How much did I de-value my car?

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Skyman
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

How much did I de-value my car?

Post by Skyman »

Hey everyone, not that it matters now but I have always been curious. I have a 67.5 spl311 matching number car. In the restoration process I have replaced the 1600 with a u20. How much have I de-valued my car by doing this? I know this is MY car and I can do whatever I want with it, but looking at it from a collectors standpoint I would think that it has lowered the value. I also plan on removing the side trim in lieu of cool pinstripping.

BTW, anyone need a block? Wife wants the greasy thing gone.

Kyle
JoeK
Roadster Fanatic

Post by JoeK »

Well, I'd say that if you still have the block, you haven't permanently devalued the car at all, since you can always just drop it back in.

I don't know whether these cars have hit that collectors status where it matters though, yet.
Joe
Former owner of:
'68 2L
BLK SRL
sold 12-11-2012
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

Well if its a 67 2000 clone you may have raised the value a bit? I may be off, though some people may prefer the original engine etc. rather than clones.
Dave
Turbo Powered
Location: In the refrigerator, to the left of the mayonnaise, behind the pickles and beer.

Post by Dave »

It all depends on your buyer at the time you sell it. To someone who is looking for a 100% numbers matching, all original car down to the correct bias ply tires, floor mats, and OEM air filter, your car is now pretty much worthless. HOWEVER, those folks are not the "average" roadster buyer in my opinion. I think the vast majority of folks who are in the market for a 67.5 roadster as opposed to a later model one want it because of the low windshield and cool flat dash. For those folks, you may have actually INCREASED the value of the car because it now has more power and (in my opinion) is more fun to drive.

If I were in the market for a short windshield car, I'd probably pay $500 to $1,000 more for one with a neatly swapped in U20 as opposed to the stock R16. Why? Because it would save me the trouble of doing the swap myself! Maybe I'm nuts though....
Dave Kaplan

68 2000 Roadster - Now with GT2560R power!
SR20-DET: 223 rwhp, 222 lb-ft.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/698904
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

Post by Import_sounds-of-mid-GA »

I completely agree with what Dave said
Cherry Blossom

Post by Cherry Blossom »

hey, you wanna sell me your side moldings? mine are in horrible condition. :lol:
seriously though, pm me if you do.
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

You didn't devalue it at all if you aren't selling it. Anyway the prices are bouncing so wildly on Ebay it seems to matter more when you sell than what you sell.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit