1970 Soft top Question on the bow

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

mspencer
Roadster Newby
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

1970 Soft top Question on the bow

Post by mspencer »

I have not seen the soft top installed before and when I got the car the soft top was not included. i think i have all the parts now picked up a good quality soft top and cleaned up the frame. what i don't know is on the front of the bow the leading edge where the material goes over it. Is that edge just the metal edge of the bow or should there be something else there protecting the back of the material against the metal edge? I still have a bit of cleaning up on the bow but wanted to make sure i have everything.
datsun bow2.jpg
Datsun bow1.jpg
Your guidance is much appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bwk2000
Roadsteraholic

Re: 1970 Soft top Question on the bow

Post by Bwk2000 »

There is a protective fabric layer glued over the edges (see pic below).

You might find this video helpful with the installation:

https://youtu.be/axG0S0Xei80?feature=shared

IMG_3289.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kai
Halifax, N.S.
’69 SPL311 Sports 1600

Classic Cars - Because clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.
mspencer
Roadster Newby

Re: 1970 Soft top Question on the bow

Post by mspencer »

Thank you, One more question. As I said I have seen a soft top installed and I have picked up parts to get this together. In the pic attached, I show the bow and the metal retaining bracket, the one that holds the soft top in place on the bow. I am assuming i have it correct in the pic. (its the only way it would fit, but i am not sure i have the correct one). So there are 3 parts that come together at the leading edge of the bow. the bow edge, the plastic (aftermarket) cover, and the hold-down bracket as seen in the pic.

Thanks again