Good place to buy a soft top?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

scotty
Roadster Fanatic

Good place to buy a soft top?

Post by scotty »

I had a new one in the box that came with the car when I bought it. I had it put on , but it never fit very well. It didn't meet the snaps in very many spots. I think it was a poor after market product. It's time to get a new one, any suggestions?
Linusrp
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Softtop

Post by Linusrp »

If you had it installed it doesn't sound like they did a very good job to me. Most new softtops come without snaps and if the top is fitted correctly the installer places the snaps in the correct position over the existing snap mounts. It needs to be tight at first because the material will flex when used, and then shrink slightly when not used. INstalling it on a hot day helps. If your going to use the same installers I would have seconds thoughts. I have a Robbins I bought a few years back which you can order from most places, check the internet or call one of the vendors on the list. Most carry good softtops. Key is the correct installation.
1967 1600 restored
1968 1600 Gone & Buried
1970 1600 Gone & Buried
RockFish
Roadster Fanatic

Good place to buy a soft top ...

Post by RockFish »

Most of the vendors carry them - Since you're in LA, call Dean http://www.datsunparts.com - He'll also give you the name of a local shop(around Northridge) that has done good installs in the past, is familiar with our cars etc.
RC240z
Roadsteraholic

Post by RC240z »

You can contact Les Cannaday as well 760-640-6365. He is in North San Diego county.

I have seen several roadster soft tops installed at his shop and they do a first class job.

www.classicdatsun.com

les@classicdatsun.com
67.5 2000, SRL 311 000305 Solex
A race car since new!
Instagram #RC240Z #geoskyalert

check out my blog at www.rcnetworksracing.com
Howard R
Roadsteraholic

Post by Howard R »

I bought a stayfast top from Dean and had it installed at Chatsworth Auto Upholstery. They were referred by Dean and did an excellent job.
Datsundude
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Datsundude »

I heard the top installation cost more than the soft top it self. I have checked a few places in LA area, they want $350 to $400 for installation and I provide the soft top.

Vinh
Howard R
Roadsteraholic

Post by Howard R »

That price sounds about right. I'm not sure, but I think my install was about $400.00. In the long run it does pay to have it done right. Doesn't make sense to pay for a new top and have to live with a half ass job.
Datsundude
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Datsundude »

So those guys weren’t crazy after all…. I curst them off after they told me how much to install a soft top, perhaps I should call them back and apology.

$400 for top installation is really cutting into my budget. Has anyone successfully installed the top by them and satisfied with it? And what is your procedure?

Vinh
Howard R
Roadsteraholic

Post by Howard R »

I've heard horror stories about self installs. My advice is to save up and do it right. The pros know what they are doing. Just my opinion.
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Check under Restoration Tips on this site for a soft top install.
Key would be to go very slowly and measure alot. Maybe get someone to help you.

Linda
Datsundude
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Datsundude »

I don’t think I can afford to pay someone $400 to install my top… if I have to I’ll use an umbrella rain or shine.

Vinh
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Ldino21
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Ldino21 »

Hey Scotty

I have paid between 200 and 280 to have my Soft top Installed, Most upholstery shops who know what they are doing should be able to handle it.

One reccommendation I make if you are buying one of the Soft Tops the many vendors offer I would make sure whoever installs it, to install the Snap ons sideways, they clip better then if you put them straight up and down. I forgot to tell an installer that and the top looked good but the snaps would come undone while I was driving down the road, which can cause flapping and eventually paint damage!!

Just my .02 cents

Lou Smaldino
Lou Smaldino
Vacaville, CA

Enjoying the ride!!
dumbaxe

Post by dumbaxe »

is it cool to take the whole soft top off for painting? wil the frame go back onthe car ok after?
Just wondering if i should just get a tonnau cover untill im ready for body and paint.
I have a hardtop for when the weather is crappy, and a weatherguard car cover.
DatsunBucky
Roadsteraholic

Post by DatsunBucky »

If it's like the 67.5s, just remove the nuts at the pivot on each side and remove the whole works. Goes back on the pivot and lines up just like before.
Bucky