Rough acceleration and loud clank?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

Makes sense, in principle, probably in practice too. Guess it would be a much bigger concern on a v8 truck with a 2.5:1 transfer case and 400 lbs torque. I was going to do the motor mounts next. I have to get the dimensions and start hunting around the aftermarket. Remember though they are sponsored by parts companies, so all info is not unbiased.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
camronware

Post by camronware »

Well, finally figured out what the clank was.
Russell graciously offered his help with it, so I limped the car over there yesterday to see what we could do about it.

Turned out to not be the differential at all. Of the four bolts that hold the driveshaft to the diff, two were about to fall out, and the other two had finger-tight nuts on them.

The left bolt is what we took out, and the right is what should be there. So, any movement of the driveshaft would create that clank noise banging against the differential. It's kinda hard to tell but the threads on the old bolts were just thrashed...

Scary! :shock:

Russ also helped me change out my dashpot oil and taught me some other little things that sure are helpful..great guy. Thanks again man!
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

I was just thinking today I should check those bolts, put them in a year ago and was sort of rushing to get it on the road. 99% sure I loctited them, but you never know.

Dave Brisco

66 2000 The Bobster
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
spyder
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by spyder »

I guess it's all about how you drive. I would replace the nylock nuts on the flanges but the bolts would still loosen. So now I put them together with Locktite 271! Come to think of it I use the stuff a lot in the drivetrain. Oh yeah it makes it hard to take stuff apart but thats the way I like it.
Russell Roach

Post by Russell Roach »

Spyder,

You Cameron and myself need to get together and have a garage day man I'll volunteer my tools and do some cooking. There are a couple of other things that Cameron and I wanted to do with his roadster. You up for it?

Russell
spyder

Post by spyder »

Spyder to Russell Roach:

Sounds like good times. My only issue at this point is the car is in transition from being banged up in a hail storm. 28 nice sized dents. It still fared better than most of the other cars in the lot but most of them had comp insurance. I have armstrong insurance and it is so durn hot I have been slacking, half green half white. So I guess the question is when and which car. I could take the ,,, gasp! honda,, but it is in league with the roadsters.
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

Spyder, time for Haggerty Insurance?? I just got my renewal today, $113.00, can't beat it, unless you drive it to work.

Dave Brisco

66 2000 The Bobster
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
spyder

Post by spyder »

It was my daily driver until I removed the dings and paint. I suspect most of those speciality policys won't cover my useage.