Noob w/ question....cross country drive a bad or good idea?

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

bryman10

Noob w/ question....cross country drive a bad or good idea?

Post by bryman10 »

Hey all,
bryman here, and yes I'm a datsun roadster noob. I've pretty much been a Honda/Toyota guy my whole life ::ducks, swing:: but have recently become quite enamored w/ these little datsun roadsters.
OK, here's my question (WARNING! This *might* sound a little nuts):
1) Should I drive (or more specifically, have someone else drive) a roadster from CA to me in NC?
2) Has anyone driven one cross country?
3) Are they typically reliable enough cars to go for long stretches like this w/o stranding the driver on the side of the road?

OK, so maybe it's question(s) :lol:

Here's the deal folks....I've got a line on a '69 1600 from a guy in northern california. I'm (reluctantly) selling my '85 Honda CRX supercar (B16 VTEC, T3/T40E turbo, etc, etc) to a southern california guy--we'll call him SCG from now on--(about an 8 hour drive from the northern cali guy).

Here's where it gets a little sticky....

I've pretty much got the deal almost finalized, and this is the sequence of events (if the planets align and the gods smile on me):
1) southern cali guy is taking a flight or greyhound (which I'll gladly pay for) to northern cali guy's house to buy said roadster;
2) SCG will then drive the roadster (which is in excellent mechanical condition according the the owner (NCG) over the river and through the woods about 2900 miles to me in North Carolina;
3) SCG will then buy my CRX (sans roadster $$$'s) and drive it back to his home in SoCal.

Am I nuts?

bryman<-----reaching for medication....
JoeK
Roadster Fanatic

Post by JoeK »

I don't think you're nuts. I think Southern California guy is nuts.

That said, my impression is that a good running roadster should have no issues making that trip. People do it all the time. By all the time, I think I hear about a trip like that in a roadster about 2-3 times a year. Also, I think in general terms, the 1600's are considered a little more reliable than the 2000's.

Does SCG have any mechanical abilities? If he does have issues, will he truly be stranded, or would he be able to figure out something like a clogged fuel filter? Most likely, if any problems arise, it'll be a simple troubleshoot and fix, though some parts for these cars aren't at your local parts house.

Check out this thread to get an idea of roadster reliability: http://www.311s.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.ph ... t=stranded
Joe
Former owner of:
'68 2L
BLK SRL
sold 12-11-2012
bryman10

Post by bryman10 »

JoeK wrote: I don't think you're nuts. I think Southern California guy is nuts.
Haha, yes quite possibly true. He's a younger guy (turning 21 next month) and apparantly has the energy for this trip (unlike me....been there done that). Plus, he seems like a pretty nice guy to boot and is looking at this as a fun challenge (vs. a bleak quest) :lol:
JoeK wrote:Does SCG have any mechanical abilities? If he does have issues, will he truly be stranded, or would he be able to figure out something like a clogged fuel filter? Most likely, if any problems arise, it'll be a simple troubleshoot and fix, though some parts for these cars aren't at your local parts house.
Yeah, he's rebuilding another Honda on his own, so I know he's got *some* level of mechanical aptitude (he seems to be a fairly bright guy as well).
Clogged fuel filter....no problem
Needs headgasket....uh oh (not gonna find that at autozone) :(

bryman
Conner
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Conner »

Sounds like a good deal to me. You don't have any exposure because you found someone to front the money for the roadster and don't even have to give up your car until the roadster is delivered to you. You must have done some pretty fast talking to work that one out.
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Last edited by DELETED on Tue May 02, 2006 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bryman10

Post by bryman10 »

Conner wrote:Sounds like a good deal to me. You don't have any exposure because you found someone to front the money for the roadster and don't even have to give up your car until the roadster is delivered to you. You must have done some pretty fast talking to work that one out.
8) Yeah, I'm not really sure how I pulled that off. I pretty much just made the ("out-there") suggestion, and he thought it sounded fun! :D

bryman
bryman10

Post by bryman10 »

Stickerman wrote:How long has the owner of the Roadster owned it? What is his version of good mechanical condition?

