u20 fired today!!

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

steve68

u20 fired today!!

Post by steve68 »

K, so the r16 was bad, need some u20 pistons or so, well why not just buy a u20?

Sid had one laying around, it was sitting for some while, had some condesation rust on the cam lobes, everything looked crusty :P . Some PB blaster and some wiping took care of that. I put the u20 in with the tranny in the car (even tho' i was told it was to hard.) It took 20 mins (it would have taken less but my little brother put the jack under the bell housing and the engine was hitting it.) Went back today and finished up the rest (intake, header, starter...oops, yep header and intake and carbs first with the sheild..had to take it back off..to put the starter on...replaced fuel pump and yadda yadda.

Just wanted to make sure i hooked everything up right, turned it over with the coil unplugged to prime it...k hooked it back up and.....nothing no spark!?! well you need the rotor in there, who knew? :oops:

And after that it fired right up...sounds rough, maybe out of time..but hey its a start.
i didn't run it long (as in longer than 3 seconds) as the radiator nor the alternator was not hooked up..yes a 2liter one, thanks sid.

how should i set base timing? its just in the middle now (the pointer in the distributor)

And also i didn't forget the ground starter strap, but i did forget the positive wire...DOH!

Steve
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
steve68

Post by steve68 »

nothing yet...but the wrinkle black with the polished nissan and OHC..
i sanded it down with my orbital with 600 grit...to much work, plus i like wrinkle black.

Steve
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

If you have the factory shop manual, it describes how to set the static timing. Here is a quick and dirty description:

Bring the engine around to a compression stroke for #1
Set the timing mark at 12 degrees before TDC
Loosen the distributor screw
Hold the spark plug wire for #1 about 1/4 inch away from the end of the plug (or any grounded metal...)
Turn the distributor head slowly until the plug sparks
Tighten the distributor screw

I could have missed something as that was from memory, but it should be close to what the book said...
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...