My first '67 1/2 Datsun 2000 roadster trip!

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Cap'n Ron
Roadster Nut

My first '67 1/2 Datsun 2000 roadster trip!

Post by Cap'n Ron »

Okay, so I picked up Dan's '67 1/2 2000 Roadster yesterday at his house in San Mateo, CA and I'm sure I've met a nicer guy, but I can't remember when. He went over what was clearly a long and fond relationship he had with his car...pointing out little nuances here and there. "You'll find a little extra length of wire here 'cause I just found it was easier to..." That sort of thing. He pointed out a starter button up under the dash for that time he was having trouble with the "start" position on the ignition.

I ended up buying the Panasports that were already on the car and we loaded up the stock wheels, sans tires...where ever we coud fit them. I was concerned that my 6'2" frame would be a tight fit and my head would stick up over the low windshield...not at all. Getting seated up, I was looking right between the upper two-thirds of the windshield!

Satisfied that I could do a 400+ mile return trip down the Pacific Coast Highway in a 39 year old car, I headed out. I stopped at the gas station on the corner and filled up, excited about the trip. Getting back in the car, it wouldn't start. Turn the key...and you'd get a little engine turn, but not a full turn-over. I tried this a few times, then I remembered the start button. Sure enough, it fired right up and I was on my way.

Dan told me to take Skyline Road on the way down to the coast "'cause it was made for a roadster!" :D There were cyclists everywhere and as I slowly passed the first batch, I hear, "Wow...check out that Datsun!!" Put a smile on my face! Then no more than 100 feet up the road, two guys on Harley's pulled up along side me and said, "Nice F-in roadster!!!" Okay, I'm starting to see what all the fuss is about. I got a chance to open her up on Skyline Road and wow...that thing just STICKS in the corners. I took it easy and would just add a little more speed in each turn on an unknown road and what a blast!

I hit PCH going South and picked a pace of around 70 on the speedo. Smooth, yes, very smooth. It was chilly, so I pulled over and put on a long sleeve shirt and headed back with a nice ocean breeze all around me. Hey, this roadster thing is fun. I was getting thumbs up from people in other cars, kids alongside the highway and questions from people at my picture spots. "That's in great shape...what year is it?" "It's a 67." "How long have you owned it?" "Around two hours." :D At one point, I was thinking that it must look really cool going down the road...like the way the front suspension and the lines of the body worked as I went over bumps inthe road. I stuck my head way out to take a look and lost my hat. Um, yeah. I saw it in the rear-view mirror...it took a couple of flips and landed on the side of the road. I did bring a spare for this eventuality, but that being my favorite...I backed up and got it. Nice.

Down in Monterey I decided to take the 17-mile drive around Pebble Beach...maybe take some more pictures. It was another fun little jaunt around some twisty, scenic roads. I did the obligatory stop at the Lone Cypress for some pictures...I hadn't been there in years. The tree is still the same, growing out of a building-sized chunk of rock just 100 or so feet out in the ocean. Very cool. Anyway, I walk up the stairs back to my car and there's an entire Japanese tour bus of people standing around the car taking pictures! This was cool. One of them asked me something that I nodded and apparently agreed to. Her 20 year-old son wanted to sit behind the wheel to get his picture taken. He jumped in and the cameras were flashing. He was getting out and I told him to hold on a second...I wanted a picture of him in my car...getting his picture taken! This was a little surreal. He got out and his DAD got in...he posed for some pictures as well...I was then asked what company made my car (took me a while to figure this out). She asked if it was a Chevrolet. I then said Datsun! ...and she pointed to the emblem on the front quarter with little fanfare as if she's never heard of Datsun. It didn;t occur to me to say, "Nissan"...by then I was grinning too much and driving away. :mrgreen:

The rest of the trip was as fun as the first half. Met a bunch of people on my route. People telling me stories about ones their dad had...One that an uncle used to race...y'know...with the tiny windshield...

I think I lost a carbuerator return spring along the route and spent some time hunting one down in the middle of nowhere. I convinced a Kragen Auto Parts employee to re-open at that hour and sell me a package of assorted return springs. I tipped him for being so nice. Popped it on there and the idle is *almost* right. I have roadster friend coming over this afternoon to check out the car and they're bringing proper springs. : )

I can already tell this is going to be a great adventure.

Cap'n Ron. . .
Conner
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Conner »

Sounds like a ton of fun. I can't wait to get mine on the road!
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

Post by Import_sounds-of-mid-GA »

Congrats.... those stories bring back memories of riding around in my dads bright yellow 67 chevelle SS396. They also make me want to go to my gradfathers and get my roadster!
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:First Roadster Trip

Post by S Allen »

Great story Cap 'N Ron. And to think it has only just begun. Is this your first roadster?

