Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

SMHertz
Roadster Newby
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Valve stem seals

Post by SMHertz »

So I have been flighting leaking valve stem seals...

I have replaced the valve stem seals a couple times and they are insanely tight. I end up having to pound them on. Is this normal????

When they instantly leak and I take them off I can see where I am breaking them when I install them. I install them as gingerly as possible but the metal keeps cracking...

Was there ever a different size post for the valve seal in the U20 head? Am I just a big dumb idiot and hulk smashing these things on? I always oil them up and tap them on as gingerly as possible but they are really hard to get on and off....

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jrusso07
Roadsteraholic

Re: Valve stem seals

Post by jrusso07 »

Never had a problem with these, they should just slide on. Found this video on a H20 seal replacement https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-njUatjaRwQ

Seal install at about 14:20 in the video. I believe the U20 and R16 5 main bearing blocks use the same valve stem seal.

Check your valve stem diameter. I attached a screen shot from the manual.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe

1969 SRL311 - Solex
1970 SPL311 - U20 mod
1970 SRL311
david premo
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by david premo »

They should be very easy to install, with minimal effort to push them on. Sounds like something is not right with your head. Why don’t you post a picture of the guides without the seals in place, someone might spot the problem.
Dave
SMHertz
Roadster Newby

Post by SMHertz »

They slip onto the valves really easy, its getting them set down onto the stud/post that the valve guide is inserted into where I have to beat them on

I attached a photo from the internet of where my issue starts.

Ill go take my valves off tonight and try and get a photo.

Thanks
SMHertz
Roadster Newby

Post by SMHertz »

jrusso07, I just watched the video and mine were 50 times harder than that. I had to get a torch and heat them off the first time.
david premo
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by david premo »

That looks like stock U-20 guides, are you using Nissan seals or something from the aftermarket? It might be that the seals you are using are not compatible with the head.
Dave
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

You must have the wrong seals or guides. They go on with finger pressure-no tools required.
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
Solex68
Site Supporter

Post by Solex68 »

If I were a betting man, I'd bet JT has some for sale. I have a couple of sets but I'm keeping em just in case.
Greg a.k.a SOLEX68 - http://www.datsunvents.com/
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
Always willing to help another Datsun Roadster owner
Pending installs: All steering components, Stan Stealth Dizzy
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600

Post by redroadster »

Use a dial caliper to check the guide diameter and inside of the seal
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
Datsunparts.comInc
Roadsteraholic

Post by Datsunparts.comInc »

Scott, There are many company's that make seals all over the planet

We have sold only one brand, Stone of Japan for 36 years, the company that Nissan used in all their kits and sold as repacked in Nissan card stock.
Give them a try. I have never had a complaint or return and I've sold thousands of these.

https://datsunparts.com/collections/eng ... 9248949432

Dean
New Shopping cart web-site. More parts on display in our showroom than most vendors carry in their entire inventory! 2900 active parts numbers in our catalog. 2020 Inventory piece count- 96,155 parts on hand! "Shop A Movie" at our web-site
SMHertz
Roadster Newby

Post by SMHertz »

Hey Dean!

So those are the ones I purchased. I've actually purchased two sets now. The head has been rebuilt but I have no idea how anyone would make the post larger.... I'm going to measure the post with a caliper tonight. Does anyone know what a stock unmolested post diameter should be?

Thanks
Datsunparts.comInc
Roadsteraholic

I have no clue why they are not working for you. I have never changed this product. Can you measure the top of the guide with a caliper and share with me the diameter?

Dean
New Shopping cart web-site. More parts on display in our showroom than most vendors carry in their entire inventory! 2900 active parts numbers in our catalog. 2020 Inventory piece count- 96,155 parts on hand! "Shop A Movie" at our web-site
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Nissan made oversized guides, but I expect they were smart enough to retain the original seal size.

Someone may have made some oversized guides that were oversized on top and used a different seal.

The correct diameter for the top of the guides is: .560"

Yes, we have correct stem seals in stock!
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
Datsunparts.comInc
Roadsteraholic

My seals fit my U20 head w stock guides and they fit just fine on #1 cylinder. They are essentially Nissan. They also fit over the SI guides, at the top where the valve seal sits, with their diameter spec being .565 confirmed by Chris at SI.
"Most likely some cheap mechanic repurposed some oversize guide material and did not change the top dimension for the seal which is a different dimension then the section that presses into the head" Chris SI
1692 1.JPEG
Dean
Datsunparts.comInc
Roadsteraholic

Scott, If you need guides we are WD for SI and have them and they are specifically made for the roadster. We have standard and oversize in stock. THe Nissan valve seals fit both without issue.

https://datsunparts.com/products/datsun ... 3062798520
Last edited by Datsunparts.comInc on Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.