Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

AmishRoadster
Roadster Newby
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Intake Manifold powder or ceramic coating

Post by AmishRoadster »

Hey All,

Looking to see if anyone had their intake manifold ceramic coated. I am in the middle of an engine rebuild on my 68 SU 2000 and want to either paint, powder coat, or ceramic coat the intake manifold. I was leaning toward ceramic coating but not sure if anyone has done that and had positive/negative results.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1968 Roadster 2000
1963 Ford Galaxie 500
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Re: Intake Manifold powder or ceramic coating

Post by SLOroadster »

I painted mine with bright silver high temp paint and baked it in the oven. That was 20+ years ago and it still looks good. I'd say clean it really well and go that route, or send it out to be ceramic coated, or even just powdercoated as it shouldn't get that hot.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
Stick
Roadster Fanatic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Stick »

With the engine design having intake and exhaust intertwined on the same side, I'd consider any type of coating that may improve the situation to any degree. When I get to the stage of removing my engine for my 5th gear replacement I'll be coating exhaust, heat shield and intake.... might even wrap exhaust headers near intake.

Could be a feel good mod and might not make that much difference, but I'm certainly going to consider it as I can do my own coatings
Greg McCarty
1969 SRL311 07324
david premo
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by david premo »

Glass bead blast it and clear coat with VHT satin clear coat.
Dave
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Stick wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:10 pm With the engine design having intake and exhaust intertwined on the same side, I'd consider any type of coating that may improve the situation to any degree. When I get to the stage of removing my engine for my 5th gear replacement I'll be coating exhaust, heat shield and intake.... might even wrap exhaust headers near intake.

Could be a feel good mod and might not make that much difference, but I'm certainly going to consider it as I can do my own coatings
I've wrapped my ceramic coated header with both traditional wrap and now with Heat Shield Products header wrap. Besides the concerns reported about traditional wrap causing problems for the header, the Heat Shield Products wrap worked better but was much more expensive. I don't run a traditional factory heat shield on my car (solex version running Jenvey Heritage TBs) but have added a separate one (with added stick-on heat shield material) that bolts to the body and sit under the TBs... that has worked great (TBs are now cool to the touch, before were quite warm), the shield is easy to remove and will allow easier access to manifold bolts. Just a thought... if you look closely you can see it under the TBs and how it is screwed to the body.

:smt006
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Daryl Smith
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Daryl Smith »

https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14474

They are talking V8's but the theory still applies. On a water cooled manifold such as ours, I would think ceramic coating the manifold inside and out would provide some benefit, but, I've not been able to confirm this in any of my searches - "ceramic coat intake manifold?"
Speed Talk is my go to forum, but some forums with engines similar to ours (exhaust/intake on same side) might shed some light on it.

Maybe the MG/Triumph/Volvo racing forums?