So did I do OK? Be honest...

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

2LitersWideOpen

So did I do OK? Be honest...

Post by 2LitersWideOpen »

Went and saw that 1970 1600 listed on craigslist. It looked fine, has ZERO rust... Not even corrosion. The fenderwells were sparkling clean, just normal road dust.. Drove my first 1600 and I say they are snappy little guys aren't they.. Seats are perfect, new carpet nicely done, new cloth top and the interior is about a 8 out of 10 with the dash having a crack or two.

Oil pressure read about 1/2 while driving. Shifter felt good, went into all gears well. Clutch did not slip or jerk or grab. Exhaust smelled nice and clean.

A light tap in the left rear, looked underneath and it was nicely repaired. nothing major, extremely minor.

Has all original wheels with the nice grey color to them. Original owners manual as well. No rust or rot in the trunk.

I was pleasantly surprised by the zip in this car. Makes me drool to think what a 2000 would do..

So..., I paid 5800 for it..

It was built in April of 1970. Might be the newest known out there..

Your opinions please? Still going to get a 2000 just wanna be sure I did OK with this one.

The original paint was that puke mountain dew green ( yellow??)
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

Post by Import_sounds-of-mid-GA »

sounds sweet... got any pics??
datsun65
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by datsun65 »

Is this the car?

If so, I think you did okay...

The 70 1600 is a cool car, but probably the least collectible of the roadster models. But, all roadsters are pretty rare & all are very cool. Does the car still have its air injection system/smog pump?

Having a good top and interior is always a nice.....

The roadster never came stock in a 'puke mountain dew green'. There was a pale yellow color though.No, green color though.

Let's see some pictures....

Dan
Last edited by datsun65 on Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dan
Houston, TX
itsa68
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by itsa68 »

Good so far !!!!!!!!
Some paint jobs cost as much as what you paid for the whole car.
I'll think you're in for another surprise when you also get to drive a SRL.

Ray B.
Thats not a R16 death rattle....its a dried leaf hitting my heater blower fan.
1968 SPL311 non-smog
Victor_laury

Post by Victor_laury »

Sounds like you've done good to me.

Hell yes a 1600 scoots. It was built for a tight twisty road. In that environment the biggest difference between a SR and an SP is the skill, confidence and hell-bent craziness of the driver. Sure, on the straight. a good running SR will eat up an healthy SP. But on the curves.. Well, Nissan geared the SP to snap out of the curve to dive into the next.

Go through the brake system and drive train like your life depended on it, and put her through her paces. That's her true purpose. Looking pretty is secondary to that.
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Honestly, I like it......cause it looks just like my car! (hub caps in trunk)
http://community.webshots.com/photo/547 ... 2546rPOKCX

Linda
68 1600 :)
69ner
Roadster Fanatic

Post by 69ner »

hey dan how come the 70 1600 is the least collectible of the bunch?
datsun65
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000

Post by datsun65 »

Why?

Mostly from both the value guides (not much help here) and my own observations from watching the prices of roadsters over the past 15 years. Please don't take my observations as fact...just my opinion (BTW: I've previously owned two 70 1600s in the past)

In the guides, the 2000s almost always commands higher prices than the 1600s.

The 1970 model also had the culmination of many changes which were made to the 68 and up models...

1) Smog Gear / Air Injection System
2) Alternator Relocation to the exhaust side of the engine
3) Funky return mini gas tank reseviour
4) Rectangular Marker lights (like the 510 & z cars)
5) Large reflectors in the rear, vs the smaller relectors which were stacked vertically
6) Big front turn signal lights vs smaller light with chrome bezal used on 63-69

and more...

Now as I said...all roadsters are cool..I like them all. But, from the $$ perspective (again, my own personnal observation), it just doesn't seem like the 70 1600 command as high as a premium as many of the other models out there...
Dan
Houston, TX
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
keith0alan
Roadsteraholic

Post by keith0alan »

I had a little friendly run through mountian twisties with a 2L Solex car. I was in my bone stock 1600. I did just fine, thank you very much. He was leading so I could tell from what he was doing what the road ahead was like. I dove into the corners harder and braked later and kept up fine. I expect that if I had been leading he would have been all over me and would have passed. Went on a run with the local Z club. In tight stuff the 1600 kept up fine. Out in the open it was all over of course. Just can't keep up with those long legs of the Z.
DELETED

I don't get it

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by ppeters914 »

Yeah, me neither, Mark, especially the "Then I do my taxes..." comment. If the car's that nice, it should have you grinning every time you take 'er for a spin. Heck, mine's under a tarp waiting for brakes, and I still smile. 8)

Just curious, Peter, that's all.
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

It doesnt seem you were really interested in buying a roadster, if you just bought one and put it up for sale again.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
impinhigh
Certified Roadster Nut

Post by impinhigh »

I'll second that!!
Matt Jacquet
Gilroy, Ca
68 Spl311 Stock-Silver
68 Spl311 Stock-White-Gone to a good home...
:(