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
project_timemachine
Roadster Fanatic

Post by project_timemachine »

Wow! What a memorable start! Post some pictures!!! Congrats on the great find! :D
Steven
'65 Fairlady Racer

"Life is like a box of used Datsun parts, you'll never know what you're gonna get..."

http://www.projecttm.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/stevenflor
datsun65
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000

Post by datsun65 »

Just to finish off the 'other-half' of Ron's story...

Ron arrived right on time Saturday morning (at San Francisco Airport) to pick up the roadster. Then he was kind enough to listen to my 1+ hour of banter about Datsun Roadsters and everything I could think to tell him about the 67 2000. In the true tradition of roadster owners on 311s.org , Ron took out a big 'ol digital camera and snapped a few roadster pictures before heading off on his great adventure down highway 1.

Sounds like an awesome trip down the coast!

Enjoy the ride....

Hint: When you crank the ignition, Hold it in the 'on' position (all the way clockwise)for about 2-3 seconds. The key/ignition should be okay..
Dan
Houston, TX
Cap'n Ron
Roadster Nut

Re: RE:First Roadster Trip

Post by Cap'n Ron »

S Allen wrote:Great story Cap 'N Ron. And to think it has only just begun. Is this your first roadster?

Steve
Yep, this is my first roadster. I had a 20 year old '69 Karmann Ghia once and that was a hoot... Lots of attention, a blast to drive. This is a whole 'nuther step above the Ghia though.

I'm taking it to the office tomorrow...There are a bunch of people vying for "first ride" position... Should be fun!

Cap'n Ron. . .
Cap'n Ron
Roadster Nut

Post by Cap'n Ron »

datsun65 wrote:Just to finish off the 'other-half' of Ron's story...

Ron arrived right on time Saturday morning (at San Francisco Airport) to pick up the roadster. Then he was kind enough to listen to my 1+ hour of banter about Datsun Roadsters and everything I could think to tell him about the 67 2000. In the true tradition of roadster owners on 311s.org , Ron took out a big 'ol digital camera and snapped a few roadster pictures before heading off on his great adventure down highway 1.

Sounds like an awesome trip down the coast!

Enjoy the ride....

Hint: When you crank the ignition, Hold it in the 'on' position (all the way clockwise)for about 2-3 seconds. The key/ignition should be okay..
Thanks Dan...I'll try that with the ignition.

My friends came over this afternoon with the proper carb return spring to replace the one I cobbled up on the road yesterday and that did the trick. Man, this thing runs great! I spent the afternoon today washing it and giving her the full Zaino treatment. It really shines and makes my garage look better. :D

Cap'n Ron. . .
ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600

Post by ppeters914 »

Interesting....there's a Cap'n Ron on the 914 list. Naaaaw, it couldn't be..... :roll:
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
eastmedia
Site Supporter

Post by eastmedia »

Hmm...

400 miles south of San Fran? That would put you right near..LA!!
Another Roadster for SoCal? Hey CAP.Ron. Gonna join us for Autocross July 8th? Check the Club Banter section.

Congrats!

Another Ron
Ron
66 1600 Cherry
69 1600 Beast
69 2000 Rough
67.5 1600 Basket Case (in the family)
66 1600 race car (Steve Allen's)
70 1600 survivor (sold 2020)
68 1600 Beauty (sold 2014)
68 1600 My first (sold 1991)
Cap'n Ron
Roadster Nut

Post by Cap'n Ron »

ppeters914 wrote:Interesting....there's a Cap'n Ron on the 914 list. Naaaaw, it couldn't be..... :roll:
Nope...not me. I am on the Pirate4x4 board as Cap'n Ron for my rock crawling habit though. :mrgreen:

Cap'n Ron. . .
Cap'n Ron
Roadster Nut

Post by Cap'n Ron »

eastmedia wrote:Hmm...

400 miles south of San Fran? That would put you right near..LA!!
Another Roadster for SoCal? Hey CAP.Ron. Gonna join us for Autocross July 8th? Check the Club Banter section.

Congrats!

Another Ron
Thanks! Yep...I'm in Woodland Hills, CA. Hmmm...autocross? Now THAT sounds interesting! :D

Cap'n Ron. . .
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

Didn't they tell you? Every ride is like that.
You have to allow extra time for talking to strangers at lights and parking lots. Other thing to watch for, people gawking at you on the interstate and veering toward you as they look. My replica MGTD was an attention magnet, made my Wife paranoid.

Other thing to watch out for...If you get next to another car, usually a black van with nice shiny paint on your left, and you look over at your reflection and just marvel at how cool it looks.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
DatsunBucky
Roadsteraholic

Post by DatsunBucky »

dbrick wrote:...If you get next to another car, usually a black van with nice shiny paint on your left, and you look over at your reflection and just marvel at how cool it looks.
Or behind a tanker truck with a big polished mirror on the back of the tank...
Bucky
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

DatsunBucky wrote:Or behind a tanker truck with a big polished mirror on the back of the tank...
Whew, thought it was just me that did that. Only downside to the tanker is you see how far your hairline has receded.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit