to pull or not to pull?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

67 1/2 1600

to pull or not to pull?

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

Im going to change the cam in my 1600 and im debating wether I should try to do it with the engine in the car or pull it out and change it. Any thoughts?
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

I'd pull the engine, it just allows more flexability when pulling it apart, and or putting it back together. I always find that I can't get my hands/wrenches on the rear header/intake bolts. Since you are working on the front of the engine, that really doesn't make any difference. You will still have to pull the waterpump, radiator, and timing cover. Installing the cam is a very delecate job as you don't want to scratch the cam bearings.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
Victor_laury

Post by Victor_laury »

To pull the cam on a R motor, youv'e got to get the lifters out of the way. the best way is to turn the engine up-side down. try that while the engine is in!

Altjhough, you could get 8 pick-up magnets...
crispy

Post by crispy »

speaking of pulling a r-16 motor. I have been looking for a step by step and can't find one. Anybody have any links to how it should be done?

Thanks,

Cris
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

Post by Import_sounds-of-mid-GA »

Victor_laury wrote:To pull the cam on a R motor, youv'e got to get the lifters out of the way. the best way is to turn the engine up-side down. try that while the engine is in!

Altjhough, you could get 8 pick-up magnets...
Alvins motor is upside down

I agree with Will, pull dat beast.
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

I thought about pulling it, but reality is I dont have much space in the garage besides being able to have the car in there. I also did have in mind the 8 magnet things...... If I pull the motor I know I will make a mess, but it would allow to clean the engine bay and finally paint the engine the desired blue. decisions decisions....
DatsunBucky
Roadsteraholic

Post by DatsunBucky »

Since you know you better than anyone, ask yourself a question. Picture yourself a few months from now. When you look at the engine sitting there in the bay, are you going to say: "Dang! I should have pulled the engine and painted it when I replaced the cam."?

Unless it's your sole source of daily transportation, take the time to pull it and do it right. You'll thank yourself later down the road.

Besides, you can check the condition of the lifters and anything else in there at that time. One time I had one lifter that had so little of the portion that rides on the cam left that it could almost fall through the lifter bore.

You might want to pull a main cap and a connecting rod cap to look at the bearings. Better to find out now if they need "help". If they're OK, then just put them back on and re-torque the bolts.

It doesn't have to turn into a major deal, but why not check what you can?
Bucky
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

Bucky I guess you are right. Ill probably pull it out sometime down the road. It is not my daily driver anymore so its my toy car now though. One day....