Tool Review - Stant Radiator Pressure Tester

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Victor_laury

Tool Review - Stant Radiator Pressure Tester

Post by Victor_laury »

I've wanted a radiator tester for quite a while, but I was frozen in indecision. For one thing, There's so many to choose from, over a range of prices. I've seen the Stant tester before but it only fits a few radiators and wasn't sure the roadster/521/zcar was the one it fit. Sure, for another $200 they'll sell you a set of adapters - screw that!

Well, I thought I wanted the Mity-Vac brand tester because it uses an expanding gland to seal to just about any radiator. But I spoke to the pro mechanics here at work, and they said that the rubber gland wears out and splits within a few tests and it junk after that..

So, I didn't buy anything out of indecision freeze.

Yesterday, I was at Autozone and I saw that they had a loaner Stant unit. I asked if I could try it out on my Datsun in the parking lot and they said "Sure". Well, wouldn't ya know it, it seals to the filler neck perfectly.

Stan told me months ago, that he bet that the funky soldering job on my truck leaks. A couple of pumps on the tester and I can see that it does at 5 PSI.

On the roadster, I was able to ID my coolant leak at the back plate of the water pump at 10 PSI. Using the included cap test fitting, I confirmed that my pressure relief was working at a perfect 13 PSI

Overall - I give the Stant unit a thumbs up for a Datsun tool box "Must Have".

Google "Stant (STA12270) Cooling System Pressure Tester" to see it listed on many online shops between $66.99 and $110.00

I paid $78.00 at AutoZone