frustration sets in.. 20yr dormant roadster back on the road

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Mack

frustration sets in.. 20yr dormant roadster back on the road

Post by Mack »

I acquired a 1968 roadster from my friend, Alfred183, and Ive been trying to get it back on the road for the last week. fuel lines were clogged, had to take them off and clean them with a coat hanger, brakes were shot, so I had to do the volvo thing. master cylinder was shot as well, 280Z unit cured that, as well as a clutch master cylinder. re-packed wheel bearings, got the front end bolted together. got all the hoses ran in the right places, start filling with water and what do I see? a trickle coming out of the water pump. pump is toasted. I have to wait 3 days for a new one.

which place has better remanufactured pumps? Napa? checker? autozone? all 3 places list them for between $30 and $35 and can get them within 3 days.

luckily there was still liquid gas in the carbs and the tank, so those are o.k. not all gummed up. just the low spots in the lines.

car starts and runs with starting fluid. sounds decent, may need rockers adjusted. wont run on straight gas because the choke cables are frozen, lol! just gotta warm it up I guess.

what else should I look out for?
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

Post by Import_sounds-of-mid-GA »

Might want to clean the tank out.... i thought mine was clean too b/c it was full when it sat and the gas seemed thin..... to my surprise it was horrible!
1. Spark plugs, wires, and points.
2. clean fuel filter
3. fuel pump diaphram(sp?) might go bad... they get brittle
4. hold the choke levers while somebody cranks it.... just make sure they go all the way down when released
5. check the fan/alt belt/s
6. drain the oil and change the filter... might want to run thicker oil of the chain sounds a little loose

thats all i can think of... but I know Sid will chime in!
Mack

Post by Mack »

oh yeah, Ive already done all the tune up stuff. changed engine/diff/trans oil, new fuel filter, new air filter, all that crap. fresh plugs, yadda yadda yadda..... the gas that was in the tank was very little. it was just enough to show up on a stick when I put it down the filler neck. I also scraped around in there with the stick to see if there was any varnish on the bottom of the tank. to my surprise, there wasnt!!! So, I dumped in a few gallons of fresh premium and went on my way.

I cranked the engine over by hand to make sure nothing was seized. the fuel pump pumped gas though the lines and filled the filter and the gas made it to the return line as well, so all is good there.

Im just concerned about the rear brakes. I think they may be shot. tried bleeding them, nothing came out except for old fluid and the resivoir didnt go down any. Ill just let the brake fluid sit in the lines over night while I asses the water pump situation. it should eat through the old crap in a matter of hours.
sgriffin
Roadster Fanatic

on the road

Post by sgriffin »

It sounds as if you've thought it through and know the basics. The real fun occurs after you've consistantly started her and find the items that need attention as a result of the 20 year sleep. Good luck and regards. Sam
Sam E. Griffin