7K Tach Conversion (High Windshield)

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

70-1600
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: 7K Tach Conversion (High Windshield)

Post by 70-1600 »

funkaholik wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:03 pm This is awesome. I love how it all fits in the stock housing, unlike the 8K tach modification. Great job figuring it out and posting the part numbers needed. I also have a '70 1600 and I'm just northeast of you in Concord.
Thanks Eric. I've seen several posts of your 1600 and the job done to stroke your engine. I've been collecting parts over the past few years with a long term plan to stroke my engine. I purchased an H20 crankshaft new in the box a few years back, and some used U20 pistons with rods that are in good shape. Hope to get after it soon.

-jt
1970 1600 - SPL-31127516
San Jose, CA
70-1600
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by 70-1600 »

drieseck wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:16 pm jt, thanks for these very important------finish up post(s) and results, very helpful. Re-using the OEM body and face---simply first class and professional. Most realize, once a tough mod is complete it is nice to move-on, but this post-op truly helps others, much appreciated. If possible, maybe a tip/caution/technique(s)/pics showing how-to-start? There has been much struggle and vague opinions on how to remove the crimped-with-sealer housing, then actually re-fitting. This critical procedure, jig or insight kept Mr. Frampton in everyone's debt. Hopefully he's now simply enjoying his car (which is fantastic) or retired, so we're back on our own. Your help is appreciated. Dave
Dave - as I said before, it's quite rewarding to be able to make contributions to this forum on things we've all done with our Roadsters and learn from one another. Thanks for the kudos on this particular tach conversion. Tip/caution/techniques/pics on how to start...? As you can see from the beginning of my post, some trial and error took place with the first gauge. Going to the smaller Autometer unit was the key to getting this all into the stock housing. It's pretty easy to disassemble the stock tach - the chrome ring and bezel come off by removing the 3 small screws around the outside. Nearly all gauges I've seen need either the bezel being polished (if possible) or replaced. I chose to replace with an economical choice of material from Tap Plastics (exact thickness and cut to the exact diameter). The internals of the stock tach come right out, and removing the stock face from the mechanism is simple. I touched up the yellow and red markings on stock face as well with a couple of Sharpie markers, which worked just fine. Here are a few more pics of the process that may prove a bit more helpful.

Stock internals...
Stock out.jpeg
Stock apart.jpeg
Stock internals.jpeg
Stock face as it came out (colors faded) and colors touched up...
Stock face.jpeg
Stock face touched up.jpeg
Autometer unit and Autometer unit apart (front ring/bezel just pops off the plastic housing, remove two nuts off the back of the plastic housing, and the internals come right out)...
Autometer.jpeg
Autometer apart.jpeg
The face of the stock gauge is two-level; one face has the numerical markings, the outer ring has the hash marks and yellow/red line markings. They are held together by a slot-and-tab attachment. Removing the pointer is simple - just pull it off the shaft of the stock mechanism. I did the same with the pointer on the Autometer tach, then removed the two screws holding its face to the armature housing. Mounting the stock face to the Autometer plastic housing required drilling a couple of new pilot holes into the armature housing. I marked the locations by placing the stock gauge face onto the housing (centering it on the Autometer armature shaft) and using a sharpie to mark the plastic through the face's mounting holes.

Stock face mounted to Autometer armature...a few angles...
Autometer mounted 1.jpeg
Autometer mounted 2.jpeg
Autometer mounted 3.jpeg

I think the key to this is just to go slowly and be patient. It's really straightforward - all we're doing here is taking off the stock mechanical mechanism from the face, and attaching the Autometer armature in it's place. And using the stock pointer in place of the autometer pointer as well.

-jt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1970 1600 - SPL-31127516
San Jose, CA
drieseck
Site Supporter

Post by drieseck »

Fantastic, thank you jt. I'm looking at the pre-68' gauges and apologies, I now realize the early style are the ones with crimped-on trim, not the three screws fastening the trim-to-housing. Very great mod none-the-less. I still may try some gymnastics to convert an early set. Additional photos are much appreciated. Dave
68' 2L solex- in progress
68' 2L SU- driver, 69' 2L next