General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Cary
Roadster Newby
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Installing carpet - Question

Post by Cary »

I'm new to Datsun restorations, so please forgive me if this question is inappropriate (or dumb).

I've ordered a very nice, complete set of replacement carpets for our 1967.5 Roadster from one of the Forum's vendors - Datsun Parts.com.

The carpet material did not come with the "snaps" per-installed, but I purchased their carpet fastener kit (Part No 2573).

I'm wondering if I should use the fasteners, since the carpets should adhere nicely to the floor with (only) contact cement/glue?

And if I was to use the carpet fasteners, I can't figure out how the two discs are supposed to be fastened to the carpeting?

Does anyone have any advice and/or instructions for the fasteners?

Many thanks, Cary
datsun1500
Roadsteraholic

Re: Installing carpet - Question

Post by datsun1500 »

You don’t really need them if you glue it in, but if you want to install them the part with the 3 "prongs" are on the plush side. You cut 3 small slots for the prongs to go through (xacto knife is perfect for it). Push them through the carpet, then put the lower part on, bend the prongs to hold.
I remember when no one wanted the 1500s......
Solex68
Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Solex68 »

I wouldn't recommend gluing the carpet for several reasons.
Firstly, if it gets wet from rain or any other source, having snaps in place allows for easy removal of the carpet.
Another reason is that the driver's side tends to wear out faster than the rest of the carpet. In such cases, an upholsterer can make a new one at a much lower cost. When it's snapped in, that makes replacement a breeze.
The most important reason, in my opinion, not to glue the carpet is that the carpet kits available are generally not be of the quality one would hope for. While this isn't the fault of the seller, the Distinctive carpet kits, for example, may not meet the expectations for quality or longevity. I can't speak for other manufacturers, but I suspect they might have similar issues.
The snaps are a pain but once done, you will be proud and happy to know you can get under them if ever needed. I ran sound dampening under mine, as my car can be a little loud at time.
There are plenty of tips in the forum for this. Also, you are in Carlsbad, I'm about 45 minutes aways, you can come by any time and look at mine or talk about anything roadster. There are about five of us around here and anyone of us would be happy to meet you, see your car and answer any questions about anything Datsun Roadster. PM me if you are interested.
Greg a.k.a SOLEX68 - http://www.datsunvents.com/
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
Always willing to help another Datsun Roadster owner
Pending installs: SS brake lines, Stan Stealth Dizzy
Cary
Roadster Newby
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Cary »

Thanks, Greg and Datsun1500, for the advice. I now understand how to install the fasteners! There weren't any instructions for them.
You both have been helpful. Thank you!
mikeb
Site Supporter

Post by mikeb »

Cary, I had trouble with the fasteners, too.
As an alternative, I used heavy duty velcro, which gives much better coverage than single snaps.