Electronic distributor conversion

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Lars
Roadster Fanatic

Electronic distributor conversion

Post by Lars »

Hello all,

I want an el dizzy for my H20 engine. All threads I have found in this forum recommends the Gary Boone conversion. But since the GB el dizzy are currently NLA some alternatives are needed.

Anyone here know of any links to write-ups on how create your own conversion (Nissan or other brands) or willing to share their experiences on how you made one?

I am also considering a Petronix, but I would prefer one made of Nissan parts if it's possible.

Thanks.
Lars Tungen
SPL311-09900
SRL311-12362
Online parts catalog: http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun311" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Conner
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Conner »

You may want to contact GB himself. I believe he is a on the Member List here. Since he is too busy with his project to make them for sale he may be willing to share how to make one with you on a one-off basis.
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:EI Conversion

Post by S Allen »

Scott Lindley did his own conversion. Scott is a member but not sure how often he logs on. He did his a bit differently than the GB conversion I believe. Scott you out there?

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600

Post by Linda »

Having a GB dizzy is one of the best mods for the Roadster in my not so expert opinion. It's too bad Garry doesn't have time right now. If there was a kit for a distributor conversion I would consider it because I have an extra distributor. Nice to have a spare. But Garry does the nicest job and the dizzys look and function very well, plus the install instructions are very clear.

Linda
68 1600
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

Post by Import_sounds-of-mid-GA »

i got pertronix.... works good fer me so far! runs a WHOLE lot smoother than stock points.
Lars
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Lars »

I found a write-up on a Datsun 1200 page:
http://datsun1200.com/modules/nsections ... e&artid=58

Think I will give it a try. Going to the junkyard tomorrow to look for parts.

BTW: Has anyone tried the Crane unit on a R16/H20?
Lars Tungen
SPL311-09900
SRL311-12362
Online parts catalog: http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun311" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

id use MSD if i were you!
Lars
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Lars »

Import_sounds-of-mid-GA wrote:id use MSD if i were you!
What is the MSD?
Lars Tungen
SPL311-09900
SRL311-12362
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

Multi Spark Discharge just a really good igniton/spark unit
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

I used a Crane electronic conversion, optical LED pickup, it was easy. I want to add an MSD later.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
spyder

Post by spyder »

I ran mine for years with a pertronics module inside the dis without a resistor. The coil would get wicked hot but the spark would jump out of the coil to the primary terminals without a center wire. I figured it was only a matter of time before it failed so I carried points and a new coil just to be safe. One of the benefits of this setup is the module would retard the timing to zero degrees until the engine hit 400 rpm. This made for easy starts. Points won't do this. I finally removed the dis to use an Electromotive crank trigger setup. Not cheap but was more accurate and tuneable. I even set it up to use a MAP sensor for cruise economy.
twinight
Roadster Fanatic

Post by twinight »

spyder wrote: I even set it up to use a MAP sensor for cruise economy.
Details, we want details!
How does it adjust spark based on engine load?
Steve
70' 1600
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

spyder wrote:I ran mine for years with a pertronics module inside the dis without a resistor. The coil would get wicked hot but the spark would jump out of the coil to the primary terminals without a center wire. I figured it was only a matter of time before it failed so I carried points and a new coil just to be safe. One of the benefits of this setup is the module would retard the timing to zero degrees until the engine hit 400 rpm. This made for easy starts. Points won't do this. I finally removed the dis to use an Electromotive crank trigger setup. Not cheap but was more accurate and tuneable. I even set it up to use a MAP sensor for cruise economy.
One version of the Crane uses a resistor, the other full 12 volts to the coil.
Does the MAP function as an electronic vacuum advance to sense load? The nice thing to add would be a knock sensor the way gas is now.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
spyder

Post by spyder »

The electromotive igniton system has inputs for changing the base timing +/- 7degrees. The map sensor is connected to the vacuum of the intake and is powered by the igniton system. It works just like a mechanical advance only electronically, which the solexes originally did not use. I added a signal modifer to the sensor to work with my big lopey cam.

And concerning preigniton, this thing has knobs which allows you to dial in base advance, climb to 3k rpm and +/- 8k rpm plus a rev limiter. So if you fool with it enough knock should not be an issue.

I don't use the rev limiter because it's max is 8k. It woukd brick wall there but I felt it still would pull past that, Got brave (crazy) and took it off. .... No big bang yet!!!
clunker
Roadster Nut

Post by clunker »

I would also be very interested in the results to this thread. I have been wondering about switching to EI but with Gary taking a break I have just put it all on hold. Let me know if anyone figures anything out.
Steve Moore
1966 1600 (swapping a U20 in)
---------------------------------------------------
Nope, its supposed to make that noise.