Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Door and window hardware reassembly

Post by ppeters914 »

1967 1600

Is there an optimum order for reassembling the door (handles, locks, opening mechanism) and window hardware.

Thanks.
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
23yrRebuild

Re: Door and window hardware reassembly

Post by 23yrRebuild »

Here are the notes I made for myself, for removal, and re-installation of all of the door and window hardware, after I finished applying Kilmat inside the doors of my '67...
This sequence worked best for me, on the first door, as I made the notes, and so I repeated the same process on the other door, without much hassle...I hope this helps you, but as everyone should know,....YMMV
Here it is :
Door window removal:

1) remove interior door hardware, handles, and vinyl panels
2) remove outer window squeegee and inner window "fuzzy" strip
3) roll window up
4) remove lower window stop bracket (2) screws
5) roll window down halfway down
6) remove outside screws to rear channel - (2)
7) remove screws to vent window - (3)
8 ) remove vent window
9) remove regulator limiter
10) roll & guide window up until regulator rollers come off front & rear rails
11) lower window reglator arms back down,

IMPORTANT NOTE: don't wind the arms off of the window crank spindle

12) remove lower regulator rail - (2) screws
13) lower regulator back down
14) work window out of door

---------------------------
If window regulator and / or door latch mechanism have been removed and needs to be re-installed:

First, lay door latch mechanism in bottom of door
IMPORTANT NOTE: ! !
The door latch arm will be positioned BETWEEN the vent window POST and OUTER door skin (NOT the inner one)

=======================================================================================================================

If door is completely stripped of all hardware - Outer door handle, door lock, outer stainless trim moulding, door latch mechanism, door window, door window stop bracket, door window regulator, lower regulator rail, rear window channel, and vent window....

RE-INSTALL in this order:
-----------------------
1) Outside trim strip - 5 clips w/ screws
IMPORTANT NOTE: Make sure all clips are completely inserted into moulding and don't slip back out, ESPECIALLY the ones on the end....
2) Door lock w/ keeper
3) Door handle (1 interior LW & 10mm HN, and 1 exterior screw & LW) NOTE: this could be installed last if needed but more difficult
4) Vent windwow in door, but un-fastened
5) Rear window channel vertical, but un-fastened
6) Lay door latch mechanism in bottom of door
NOTE: IMPORTANT ! !...
The door latch arm will be positioned between the vent window post and OUTER door skin (NOT the inner one)
7) Window regulator

To install WINDOW:
----------------------
1) Insert window through top of door, with rear channel in position but un-fastened, and then guide window down the rear, and vent window channels, and align regulator rollers onto the front and rear window roller tracks
2) Once the window tracks are engaged with the regulator rollers, fasten roller limiter, fasten vent window
3) Fasten rear channel
4) Door latch mechanism can now be brought from bottom of the door, into place, engaging the door lock, and fastened
5) Install lower window stop bracket (2) screws
Mike
Mike - '67 Stroker / 5-Speed
DAC21

Post by DAC21 »

23yrRebuild wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:22 pm Here are the notes I made for myself, for removal, and re-installation of all of the door and window hardware, after I finished applying Kilmat inside the doors of my '67...
This sequence worked best for me, on the first door, as I made the notes, and so I repeated the same process on the other door, without much hassle...I hope this helps you, but as everyone should know,....YMMV
Here it is :
Door window removal:

3) roll window up
8 ) remove vent window

If window regulator and / or door latch mechanism have been removed and needs to be re-installed:

The door latch arm will be positioned BETWEEN the vent window POST and OUTER door skin (NOT the inner one)

=======================================================================================================================

If door is completely stripped of all hardware - Outer door handle, door lock, outer stainless trim moulding, door latch mechanism, door window, door window stop bracket, door window regulator, lower regulator rail, rear window channel, and vent window....

-----------------------
IMPORTANT NOTE: Make sure all clips are completely inserted into moulding and don't slip back out, ESPECIALLY the ones on the end....
2) Door lock w/ keeper
3) Door handle (1 interior LW & 10mm HN, and 1 exterior screw & LW) NOTE: this could be installed last if needed but more difficult
The door latch arm will be positioned between the vent window post and OUTER door skin (NOT the inner one)
7) Window regulator

To install WINDOW:
----------------------
1) Insert window through top of door, with rear channel in position but un-fastened, and then guide window down the rear, and vent window channels, and align regulator rollers onto the front and rear window roller tracks
2) Once the window tracks are engaged with the regulator rollers, fasten roller limiter, fasten vent window
3) Fasten rear channel
4) Door latch mechanism can now be brought from bottom of the door, into place, engaging the door lock, and fastened
Mike
23yrRebuild wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:22 pm Here are the notes I made for myself, for removal, and re-installation of all of the door and window hardware, after I finished applying Kilmat inside the doors of my '67...
Here it is :
Door window removal:

3) roll window up
8 ) remove vent window

-----------------------
2) Door lock w/ keeper
7) Window regulator

To install WINDOW:
----------------------
3) Fasten rear channel
Mike

Maybe ping Steve for Tech Wiki inclusion?
1967 1600 in waiting SPL311-09002 / R-28178
2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport Ultimate
iloveredmeat
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by iloveredmeat »

Mike,

That is amazing info!

And great timing for me as I'm staring down reassembly sooner than later... for sure within the next couple of decades. :roll:

Thanks for posting.
Peter
Peter
––
1967.5 1600 – Second Owner – Under Reconstruction
1970 Honda CT70
1953 Airstream 21' Flying Cloud – Second Owner
ADR
Roadster Fanatic

Post by ADR »

Timely for me as well. Thank you Mike. Very clear and the caution points are very good too.
1966 SPL311-1139 KA24DE
Longwood, FL
23yrRebuild

Post by 23yrRebuild »

I hope this process works as well for others, as it seemed to work for me. Keep us informed on how it works out....hopefully my notes were written down, and interpreted correctly. I welcome any corrections, and / or critique.
Mike
Mike - '67 Stroker / 5-Speed
ppeters914

Post by ppeters914 »

Copied it into Word to print a copy to have by the car. Already found and fixed some typos and stuff but, more importantly, is verifying process before submitting for TechWiki inclusion.

Thank you!
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle