Duncan rolls ‘68 2000

Here you can introduce yourself to the group.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Gladisco
Roadster Newby
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Duncan rolls ‘68 2000

Post by Gladisco »

Long time Lurker, first time roadster owner. Duncan came to me via an unfortunate passing of an old acquaintance. I have known this roadster since the early 90’s and loved from afar. I was attending San Francisco State at the time and was more into motorcycles at the time eventually graduating to bicycles. Never having the space or time to really have a project, fast forward 30 years, we fled SF to Aptos 10 years ago, relocating for a job in Monterey. He/she was red in the ‘90’s and turned silver sometime in the early 2000’s. I was fortunate to get Mike Young’s name and reached out as the car had passed through his shop and he knew the car’s namesake. Mike gave me some great insight and history to the car, like what year it is?! I hope to have him give it a once over but logistics are complicated, so I was referred to another wrench, Travis Cole, another roadster Angel from the heavens, who has got it running and rescued it from my friend’s garage in Sonoma. Besides sitting outside for the last 5 maybe years and housing what smells to be a cat and mice maybe, I have every receipt and documentation going back to Duncan’s purchase by Duncanin 1990. I couldn’t find any user name or vin associated with them here, but maybe some of you knew him or his car? Oh I bought sight unseen and it wasn’t running, smart huh?

Sorry that was a little long winded of an intro. Here is where we are at:
1. Gas was flushed and then it fired up-whew than god!
2. Clutch mc was dead - replaced
3. It stinks
4. Really bad
5. Travis is doing brake mc and rear cylinders (510)
6. Fuel lines at carbs replaced after my first drive was leaking after my first only drive oops!
7. Thought seats were going but they actually are comfortable and 4 point harness seems safe. Have originals that would need re do.
8. Need vin plate and registration
9. Oh yeah battery
10. Focus on cleaning and tackling the interior
11. Painting the drivers front fender, did I mention my friend has an awesome set of tools?

My goal is to have a reliable fun project for my 14 year old son and myself and doing it on the cheap, not succeeding on that part so far. I am a hack mechanic and worse carpenter but great at you tube. I appreciate this site and all who make it possible both on the site and for the dream. I am super psyched….
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Re: Duncan rolls ‘68 2000

Post by theunz »

Welcome, nice looking roadster. You can buy a blank vin plate from several of our vendors and then stamp in the information yourself. I think one of the vendors will even stamp it for you. The plate is simply held on by Phillip head screws. If you look on the frame under the carbs you should see the Vin number. It may take some cleaning to see it though. The motor has its number stamped on the passenger side of the block just under the head towards the front. It’s very easy to find unless the block has been decked.
As for the stink, the first thing I would do if I had indoor storage is to completely remove the top and all the carpet. Then shampoo everywhere you can get to and then wait. I bought a 69 Porsche 911 that had sat in a shed for over 25 years and was a real rats nest. Since the carpet was glued down I couldn’t just remove it, so I cleaned as well as I could and let it air out with the windows down. For 5 years! It still had an old car smell, but no longer stunk like urine. Fortunately for me the long wait was not an issue as I wanted to finish restoring my Datsun before tackling the Porsche. There are commercial avenues you can pursue for quicker results of course. I’ve heard good things about ionizing machines.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
Alvin

Post by Alvin »

Welcome!
(edited b/c I got the wrong Travis) :D
Last edited by Alvin on Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
Gladisco
Roadster Newby

Post by Gladisco »

Thanks Mike and Alvin - my name is Dave btw and hope to get some road time soon with y’all. I am shooting for Solvang.
First I need to gut the interior and hit the what I hope is surface rust and steam clean the funk out. Most the carpet is up on the floor boards so I suspect the rear deck is where most the problem is. I will take this to the tech section if needed but what is best method? My plan is wire wheel it and seal it with something? I will get full pic’s posted asap and follow up per task later.
Gladisco
Roadster Newby

Post by Gladisco »

Thanks Mike and Alvin - my name is Dave btw and hope to get some road time soon with y’all. I am shooting for Solvang.
First I need to gut the interior and hit the what I hope is surface rust and steam clean the funk out. Most the carpet is up on the floor boards so I suspect the rear deck is where most the problem is. I will take this to the tech section if needed but what is best method? My plan is wire wheel it and seal it with something? I will get full pic’s posted asap and follow up per task later.
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Welcome! Try using "Poof," or the one I bought off Amazon... "Zero Odor". It works to change the chemistry of the smell, not cover it up. Shampoo then spray it. I've not used it on a car, but it's been great for carpet etc.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Dreymar
Roadster Nut

Post by Dreymar »

That's a precious Roadster! Welcome
Gladisco
Roadster Newby

Post by Gladisco »

Thanks for the kind words. Good to know there is more than 1 competant Travis in the roadster world. Super psyched on driving it and that it is the first car to see the inside of our garage.

Well, I got a week of driving under my belt and it is officially a rolling resto’. Did a few trips over the Santa Cruz mtns, once during commute times even. Nothing like being behind a slow Prius train on a twisty mountain road with your first proper sports car :(

Cheers hope to put some faces to cars soon. Now if i could figure out the picture thing….
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alvin

Post by Alvin »

Let's meet up for a drive!
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600

Post by redroadster »

Don't they ,Cal. ID OD the vehicle?
No problem with a brand new serial # plate ? on 50 yr old car
It would be yikes in Midwest
Also the steering shaft has an important safety issue if your unaware
Best to have the stock cushion / horn pad installed
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Welcome Dave! Glad to see you're enjoying these fun cars... looks great! One of the advantages to being semi-retired is being able to hit the twisty mountain roads on a weekday... much less traffic here! But I certainly hear you about the "slow train". I will however provide a cautionary tail for all to think about... a few years ago my wife and I were coming back from our mountain drive and had gotten into a train of slow cars on a two lane country road. I hate being behind slow cars as you sit and stare at their rear bumper for miles and miles. I kept hearing a voice saying "Warp drive is at your command...". Finally on a straight I dropped her into 3rd and engaged warp drive to pass the 4 cars in front of me. As I was approaching the lead car and about to pass, I noted his left turn signal was on (!). I had just enough time to get past him before he turned into the unexpected driveway. Had I not, I would have likely killed him, myself, my wife and possibly others in order to gain... what exactly? I like to think that I don't need to be warned more than once, so from that day forward I have become much more patient and careful. I still drive fast (ask my wife, though she enjoys it too... good copilot) but I choose the time and place more carefully and do so to avoid any risk to others. Now, today I see more than ever the jackasses running lights or blasting through intersections, and after my car accident in 2022 (got hit head on in my 2006 Mazda 3 hatch at 60-90mph per police, stolen car) I know what the consequences can be... not worth it! Now, if I have a section of road I want to have fun on I will literally pull over and wait for the cars to clear, then go hit the corners and have my fun. And I come home.

Enjoy the ride my friends, but please do it so you can enjoy it over and over! Sunny side up!
:smt006
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA