under-the-dash treatment

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

MH69Dats

under-the-dash treatment

Post by MH69Dats »

I had to replace the throttle cable on my 69 2000 - the dash cable that runs right behind the heater. While trying to mold my hand and body into the driver's side compartment (God *bless* the man...), I noticed that the heater and wiper motor needs a little love.

So I'm asking a 'blanket' question here:

Any advice for R&R on the heater and wiper motor? I didn't completely remove the heater box to fix the cable...

Also, I can't find a screw on the choke cable knob...how do you get that off?

Anything and everything is appreciated!

---Marty
MH69Dats

Heater box removal

Post by MH69Dats »

Here's a follow-up for all those who may be asking the same questions:

I decided not to remove the wiper motor after further inspection, but I did get the heater box out of the way. It looks daunting, but it's really not too bad. I did all of the work laying across both seats, working in the passenger compartment mainly. It took about 3 hours, learning as I went.

1) Drain coolant, or at least pinch off both heater hoses in the engine compartment. Disconnect battery cables.
2) Remove the driver's side lower dash panel, center console, shifter boot, and radio console. Make sure you mark the wiring connections because they all look very similar. I suspect that you could easily get them mixed up. I could not get the choke cables out of the radio console, but the whole lot was easily moved out of the way with the cables in tact.
3) Remove the rubber defrost duct in the front of the heater box.
4) disconnect all of the heater control cables.
5) Remove the 'tunnel' bracket that holds the bottom of the heater box to the center tunnel.
6) Remove 2 bolts from the engine compartment. these are located in the middle section of the firewall, near the gas pedal linkage. It was easier for me to remove both throttle cables and brackets for more hand room.
7a) Take note: There is a gasket at the top of the heater box where the fresh air intake is located. Mine was completely obliterated during this operation. You will want to plan on replacing this foam gasket.
7b) Here's the messy part: you will need to get a container to catch some coolant. 1Qt size should be good - I used a 1/2 gallon plastic milk container. Put your thickest bath towel in the passenger compartment floor/tunnel (don't tell your wife...) I suspect a doggie pee-pad would work well here. Loosen the lower heater hose from the heater box and drain the hose/heater core into the container. Tilt/move the heater box to get more coolant out. Plug the heater core with a rubber stopper.
8) Remove the upper heater hose using the same method. This hose should be empty now, so the large bath towel should not be needed.
9) Slide the whole lot out onto the passenger side floor and take out.
10) Last, but not least - rinse out that bath towel and get it in the wash machine before your wife finds out!

Thanks to all who have contributed to this forum!

---Marty