Ok, so I am 6 ft tall....

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

2LitersWideOpen

Ok, so I am 6 ft tall....

Post by 2LitersWideOpen »

Sat inside a 66 roadster today and felt really closed it. Funny thing is that it took me a while ( hours, I know... I'm blond.. :roll: :lol: ) to figure out why.. I have driven and owned roadsters before and never felt that way.. A ha! :!: The 66 has the shorter windshield.. Me thinks this would not be a good thing. And actually I can see why the safety regulations would require the taller windshield. japanese people are smaller for sure... so it doesn't come as a surprise that the windshield is shorter as well.

Any body tall here own a shorty windshield model? I also happen to be very aware that every 6 ft tallperson is proportioned differently. I for one, have short legs... 32 inseam so about 60% of my height is in my upper torso. Good for cars with not much leg room but terrible if the seats dont tilt somewhat or go back far enough ( which the roadster does do so that compensates for the lack of tilt in the seat) for my arms and longer torso.

I think I am therefore destined for the tall windshield models.. * boo hoo* :? :cry:
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
mikew
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mikew »

Alvin, what's that thing on your rollbar? (in the first image) Is it a gun turret, or do you tow skiers down the freeway?!

p.s. I'm 6' tall with a lowscreen car. It works for me because the seat base is very thin - I'm almost sitting on the floor. I also have the seat all the way back, and have added a few washers under the front seat mounts which gives a bit more angle on the back of the seat. Plus I've fitted a smaller steering wheel to provide a bit more clearance for my legs. The end result is it's very comfortable - I drive it daily. Most other low screen cars I find I'm sitting too high.
1965 SP311, H20, 44mm Solexes, 260Z 5-speed
2LitersWideOpen

Post by 2LitersWideOpen »

Most of my height is in my torso, so my legs are short. I will have to do more research on this..
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

I'm 6-1 and fit in a low windshield car fine. If I stretch I can look over it. My friend is 6-4 and fits in his low windshield cars as well. I would advise not to use Miata seats as they raise you up quite a bit. (Mine give me a blind spot behind the rear view mirror big enough to hide a full size truck.) I look through the top 6 inches of my tall windshield.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Victor_laury

Post by Victor_laury »

Although I have a high windsheild car, I think that if I had an early car, with the seat set up like in mine, I'd be fine.

I'm 6'1'', long torso. short legs (inseam 32). My seat straps are just where I like them, mm's off the floor. My shoulder is bearly over the door sill. I don't think the body demensions changed there at all.

I've sat in other cars with replacement seats from CRX's, and Miata's and didn't like it. I felt as though I was sitting on the car, rather than in it. This was also true in roadster's with reupolstered seats that they added a little extra padding and tightened up the straps (Like Howard's and Tom's cars)

I drove a 67 1600 about 8 years ago, and felt at home, as it's seats were also low, and seemed to have a bit more of a recline set to them.
TR

Post by TR »

6-1, normal legs, I never put a top on and I tend to slouch down in the seat and I moved the mounts back so the seat touches the package shelf...
itsa68
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by itsa68 »

I think the average person was a lot shorter when these cars were built or the cars have somehow shrunk since then. :)

Ray B.
Thats not a R16 death rattle....its a dried leaf hitting my heater blower fan.
1968 SPL311 non-smog
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
FergO2k
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

over 6' in a roadster

Post by FergO2k »

I agree with Victor. Mine was the car with the CRX seats, and you were "on top", felt like you were riding a one-hump camel. And, had exactly the blind spot problem described by Will.
I am 6'3", with 32" inseam, and low windshield cars are a great ride with the best dash, but I couldn't own one. Well, okay, I would put a 13" steering wheel and recline the seats and smile,smile,smile! in my 69, I commonly look thru the top 2" of the windshield, but I like to sit up real straight. (keep back problems at bay)
Eric H (302 V8 roadster, unnfair.com) used Miata seats and bolted them hard to the floor, removed a "lump" from the bottom. I may re-try this with the CRX seats, as they are sitting in the garage anyway.
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Fergus,
Are the CRX seats lower, but similar to the Miata seats? I can't decide whether to get new seats or get mine redone.
I'm 5'8 so no problem with seeing out the windsheild. :)

Linda
68 1600
Cochecita
Roadster Nut

over 6'

Post by Cochecita »

My friend is 6'4 and just laughs whenever he drives my car, he has to look over the windshield to see stoplights, but can drive it normally. I do see him scrunch down more when we're at freeway speeds.

If you wanted to go custom, you could fit a flat dash in a tall windshield. I think if I was going to build a motor swapped, high revving, cruiser, that's what I would do.

I found this picture linked from one of the other forums:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/930 ... 1295xzNOJC

It's Craig Hoopers 68' beautiful beast.
JoeK
Roadster Fanatic

Post by JoeK »

Craig Hoopers beast is the supercharged one right? I have seen that car in person. I was so awed by the engine, I never even thought to look at the interior.
Joe
Former owner of:
'68 2L
BLK SRL
sold 12-11-2012