racing gas

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

keith0alan
Roadsteraholic

racing gas

Post by keith0alan »

Hello all,

On the road heading to Road Atlanta. Currently in Ohio and saw something interesting. Stopped at a Sunoco station and they had racing gas at the pumps. 100 octane unleaded and 110 octane leaded. It was $5.80 a gallon so I wasn't tempted to fill up the Tahoe's 30 gallon tank with it.

keith
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

Post by Import_sounds-of-mid-GA »

Yeah, thats what my dads camaro requires.... well, actually 116+ but you know....
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

About once a month I make a run out to Sears Point to fill up with 100 octaine. It was pushing $6 a gallon, so I only did a half tank. The car is much happier now. Its cool that you can find good stuff at a local pump.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
Russell Roach

Post by Russell Roach »

Kieth,

Thats actually pretty decent for race fuel. I have paid as high as 7.75 a gal. the really nice thing about race fuel is that it doesn't break down like regular gas.

Russell
Last edited by Russell Roach on Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russell Roach

Post by Russell Roach »

Hey Will,

Yep exspensive... Let's see at Texas World Speedway we run the 2.9 mile course 10 laps so by the time you do a parade/ formation lap and cool down lap you have gone twelve laps or about 36 miles I have an 8 gallon tank to top it back off it takes 5 gals so I get about 7 miles per gallon or roughly about using a median cost of 6 dollars a gal about thirty bucks a race (9 races) a weekend... :shock: NO WONDER I DON'T KEEP A RUNNING TOTAL

Russell
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

Post by Import_sounds-of-mid-GA »

Russell Roach wrote: the really nice thing about race fuel is that it doesn't break down like regular gas.
WOAH!! The last time we went to the drag strip to get race fuel they said they didnt have any 116 open already.... so weasked why they didnt just open another barrel. They said since the race is almost over its a waste to open a new barrel....b/c it evaporates and loses octane faster and easier than regular gas so we had to get 110.

:?: :?: :?:
Russell Roach

Post by Russell Roach »

Evan,

First let clarify most modern pump gas has additives not only to make it burn cleaner but also to make it break down faster to be less toxic to the enviorment. I agree any that any fuel over an extended length of time may lose some octane.

I will give you a personal example put the remainder of my 104 unleaded in my fuel cell at the end of the last race on Dec 4 2005 the next race I went to was in feb 2006 I noticed no loss in performance, had that been pump gas it would have been well on it's way to going bad.

Now as far as that vendor goes it sounds like he was more concerned with getting off his ass and opening a 55 gal drum so he gave you an answer that I would have argued with. Sorry I don't believe it and would take exception with his explanation.

Russell
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

I only had half a tank to fill. I also had to pay the IRS, wasn't happy about that. My attempt at getting over it was to go fill up with race gas so I could romp around and burn it all off without my engine pinging.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
Russell Roach

Post by Russell Roach »

Will,

I like your style, When life hands you lemons ...go burn some race fuel.

Russell
Tycorcr1

Post by Tycorcr1 »

Keith,
Rebel fuel sells 100 octane race gas at 8 of there stations here in Las Vegas, it's Rocket Brands fuel. Last time i priced it ,it was in the high $5 range, don't remember exact price. As to shelf life, in a closed container (tight seal) race gas does not break down. As soon as it's seal is broken, it starts to lose its "lights" or light chemicals (the stuff that makes it race gas). I don't remember the actual chemical it looses, but my old engine builder would buy 116 for the dyno cell and he would charge for the whole drum no matter how much we used because once opened, it started to break down.
Dicksonauto
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Dicksonauto »

I am running VP red 105 octane and buy it in 5 gallon cans for 32-35 dollars per can. It is at almost every motorcycle shop and easy to store. I keep 2 or 3 cans in the garage and dont open them until I fill the tank for a drive. I cant find a shop willing to order 15 gallon drums even if I pay up front. Their lazy excuse, we dont carry that. Anyway, I have a 2000 with solexes and it loves it. My smile is almost as big as my grill.
Erik

Some people drive to go from point A to point B, I go from Point A to point B so I can drive.

1966 SPL Lucky
1966 Patrol Bones
1967 Patrol Link
1967.5 SPL Mugwomp
Half Fast Racing
Roadster Nut

Post by Half Fast Racing »

I run 106 or 110 race gas in the shifter karts,
was paying $5.25 per gall0on last summer,
hate to see the price this summer ?

whatever is left at the end of the season,
gets dumped into the SR20DET roadster,
makes the roadster quite happy......!!!
John Atchison
http://www.onewest.net/~jda/halffastracing.html
69 2000, 67.5 SPL/SR20DET
various roadster parts cars
MR2s and shifter karts !
RC240z
Roadsteraholic

Post by RC240z »

I dont think that race fuel will be affected by the current price hikes that we are seeing at the pump as it is a different market...We pay $5.80 to $6.00 a gallon for 108 octane out here. We bought our own 55 gallon drum between 3 of us and it lasted two race weekends....not too bad...

We have seen some differences between a few fuel providers as far as quality of fuel and octane level.
67.5 2000, SRL 311 000305 Solex
A race car since new!
Instagram #RC240Z #geoskyalert

check out my blog at www.rcnetworksracing.com
steve68

Post by steve68 »

i get sunoco 100 unleaded, 110 and 116 leaded....$4, $5 and $6...we drag race so i just get it then, i was running a mix of 100 and 116 and the r16 was still detonating at idle :( . There 100 about 10mins away..its usually sold out so what does that tell you?

Steve