Interchangeability of Timing Covers for R1600 motors

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Q-Roadster

Interchangeability of Timing Covers for R1600 motors

Post by Q-Roadster »

Quick tech question as I begin putting my motor back together, heres the first of I'm sure many more questions as I get this back together :D

Is there anything specific that would prevent me from using an R1600 timing cover from a different year car on my rebuild? Bought a nice shiny one off of ebay and discovered my original timing cover bolts are coming up short on the replacement, theres also a slight 45 degree bend at the top of my old cover that isnt present on the replacement. Can I go to the local autoparts shop and get the correct size bolts or am I looking at more trouble down the road without the 'correct' timing cover on my motor. The two covers look almost identical aside from the bolt lengths in their housings, and the slight bend (which I hope wont pose a problem with anything else I have to attach later).

1967.5 3 main bearing motor.

Thanks!
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

1967.5 3 main bearing motor.
67.5 are 5 main.

I think they are all alike from what i can see but who knows(sid)! I think it should work, test fit to see.
itsa68
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by itsa68 »

I took a look at the two types side by side and couldnt see any problems.
http://www.311s.org/phpBB2/album_pic.php?pic_id=205
Check to see if your metal fuel line clears the rounded edges of the metric one when trial fitted in place.
Maybe the hole sizes in the front edge of the oil pan are also different?

I did notice that the imperial (SAE) type would not be able to fit a metric block because there doesnt seem to be enough material to open the holes.

Ray B.
Thats not a R16 death rattle....its a dried leaf hitting my heater blower fan.
1968 SPL311 non-smog
Chris Coker
Roadster Nut

Post by Chris Coker »

I used a metric cover on an SAE block on a race motor with no problems. Replacing the oil seal is probably prudent, though.

Chris Coker
Washington, MI
'69 1600
Chris Coker
1969 SPL311-24529