WHat sise sidedrafts would be good for my KA24E swap?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

dumbaxe

WHat sise sidedrafts would be good for my KA24E swap?

Post by dumbaxe »

First ill say Hi to everyone because im new here.
I got my 66 1600 in compton, CA last july for pretty cheap. ( the same price i sold my gross 83 z28 for)

Im getting a KA swap, and already have the manifold on its way. I was just wondering what would be a decent size carb set to run on it if tis pretty stock.
Maybe ill get a header to match the new carb setup, if it will clear the death spear.
DCOE 40s are really easy to find used or rebuilt for cheap, but the 44s or 45s are more expensive. I dotn want to get something thats going to overdo it, but if the larger ones will work out and give me room for engine upgrades later it might be worth the extra money in the long run.

any advice?
thanks
datsunrides
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by datsunrides »

First off, I'm no expert on the subject but here is a suggestion (based on some prior use of these carbs) If you plan on keeping the engine stock or close to it, I would go with the 40's. You will have to choke them down a bit (35-37 mm?) to make them streetable. You can also choke down 44-45-50mm's but if you are not planning to go hog wild with modifications or race the thing, 40's should be all you need for the street. Not to divert you from your chosen path, but why not use the stock fuel injection (assuming multi-port)? it could potentially me much less of a headache than trying to get those carbs dialed in. There are SOOOO many adjustments that you can make to sidedrafts that it is real easy to screw the jetting up if you don't understand the principles of them. In the end, it's your choice and do as you please.

Mark
1966 Roadster
Turbo / EFI U20 (T25 w/ SDS EMU.)
TR

Post by TR »

Check 510 sites or the Dime Quarterly. There are a few 510 guys running KA's with carbs...
datsun65
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by datsun65 »

You may wish to contact Dan @ DGR fabrication in Santa Clara. Dan runs a very hot KA24e in his 510 with a carb'd system.

www.dgrfabrication.com
Dan
Houston, TX
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

When Nissan Motorsports had such fun things, they had 44s with the manifold. Since the U20 has 44s, I am sure that you would be happier in the long run with the larger 44s rather than the 40s. There are some calculators on line that can help with the decision. Dave Andrews has one on his website. Here is the link:

http://members.aol.com/DVAndrews/

It speaks to webers and dellortos, but the sizing would be the same. The jetting program may get you in the ball park too if you can cross reference the sizes.
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
Ldino21
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Ldino21 »

I am probably late to the dance here, but why are you wanting carbs instead of the stock EFI setup??

Secondly how much are you looking to get a carb setup for the engine, is there a manifold available for it.

Wouldn't you be better off and less expensive to just keep the EFI and upgrade the ECU??

Just my 2 cents

Lou Smaldino
66-1600
67-2000
64-1500
dumbaxe

Post by dumbaxe »

thanks for the calculator page, spl310.
it shows how the 40s might work out but the max venturi size looks like the lowest size that should be used in that size motor. The bigger ones would probbably be more worth it like you said. Good idea to account for future mods if i get the itch.
It looks like alot of dealers (even ebay ones) will jet the carbs for what you are using them for whne you buy new ones. might save alot of tuning headache that way. Im still going to ask around though, i have plenty of time before i need the carbs.

As far as the less expensive EFI route, Id rather have carbs in an old car if i can, thats why i picked the KA24E. I like the idea of a newer engine that can run carbs. Maybe i just miss my Z28 with all the noise and smell of a carbed engine. So its really just a taste issue. Im lucky enough to have a friend who is a mechanic and has his own shop, so he does the work in his free time and doesnt charge me mutch at all for labor. Ive been doing all the parts hunting and research on the car. It will be nice to have something simple that i can understand under the hood. Being fast doesnt hurt either.
dumbaxe

Post by dumbaxe »

oh i forgot, there is a manifold.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/nms/s13/s13_2.html
its $450 but i got one on ebay for 300 brand new.

they list the jetting info for the mikuni 44 phh carbs there too.
Main 160 / Air 180 / Pilot 55 / Choke 37mm. RACE APPLICATION ONLY!

the 40s will only take a 36mm choke max, but they arent for racing.
that calculator i looked at said about 37mm would be propper though.

so its either buy a set of 40s for like $200-300, might have to spend some more $ on propper jets n stuff.

or new mikunis from robello for like $350 each/ $700 but theyll be properly jeted already and good for more power later.

ive seen soem ebay dealers that sell webbers new for the same price also. some OER carbs that use the same jets as webbers for even cheaper $300 (new japanese copys)

then theres the gaskets and linkages for the manifold. another $250

so u can see its adding up, but with the cheap engine and buddy labor its still going be ok for me. around $1300 for the carb setup, seems about right. I dunno lots of people would rather put themoney into a turbo or something, but id rather not have any computers on a 40 year old car.
Im around them all day :?
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
dumbaxe

Post by dumbaxe »

YOWZAH!!
I found that sight a few days ago, i really should talk to that guy.
those engines even LOOK fast. I bet they sound nice too.
Loud enough to shut up my neighbors barky dogs.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
dumbaxe

Post by dumbaxe »

YEAH! thats the pic that got me really interested in the KA.
Really clean setup. I gotta ask him about his distributor concersion from electric to mechanical advance. I did find another post on that somewhere and saved it.

Oh and guesse what, the guy who sold met he manifold has carbs to go with it, hes gonna email me some pics. might save a few bucks and get the right thing for it too.
dumbaxe

Post by dumbaxe »

so i ran that jetting program! since im not racing that engine, id prolly go with the flexibility setup option it gave.
It said that i could use 40-45 dcoe(ordelortoDHLA) with 35mm chokes.
thats cool since i could get the 40s for cheaper, with the proper jetting i want.
the new mikuni 44s come with 34mm chokes and different jettings. so i could get more out of a set of 40s properly choked and jetted for cheaper for now.

maybe ill go with that, and when i know more about the engien and want to messs with it i can get bigger carbs, along with the mods to make them worth getting.
I can always sell the 40s if i outgrow them. Maybe when my neighbor rebuilds his 78 ford fiesta with 350k miles on it!!!
mikew
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mikew »

I believe the largest choke that works properly in a DCOE 40 is 34mm. You can get 36mm chokes but if you need this size, you should be looking at 45's.

I'd go with the Mikuni 44's with a 37mm choke.

Mike
1965 SP311, H20, 44mm Solexes, 260Z 5-speed