Need help with electrical problem

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Maggie

Need help with electrical problem

Post by Maggie »

Well, I got my car back from the High School where it was painted. The paint looks great. The problem is the lights. Some of the kids cut wires instead of just disconnecting them. Now, I have head lights, tail lights, brake lights and turn signals, as soon as I turn on the headlights my turn signals don't work. Also, when the turn signals blink all 4 rear lights blink.
My horn also stopped working. Please help.

Maggie
FergO2k
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

lites, wires, etc

Post by FergO2k »

Maggie,
a bit of a mess, but not terrible.
It sounds like they may have t'd the lines in the rear (connected both side blinkers in line rather than to the separate connections.
Best bet there is to strip back whatever tape/insulation they have put on until you find the re-spliced wires, then re-connect per the wiring diagrams.
Same with the front, provided they didn't alter anything under the dash.
I am going to have a wiring diagram printed (14" x 24"), by an old friend and I'll let you know how it turns out. It'd be worth getting a large one, posting it on the garage wall, as you'll be diving in.
Electrical re-connecting is really pretty easy. Soldering is easy to master and parts are cheap.
Even if you take it to a shop, if you do the research and find which are the right connections (versus paying for them to learn from the same wiring diagram!), then tell them which to connect, you'll learn a lot more and it'll be way cheaper.
Good luck, Fergus O, 69 200 with wiring woes, HB, CA
Maggie

Post by Maggie »

Thank you for your reply. I will give it a try.

Maggie
Datsundude
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Datsundude »

I agreed with Fergus using the wiring diagram for reference, it really helps a lot when trouble shooting.

I would go through all the electrical again just to be safe

Good luck and keep us posted.

Vinh
Skyman

Post by Skyman »

Maggie, if you need a good wiring diagram, go to www.slash5.com I picked up a nice full color 11X17 laminated diagram for about 17 bucks I think. Nice product. Since I have not started the wiring part of my project, I cannot attest to the accuracy. (But I hear they are accurate) Good Luck.

Kyle
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Maggie,
There are wiring diagrams on this site under "Electrical". However only the 68 one is in color I believe. The color diagram makes it so much easier to see what is going on. A definite necessity even if you are bringing it in for repairs.
If those kids had had a diagram they might not have cut wires (what were they thinking?)
How about posting a photo of the car now that it is painted?

Linda
68 1600
project_timemachine
Roadster Fanatic

Post by project_timemachine »

I'm also having some electrical problems/"glitches" with the headlights. It was fine last week...now it wouldn't turn on. The lights on the instrument gauges won't work either. The turn signals work as well as the fog lights. Is this caused by a faulty relay?? Darn! :shock:

Maggie, post some pics so that we could enjoy the new paint job on your roadster!!! :D
Steven
'65 Fairlady Racer

"Life is like a box of used Datsun parts, you'll never know what you're gonna get..."

http://www.projecttm.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/stevenflor
Maggie

Post by Maggie »

I think I found the problem. The headlight relay has 2 of the wires that are about to fall of and one wire came loose. I tried to repair it but there is just to much corrosion. I will need to replace it.

Maggie
project_timemachine
Roadster Fanatic

Yup the problem on mine is the headlight relay as well...had it replaced. There have been blown fuses as well and replaced them. The distrubing thing is that the relay is relatively new (3 months old) and it needed to be replaced as well as with the several blown fuses. Can this be caused by a faulty voltage regulator or is it an alternator problem ??? :shock:
Steven
'65 Fairlady Racer

"Life is like a box of used Datsun parts, you'll never know what you're gonna get..."

FergO2k

short lived relay

Post by FergO2k »

Steve,
shouldn't be an alt problem, as all power from the alt goes thru the voltage regulator first.
First thing to always check (and overkill), is grounding. Nissan used rubber insulators in engine mounts, such that the sytem wasn't well grounded in some cases. There have been numerous write-ups, and there may be some here, but the basics are:
alt ground terminal to frame
frame to body
starter to frame (this one is overkill, but can't hurt)
others? (anyone jump in here)
Then, if you had a new relay, but there was some corrosion 'downstream', it can cause heat build-up and short life. A repaint can often cause problems, as you have to sand back off to get a good ground.
Fergus O
project_timemachine
Roadster Fanatic

Fergus, thanks for the checklist...will definitely keep this in mind. I can't wait to drive the roadster tomorrow for a "test drive!" :D
Steven
'65 Fairlady Racer

Maggie

Post by Maggie »

Well, I put in the new relay. I have headlights, stop lights, and turn signals but as soon as I turn on the headlights the turn signals stop working. Another thing, the turn signals only work if the motor is actually running. Any Ideas?

Maggie
Brad Lustig
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Brad Lustig »

Sounds to me there's a voltage drop that is keeping the blinkers from working. Probably a bad ground. Headlights pull voltage away from the blinkers...they don't work. Blinkers only getting 12V instead of the 14.4V when running...they don't work. May be as simple as replacing the blinker itself, too
1968 Datsun 2000
1948 Dodge Custom 4door
Maggie

Post by Maggie »

When you say replace the blinker do you mean a relay or the blinker switch at the steering wheel or just the buld.

Maggie
Brad Lustig
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Brad Lustig »

The flasher itself (looks like a relay)
1968 Datsun 2000
1948 Dodge Custom 4door