My feeling on Roadster trips always has been stuff goes wrong in the first 5 miles. If yu make it the first 5 miles it is usually clear sailing. That being said, the 5 mile rule starts over when you stop for gas, food etc.
1) I think he's had it for about 5 years (I'd have to confirm this w/ him)
2) Here's his quote from his for sale listing:
"datsun roadster for sale 1600cc... It is quite rare with production #'s of the 1600 in this year at 4,500 THATS IT 1 of 4500 for the year and it is the last year made..

Runs good, drives good, 2 tops,soft top is in great condition..also has hardtop in good condition... body is in excellent shape,/paint is fair interior is all there but needs redone... has many x-tras..all electrical has been professionally redone..have documents since early 90's....ALL CHROME IS EXCELLENT car is 100% there...CAR HAS NO BONDO OR NO FRAME DAmAGE you can magnet test it ...i will jack it up so you can see the undercarriage etc..car drives straight as an arrow and will go 100MPH with ease on the freeway .. NEVER overheats at all... DRIVE/SEE TO APPRECIATE.. with new paint
(paint is presentable and shiny now though) and interior this would be a great show/driver..

PM ME OE E-MAIL ME FOR MORE INFO SERIOUS BUYERS ONLY!!! NO DREAMERS.. IT will DRIVE TO ANYWHERE"

Sounds decent to me :?:

bryman
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

Id say make sure all the gage instruments are functioning properly to make sure whats going on in the engine bay. Make sure to pack a spare tire! Tell your bud each time he stops to get gas to give everything a once over (oil,water). I would suggest him chaning the oil before doing the long trip, after all he is driving the car cross country. :lol: .
wineguy
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by wineguy »

I would pay a company to ship the car, about 1100-1300 dollars and you dont have to worry about it.
Chuck Barnes
67.5 2000 SRL-218- Sold
67.5 1600 SPL
67.5 2000 SRL-525
69 2000 SRL-12664
bryman10

Post by bryman10 »

wineguy wrote:I would pay a company to ship the car, about 1100-1300 dollars and you dont have to worry about it.
Although this would be the most sensible and safe route, unfortunately I don't have the funds for this.
It's sad to say, but if SCG isn't able to bring it to me, I probably won't be able to acquire the roadster :(

bryman<----keeping fingers crossed
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

So what if roadster hits a giant armidillo or otherwise goes up in flames somewhere near West Bumblef*&#, Oklahoma. What's your liability or is the other guy just plain out of luck? Does he plan on registering and insuring the car in his name or yours or not at all? If it's in your name, i'd be wary. And, what is your obligation when he shows up at your house and the car isn't all it's whooped up to be?

All that being said, it's just crazy enough that it might work. If he want's to come by my house instead I'll give him a nice 93 Ramcharger and a full tank of gas for the Roadster.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
ppeters914
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by ppeters914 »

It is quite rare with production #'s of the 1600 in this year at 4,500 THATS IT 1 of 4500 for the year and it is the last year made..
It would worry me a little that he has no idea 69 was not the last year, or how many were made, seems to be making up numbers.....
Ha! Mark. Ya beat me to posting that.

Bryman: Senor Brisco poses some good, solid questions. You should also consider requesting a knowledgeable roadster owner near the seller check out the car for you before you make any commitments.

Just my two centavos....
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

I'm 100% with Pete on having someone check it out, walk around with a digital camera, look at the title ETC.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
bryman10

Post by bryman10 »

Yes, probably good advice there.
FWIW, here's a few pics. of said roadster:
http://www.redpepperracing.com/gallery/ ... dsterpics/

BTW, What do you guys think it's worth (based on pics. and description alone)?

thanks.

bryman