Datsun Fairlady "S"

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

67 1/2 1600

Datsun Fairlady "S"

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

Now this is intersting!

"In the GP-II Class, competing against the likes of the newly unveiled Toyota 2000 GT and the Cobra Daytona Coupe, Nissan revealed an exciting variation on the Fairlady theme. The Datsun Fairlady 'S' boasted a twin overhead cam, 6 cylinder, 12 spark plug, twin distributor, 2-litre engine, a whole year ahead of the launch of the single overhead 4-cylinder 2000. The takeover of Prince, with all the OHC expertise that PMC brought with them, undoubtedly influenced the development of this 'UY' engined prototype, not to mention the production Nissan/Datsun OHC engines that followed. "

I wonder who currently owns this beast, and what condition its in!
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Nissan scrapped it. There are rumors that a member of the Japanese roadster club has a UY engine though. Perhaps he will build a replica of that car!
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
seiyess

Post by seiyess »

wow!
that's nice.. that's the offset that i want for mine...
Victor_laury

Post by Victor_laury »

do you see how much higher the rear arch is in the photo? they can run a deep offset with sheet metal like that.
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

That's the rear fender shape/height I want, Spitfire/TR6 proportions. I was thinking of grafting on 2 front fender openings to the rear, but I'll wait til something breaks or rusts out. Once the weather breaks, I'm going to drive it...ALOT.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
spyder
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by spyder »

Those rear quarters look alot like mine. I wercked the car in 2001 so a paint job was upcoming. While stripping all paint and doodads I found much rust in the rear. When I went through the body in 1990 it was clean so a lot of damage can happen fast. I cut off the quarters just below the trim line/seam and used 18 gauge sheet steel to replace them. I decided instead of copying the old quarters I would arc out the wells in order to clear the 225 50 15 tires. I like the way it turned out. Not stock but not obnoxious!
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

At least to me, the low fender line in the rear always made the Roadster look too low in the rear, lke sagging springs. With the radius of the front and rear fenders matching it seems to make the rear visually higher and give a more agressive stance, but that's just personal taste. Big tires are nice too.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

Post by Import_sounds-of-mid-GA »

so it seems like Dave can understand why i lowered my car in the front...?
DatsunBucky
Roadsteraholic

Post by DatsunBucky »

dbrick wrote:With the radius of the front and rear fenders matching it seems to make the rear visually higher and give a more agressive stance, but that's just personal taste. Big tires are nice too.
You'll also notice that the rocker panel is no longer parallel to the ground, so it looks to me like the rear is actually higher than the front.

I, too, like the look with the rear wheel opening matching the front.
Bucky
clunker
Roadster Nut

Post by clunker »

Question is can you do it while leaving the chrome trim on. If so do you stop it a the new wheel opening (like a mirror of the front) or just have a gap then continue on to the back?
Steve Moore
1966 1600 (swapping a U20 in)
---------------------------------------------------
Nope, its supposed to make that noise.