Reverse switch not coming on?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

camronware

Reverse switch not coming on?

Post by camronware »

I havn't been able to find anyone else with this scenario, and I need some help.

Reverse switch is not coming on.
New lamp, lamp ground is good. When I unplug the two wire harness leads from the reverse switch, and touch them together, I get nothing. (Bypassed switch)
There should be continuity there right? I don't even get that.

Long story short, electrical shop converted over to single wire alternator, and we did away with the voltage regulator. However, on the wiring diagram, it shows that the voltage regulatr is in line to the reverse switch. Could this cause the reverse switch not to work?
ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by ppeters914 »

Converting from the stock alternator w/ external voltage regulator to the GM alternator w/ internal voltage regulator should have nothing to do with it.

Not sure what you're looking at, but, looking at the nice colored '68 wiring diagram (thanks, Leigh!), the hot lead runs from the fuse block to the reverse switch to the reverse light.

I haven't done this, but, using basic electrical troubleshooting, the following should work....

Pull the wires from the reverse switch, connect them together somehow (aligator clip works great), then remove the bulb and touch your meter leads to the lamp socket studs. Reading should be zero ohms. If not, then wiring problem between switch and lamp.

Again, with the the wires still disconnected from the reverse switch and no key in ignition, put your meter leads on the reverse switch. If the tranny is in reverse, ohms should be zero. Any other gear - infinity. You could also repeat with the ignition on, but check for volts instead of ohms.

Let us know what you find.
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
camronware

Post by camronware »

Well I supposed I should have figure this out by myself, but I have a bad wire from the switch to the reverse light. I just ran a tester wire and it lit up. Easy...thanks man!