A short history of my Datsun Roadster (Long)

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

A short history of my Datsun Roadster (Long)

Post by Linda »

So, the calvary, in the form of Victor Laury, showed up to work on my Datsun today. The first time anyone elso, other than ex boyfriend, has looked at it except one time long ago when a mechanic named Ed balanced the carbs which didn't really help.
First the history. About 10 months ago the gas tank was cleaned thru Gas Tank Renu and reinstalled, 5 gal gas put in, and then a new fuel filter, EI dizzy and coil were installed it started and ran better than with old dizzy with probable sticking advance plate, point problems etc. big improvement.. Carbs were then balanced and idle set. Seemed to still stutter though and run rough sometimes. Nevertheless it ran around the block a few times everything working except the horn. Then alternator died so it was replaced, along with the voltage regulator. After adding new ADQ needles per Keith Williams instructions, which were purchased within the last month, I put another gallon in the tank and while backing out of the garage car died.
Looking under the hood one of the B/W wires had pulled off the incapacitated ballast resistor. Wire was reconnected. Still no start. Looking under the dash I see a couple of wires with loose electrical tape and underneath it some exposed wire. Wires retaped. Fuses checked, still no start. Checking plugged connectors all seems OK, so contact cleaner sprayed in all plugs. Still no start.
A distress call put out, Victor answers the call.
First we check the hook-up. Everything looks good. Next crank and check coil wire ....spark, good. Then spark plug wires from cap... spark, good.
Victor notices no gas filling filter and wonders if gas is getting from tank. Pulling the hose he states., "No gas". I can not believe it. I had put in another gallon as noted above. We go get 1 gal of gas, and put in tank. Crank, crank, crank and the filter starts to fill. Vic notices some debris in filter. Finally, it starts. Yeah!
After checking the carbs for balance, good, we go get about 9 gal of gas. Car runs fine to gas station.
Still no turn signals or stop lights. We discover a loose wire in rear harness, turn signals now work.
We call it a day.
Only stop lights prevent driving now.
Moral to story, check the gas! Blow out lines. Check and clean all connectors. Look for loose tape.
Last, keep going. As the I Ching says, "perseverence furthers"
Also, get some help if you need it.
Thanks Victor!

Linda
68 1600
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

Post by Import_sounds-of-mid-GA »

well, one time when i was getting my car running it wouldnt crank up.... so i checked the lines, checked the filter, put gas in it, and nothing worked.... happens to be the positive wire to the coil.
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

Just need to go through everything first! Check check check! Fuel problems are fun, good thing the fuel filter helps determine if there is fuel or not! Ive gotten stranded on the side of the freeway do to no gas... :lol: that was fun!

Good to hear it worked out! Lesson to be learned! :D
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

I will not admit in a public forum how many times I have had a "no start" only to discover the distributor rotor sitting on the tool box or some other simple thing. Just because it's a simple problem doesn't mean it's easy to find. Congrats.

I had gotten mine on the road this summer, gone for a few mile test drive with a large silly grin on my face. Came back, bolted in the passenger seat for my Wife and took her for a ride. Ran out of gas and had to push it thelast block home. The 2 gallons I had put in a dry tank a month ago and then all the tuning and stuff had run out! Being a gentleman, I let her steer while I pushed it home.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

Post by Import_sounds-of-mid-GA »

dbrick wrote:I will not admit in a public forum how many times I have had a "no start" only to discover the distributor rotor sitting on the tool box or some other simple thing.
hehehe..... i wont either....
ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by ppeters914 »

Once a month, I take the car for a quick spin just to keep things loose and charged. Don't go far 'cuz the brakes barely work (Project #1).

I've not been filling up because I want to have minimal gas to drain before I pull and clean the gas tank. Unfortunately, another project is getting the gauges to work properly, so, on my last spin......yup, you guessed it - ran outta gas. :oops:

Personally, I think this is one of the most embarrassing reasons for a breakdown. Checking for fresh fuel in the see-thru inline filters is the first thing I do now.

Glad to hear you're up and runnin' Linda.
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle