A loss to our 311 family

A place to pay tribute to fallen folks

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

A loss to our 311 family

Post by Gregs672000 »

Dear Roadster Family, I’m afraid I must impart some extremely sad news that came to my attention this afternoon, and that is the sudden and totally unexpected passing of my/our friend and 311s family member Pat Collins, known here as Unklpat. A mutual friend texted me and reported that Pat had been found at home yesterday by family after he had failed to respond to phone calls etc. While I have no direct information, it appeared that he had died peacefully on the couch, but the cause is yet unknown.

I was completely shocked by this news. I had spoken with Pat just last week and made tentative plans to get together and go for a drive as soon as my motor was done, as we had been discussing it throughout the entire process. I texted him yesterday that the engine was done and we were closer to a drive... and like family didn't hear back.

I’ve only known Pat for a few years, but for me he was always a stand up guy. Always generous, always willing to help. This past December, after my car accident left me with a broken back and ankle, when an errant chunk of metal punched a hole in my wife’s Z3 transmission cover and left us with no transportation it was Pat whom I called, and it was Pat who came, removed the pan, took me (in his Roadster) to the welder, then multiple parts stores to get what we needed, then did the whole job for me and drove home in the cold, an hour and a half away. He had even bought me lunch. That was just one example. I know he could (and did) ruffle some feathers here and elsewhere, and many a firey conversation was had here on 311s, but I always found him funny, honest, passionate and even humble. He was someone I respected and was glad and honored to call a friend.

I so wish I’d had more time to develop that friendship. He knew so many things, had experience doing a wide variety of jobs or careers or hobbies… the few I know of ranged from bee keeping to orchards to sound and stereo/home theatre design to health care. He almost always had some insight or thought or experience with whatever you were working on. I was looking forward to our drives, for the chance to sit and BS some more, to dig in and share insights about life that come from experience, good and bad, then thought and reflection, shared. I was looking forward to this human being. I feel robbed.

Pat, I know you are resting in peace my friend, cause you were a good guy. A damn good guy. A true Roadster guy. I will miss you. We all will.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
TobyMan
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: A loss to our 311 family

Post by TobyMan »

Rest in peace. He will be missed.
Wilson, NY
1968 1600
S Allen
Site Admin
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by S Allen »

Sorry to hear this. RIP.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Bwk2000
Roadsteraholic

Post by Bwk2000 »

It’s very strange. Sometimes, although we never actually met someone, we feel as if we did. Pat is one of those people; he will be greatly missed here. My heart goes out to his family & friends; I wish them peace.
Kai
Halifax, N.S.
’69 SPL311 Sports 1600

Classic Cars - Because clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.
steve_car
Roadster Fanatic

Post by steve_car »

Pat was a friend of mine. He was a great person. He was always wanting to learn new things, share what he knew (and he knew a lot), and help others. He will be missed.
Steve
65 1500
62 L320
davdav2000
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000

Post by davdav2000 »

Pat was my friend and I miss him already. He always helped me in so many ways. He worked on my roadster, he built raised garden beds for my yard, he even built a custom car ramp in my garage. We went on some roadster drives. We hung out sometimes. He helped so many others, too. He made me laugh. Goodbye, Pat.
David
70 SRL
68 SPL
68 SPL Parts car
3Gs
Roadster Nut

Post by 3Gs »

I met Pat in the late 80s and he started paying me to be his only help installing car stereos, a business he had for many years.

It was Pat that helped grow my skills and helped me grow up in many ways.

It was 2019 I think when Pat's brother died, he was having a very hard summer that year, and we came up with a 'give me some now, the rest later' payment for him to enjoy the '68 2000 that brough his sunshine back and brought him here, finding a welcoming community and many, many new friends.

It was Pat that knew I was thinking about a Datsun restomod and emailed me about StingGrey, when my wife and I were up at a mountain cabin in January. It was Pat that called me few weeks ago, when my wife and I were back at that cabin; I answered, "I can't buy any more cars Pat".

It was Pat that I offered StingGrey, for him to drive the Gig Harbor car show a couple weeks ago, before rain turned him around halfway (he said it was still a great time).

It was Pat that was not returning my calls this week.

It was Pat that made my life better for the last 34 years.

It is Pat that I will miss forever, I love you man!
GeoffM

Post by GeoffM »

Wow, thank you all for sharing your stories about Pat. I never met the man, but it sounds like he will be missed. I'm sorry to all for your loss.
Geoff
1969 SPL-311
jrusso07
Roadsteraholic

Post by jrusso07 »

Rest in peace, Pat. Your contributions to the cause will be missed.

Be well, my fellow Datsun aficionados.
Joe

1969 SRL311 - Solex
1970 SPL311 - U20 mod
1970 SRL311
Nissanman

Post by Nissanman »

:(
Nissanman, just trying to help.
1965 SP310 Engine No. G-93326 Car No. SP310-10817
https://photos.shutterfly.com/album/60141836519
On the road again!
mikeb
Site Supporter

Post by mikeb »

I never met Pat, but greatly enjoyed his contributions to the 311 community. Pat, rest in peace and condolences to your family and friends.
iloveredmeat
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by iloveredmeat »

You've all said everything I could say and would want to say... and more.

Our friendship started because of this forum, and we evolved from talking Roadster, to talking fishing, to talking food, to talking parenting, to talking life, to talking about a salmon/tuna trip up in WA, and him coming to San Diego for dorado fishing... we never got that chance and I am crushed.

I never thought I could become such good friends, so quickly, with someone I never actually met in person.

Like Greg said, he always spoke his mind and was always up for a "fiery conversation". He once told me "I love you because you fight back..." It didn't matter if you disagreed, in the end, he respected everyone's opinion and contribution.

We talked often, and I feel a hole in my world...

He was the first guy to call me out on my shit, and the first guy to have my back.

That is a true friend, and I will remind myself that I was fortunate to have known him.
Peter
––
1967.5 1600 – Second Owner – Under Reconstruction
1970 Honda CT70
1953 Airstream 21' Flying Cloud – Second Owner
311tony423
Roadster Nut

Post by 311tony423 »

I just found out about Unkle Pat's passing on the DROPS group email.

I didn't know Pat as long or as well as some of you but, just enough to know he would appreciate me honoring his memory by leaving a message on the board.

A few years back he joined a convoy of roadsters for a drive north to my place in Bellingham to help me with a few 311 glitches. This was my first meeting with any of the PNW roadster enthusiasts. I appreciated to gesture very much.

Pat kept in touch and urged me to meet up at some of the events. He was very helpful when I needed some technical advise and followed up with more tips afterward. Unfortunately, I won't have the opportunity to go on a road trip with him but it isn't about me. My condolences to his close friends and especially his family. Sorry for your loss.

Tony.
Tony Emley
67.5 SRL311 000423

69 BMW 2002
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Tony, thanks for posting. I think I was part of that group that came to see you, and hope that you're continuing to move forward with the car.

Yes, it was just announced through DROPS that there will be a memorial for Pat on Saturday March 23rd, 11am at the Ivars Salmon House, 401 NE Northlake Way, Seattle. I've been able to swap a shift and will be there.

I think of and miss Pat often. It was nice to see the words people wrote, and the experiences they had. I look forward to learning more about him, though I sure wish it was by hanging out and shooting the shit as planned, and not this way.

Be well all... our time here is temporary. Be sure to fill your heart with good things and forgive the bad. Simply smiling at someone does more for our world than some great "thing" or big gesture... sometimes a smile is all anyone needs... and all you may need.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

He passed on 3 11 ? sad to hear I liked his posts
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs