the 510 is dialed in, it will be the cold weather car (CA cold, you know, 40 degrees)...TR