Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Early 1600s in hotly/high environments

Post by Habitat.pat »

My stroker 1600 has been running well in Central Texas with the temperatures as high as 108. Altitude is about 500’. I’m now on the 3rd day of my long drive to Seattle and a nearing Las Vegas NM, elevation 6400’, temperature about 88 . I had to have the car towed to a shop today. They will look @ it tomorrow but mentioned that they’ve seen a lot of older cars vapor lock.

Fuel tank, fuel lines, hoses & non-OEM fuel pump from Dean are new. Glass fuel filter & carbs gone through. Filter checked for leaks & even bypassed to check. I bypassed the fuel pump with an electric pump, no difference.

When the engine is cool, it starts & runs fine, 100 miles plus. If I then stop for fuel it will run up to a mile or so, then it dies. Carbs & filter are empty. If I blow into the tank I can force fuel into the filter & the car may run another 300’ or til I turn it off hours down the road.

I disconnected the fuel line from the carbs while the electric pump was connected & just got spits of fuel. With the engine off & the electric pump running for several minutes, hardly any fuel made it into the carbs. I tried running with the gas cap off- no difference.

The shop guys said that they sometimes replace the steel fuel line with rubber hose to fix it. They will be looking at it tomorrow morning.

The tow truck driver said that he’s heard of using premium fuel and/or adding some stuff that raises fuel boiling point.

Any suggestions or insights?

If they can’t get it running tomorrow they won’t be able to get to it until Tuesday.

Peace, Pat
67.5 SPL311 Stroker Restomod
Pat Horne, Near Austin, TX
We support Habitat for Humanity
A hand UP, not a hand OUT
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Early 1600s in hotly/high environments

Post by redroadster »

If you put a HF vacuum pump on it a few quick pumps it should pull gas to fill the cup my 70 the S bend is small to start with ( just out of the tank ,3/16 line ) calciumed up and wouldn't pull gas removed and it pulled fine ( note that S bend likely is to stop fuel flow siphoning in a wreck with frt. end lower ,like in a ditch )
Be careful getting to far away from stock on a temp line
the gas bowls could be boiling the gas might leave the hood cracked to test
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
Nissanman
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Nissanman »

I have had severe vapour lock issues in my SP310 in our Oz climate.
I have solved it by insulating the fuel line from fuel pump to carb. float bowls.
The pump to head line is rigid and I wrapped it with self adhesive insulation.
From there the rubber lines are covered in tubular insulation since they sit right above the exhaust manifold.
So far so good :D
Nissanman, just trying to help.
1965 SP310 Engine No. G-93326 Car No. SP310-10817
https://photos.shutterfly.com/album/60141836519
On the road again!
rwmann
Model: 2000

Post by rwmann »

Descriptions sound more like fuel starvation than vapor locking, but I’m not there to observe..
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic

Post by Habitat.pat »

Thanks for the replies. I should have added that I have fiberglass-lined black tubing on the lines from the fuel pump to the carbs as well as fiberglass wrap on the header. I also put aluminum muffler insulation on the back of the carb heat shield.

I’m not comfortable continuing this trip, as I have higher & equally warm parts of the trip ahead. I’ll head home & take care of dropping the main fuel line temperature.

It’s funny, I’ve driven this car much higher & @ higher temperatures without any problems, just not @ the same time. The higher was about 20 years ago so I suspect gas has been reformulated since then.

Peace, Pat
nismou20
Roadsteraholic

Post by nismou20 »

I concur that it’s fuel starvation and not vapor lock!
2004 Chevy Tracker
2010 RAV4
1969 Datsun Roadster
2005 Lotus Elise
1995 Toyota Tercel (Poormans Corolla)
2001 Fleetwood Jamboree RV
Bwk2000
Roadsteraholic

Post by Bwk2000 »

Habitat.pat wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:43 pm
Any suggestions or insights?
Vented gas cap plugged-up?
Kai
Halifax, N.S.
’69 SPL311 Sports 1600

Classic Cars - Because clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic

Post by Habitat.pat »

Nope, not plugged gas cap, it does the same thing with the cap off.

If I blow into the gas filler I get a full stream of fuel out @ the fuel filter.

Right now I removed the filter & installed the electric pump directly between the fuel line @ the carbs. It hardly has any flow. I’m beginning to think I have both defective mechanical & electric pump. If the shop can’t get to it today I’ll hit it again & swap out the electric pump.
23yrRebuild

Post by 23yrRebuild »

A stupid question, I'm sure,....but did you check that you have your "inlet" and "outlet" lines on either of your pumps, going in the right direction ?
Mike - '67 Stroker / 5-Speed
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic

Post by Habitat.pat »

Yes. The mechanical pump has arrows stamped & it worked for several thousand miles. The electric pump has “out” stamped on one end.

Thanks for the suggestion, I suspect it’s something that I’m overlooking. I’m hoping the shop will have time today to check it out, otherwise it will be Tuesday before they can look. They already looked @ it this morning & found a marginal connection in the ignition & pronounced it cured. 3 miles down the road it started sputtering & I limped back to them.
Bwk2000
Roadsteraholic

Post by Bwk2000 »

Habitat.pat wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:43 am Nope, not plugged gas cap, it does the same thing with the cap off.

If I blow into the gas filler I get a full stream of fuel out @ the fuel filter.

Right now I removed the filter & installed the electric pump directly between the fuel line @ the carbs. It hardly has any flow. I’m beginning to think I have both defective mechanical & electric pump. If the shop can’t get to it today I’ll hit it again & swap out the electric pump.
Huh 🤔 I suppose it’s possible you have two duds. Are you going to test the electric for flow issues first?

If that’s not the problem, I would drain the tank to make the sure the pick up is not partially plugged. You can just use compressed air (fuel line —> tank), see what comes out and go from there.
Kai
Halifax, N.S.
’69 SPL311 Sports 1600

Classic Cars - Because clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic

Post by Habitat.pat »

Thanks. I will let the shop look @ it today, they just pulled it in.

As for a plugged line/tank, they are both new but there always could be something that got in.
drieseck
Site Supporter

Post by drieseck »

Pat call Tom Hoagland 719 649 7719, he's in Colorado Springs about 300 miles north of you, way better than turning back. I don't have your number. He's happy to have you bring the car to his home/shop if you can make it. He's happy to trouble shoot where you are now. He'll have the answer.
68' 2L solex- in progress
68' 2L SU- driver, 69' 2L next
drieseck
Site Supporter

Post by drieseck »

Correction he's 250 miles north of Las Vegas, NM
68' 2L solex- in progress
68' 2L SU- driver, 69' 2L next
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic

Post by Habitat.pat »

Thanks for the contact. The shop said that in this area gas starts to boil at about 100°. Engine compartment is hotter than that. It turns out the electric pump is bad, so I bought a new one & installed it. I haven’t put bot a few miles on it but as long as I’m not stopped, it’s fine but it sputters after sitting @ a light. The pump is in the engine compartment now but I may move it to the tank so it’s not sucking fuel. That way any vapors will be pushed out through the carbs. While I’m at it I will replace the steel line to the front with hose per Tom Walter’s recommendation.

I just found a tree with a good size kerb around it so I can get under to work. I’ll check the lines for blockage while I’m there.

Luckily it’s only 86°.

I’ll post after my trial.