About my paintjob...

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

eastmedia
Site Supporter

About my paintjob...

Post by eastmedia »

Well after some positive response at Solvang and various other places I thought I'd reveal my paintjob facts.

After reading an email on the Roadster list I investigated the Mopar BBoard where they have been discussing a $50 paintjob.
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/sho ... =0#2331682

After a test on an old trunk lid, I decided that it was probably better than Scheib was gonna do and alot cheaper.

I painted it with Rustoleum (color Almond Gloss happens to be pretty close to stock Datsun yellow) and a foam roller and lots of wetsanding and polishing. My prep work leaves alot to be desired, but my conclusion is that if you take your time and follow the steps you can get a very quality paint job for very little cost. I probably spent about $80 on paint, sandpaper, thinner, rollers, etc..Does it shine?? Yes.

Heck, it looks WAYYY better than the flat black rattle can job I had before. Don't get me wrong, this is by no means a show quality paint job. You've heard of a "10 from 10", well this is like an "9 from 20." If you are restoring a car for the long haul have someone else do it. But if your car is a driver that you want to make look a little nicer this could be the paint for you.
Good Luck,
Ron

Ron
66 1600 Cherry
69 1600 Beast
69 2000 Rough
67.5 1600 Basket Case (in the family)
66 1600 race car (Steve Allen's)
70 1600 survivor (sold 2020)
68 1600 Beauty (sold 2014)
68 1600 My first (sold 1991)
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Looks good to me! The up side that I see is that if you want to do an accurate restoration, the original paint on the Roadsters was a single stage urethane. The paint that you used is not too far off from that. The gloss is not the wet reach into it look, but rather a softer glossy glow. Most cars get overrestored. If you do careful prep work, you can get a nice job that looks OEM.

Now, I wonder why not just spray it. HVLP with a small compressor in the driveway works...
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
steve68

Post by steve68 »

thats what im going to try.. the hvlp gun.

Steve
dumbaxe

Post by dumbaxe »

Damn! that guys charger looked good.
says it self levels and sets like stove paint. I have one of those 50+ year old fireproof government desks in my house with green enamel paint, its super tough and still looks glossy.
I'm definately gonna look into and try this meathod on some throw away body panels from my friends shop!
Conner
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Conner »

I am testing this method on a spare hood as we speak. I have completed two coats and am about to go downstairs and do the third. I will post my results here. Good job Ron!
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600

Post by Linda »

Ron,
I knew you were doing the Rustoleum paint job when I saw the roller pan next to your car in the pic "first coat" on your web site. :)
Good job!

Linda
68 1600
steve68

Post by steve68 »

i started it with the rollers, but didn't get to finish as my girls car was wrecked, She got a newer car anyways thank to me :D

But it seemed to soft, even after a week to harden it never really did.

Steve
eastmedia
Site Supporter

Post by eastmedia »

There have been some issues with hardening that seem to depend on the method used. I can tell you my paint is very hard and waxes very well.

If you don't rush and paint in thin layers, it comes out very nice.
Ron
Ron
66 1600 Cherry
69 1600 Beast
69 2000 Rough
steve68

Post by steve68 »

Well which method did you use to thin it?And which rustoleom did yo uuse?
I actaully got the ace brand as it was the same ingedients as the canadian was using. Im going to try to spray it today.

Steve
itsa68
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600

Post by itsa68 »

Ron:
If your car was the one parked next to the white 69 at Solvang, I recall checking out the paint job.
Looked nice!

Too bad I didnt realize how it was done at the time, because I would have taken more pics to show my buddy. He is considering doing the same thing.

Did the car have a coat of wax on when it was at Solvang or was it 1000+ emery'd out finish only?

Ray B.
Thats not a R16 death rattle....its a dried leaf hitting my heater blower fan.
1968 SPL311 non-smog
eastmedia
Site Supporter

Post by eastmedia »

Well which method did you use to thin it?And which rustoleom did yo uuse?
I used Rustoleum "Stops-Rust, Protective Enamel" and thinned with "Klean-Strip, made with Mineral Spirits". I found both at a local professional paint store. they asked what I was trying to paint, I told them a car. They said "you don't want to paint a car with this." :D
Did the car have a coat of wax on when it was at Solvang or was it 1000+ emery'd out finish only?
Yeah Ray, that was me between the white and red high winshield 1600's. I did it a little different. I noticed a lot of orange peel in places so I wet sanded after the 4th coat with 600, then 1200, then 1500. I also then polished with the Turtle wax polish (white can). Then I got carnuba (cheap autozone) and waxed it. I did the waxing and polishing with an orbital buffer. Most wetsanding by hand. Some with a small electric sander (not a recommended procedure when water is involved, but I used heavy welding gloves!)

I could have wetsanded quite a bit more but I wanted to give the paint about a week to cure before Solvang. The neat thing is I think I can wipe it down with mineral spirits and start adding more coats anytime.

Ray B.- Too bad I missed meeting you at the show. You've been a help to the forum for sure. Maybe next year.

Rpm
Ron
66 1600 Cherry
69 1600 Beast
69 2000 Rough
steve68

Post by steve68 »

Well i sprayed one coat this morning with my hvlp gun, it is faster! came out alittle smoother, ill sand it down later today and shot another coat, ando also im trying gloss black, just to show how it is.

I still might paint with a single tho' after this (because my scamp is gold and i don' think you can get metalliac.)

Steve
dumbaxe

Post by dumbaxe »

there is metalic in cans, i found some when i was buying some smoke grey.
i found aluminum but theres 2 more metalics including gold!.

http://www.rustoleum.com/Product.asp?fr ... L=1&dds=16

im shootin for a nice battleship grey, like ive seen on old porches and jaguars. Might get a nice dark metalic charcoal with the aluminum and gloss black.
dumbaxe

Post by dumbaxe »

DOH!
Ron your car looks great! Sorry for complimenting on the charger first. its just so orange i was hipnotized by it.

Thanks for finding out about and sharing this meathod. very cool!

JOE

:shock:
Brad Lustig
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Brad Lustig »

This the color you're talking about?