Is a spare tire still needed?

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

FergO2k
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Is a spare tire still needed?

Post by FergO2k »

Yep, funny side story is that I had gone on these drive events for 14+ years, and while I was very diligent about packing tools, I never checked to see if the spare had any air in it! Turns out it was flat for all those years, and I just so happened to pull it out to clean in under it, and had aired it up right before this run. Dumb luck.

I tried the El Cheapo 12V compressor from Harbor Fright, and after 18-20 psi it just became a noise maker, so your choice was better than mine!
I have copied (Peter Harrison idea?) the 5 gallon bucket cut-off making it into an under spare tool tray. (glue a 3" PVC pipe down the middle for the tire hold down) Fix-A-Flat is your friend.
Fergus O
69 2L, SUs (driver, not susceptible to polish)
02 Tacoma 4 door (sold at 300k miles!)
2017 Honda Ridgeline (2021 purchase)
Los Alamitos, CA
Curtis
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Curtis »

Apparently I'm not very brave at all or much of a gambler. I don't go out of the neighborhood without a spare. I have a 155R65/14, fits just like the original being just a bit taller of course.

Since I have two cars with the same 175 whitewalls on them I even bought an extra tire to keep on hand since they have to be ordered out of CA. If you have a specialty tire that goes flat and no spare you're likely to have to take whatever the tire shop has if your tire cannot be repaired.

I'm also not interested in any long road trips either so trunk space doesn't matter to me. I would put luggage on the package shelf under the tonneau.

Perhaps I'll add fix a flat so I can get off the road if need be. Does it affect the ability to later repair the tire?
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
FergO2k

Post by FergO2k »

Nope, fix-a-flat has no detrimental effect on the tire, they just tell you to remind/warn the tire tech when he is dismounting, as you don't want to have that stuff splash in his eyes. (the extra in there stays liquid) As you can see from the pic, mine was not a candidate for fix-a-flat, but that is the extreme case.
My new neighbor is a contractor, so his guys seem to be depositing nails and bolts in the gutter on a regular basis. I bought my own tire plug kit off Amazon, and it is now going to be part of my traveling tool kit.
Fergus O
Los Alamitos, CA
rwmann
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by rwmann »

I have a BF Goodrich G78-14 space-saver spare on a steel rim and CO2 bottle that I have thankfully -- knock on wood -- never had to use.

In the bad old days, Boston to/from Mosport, Watkins Glen, St. Jovite, and numerous closer-in tracks in the northeast, then as a station car and daily driver in New York, Connecticut, and hot, hot, hot Texas.
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic

Post by Habitat.pat »

Fergus, I didn't see anyone post about the 5 gallon bucket! I had one under my spare back in the early 90's that held all my small spare parts. Instead of gluing a 3" PVC in the center, I added a roll of duct tape with about 1/2" of tape left & cut the hole in the bottom of the bucket to match the ID of the tape core. The sticky edge on the tape roll stuck nicely to the bucket. I just bought a new bucket to put under my spare if I decide to take one but will add it for sure when I get back & trunk space isn't at a premium.

Peace, Pat
67.5 SPL311 Stroker Restomod
Pat Horne, Near Austin, TX
We support Habitat for Humanity
A hand UP, not a hand OUT
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

Your going on a August, 5000 mile trip , in triple digit heat @76 , in a 50 +yr , lite car convertible.
By yourself ?
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic

Post by Habitat.pat »

Thanks for the concern & question of my sanity!

Yes. Once I get out of Texas the heat will be lower since I’m heading into Colorado, Utah & then to the west coast. I will be will be using sun blocking clothing. I have faith in the car since it has been fully gone through for the last 3 years & currently have about 2000 miles on it since the rebuild. My age, even though it’s 76 is of no real concern because I’m active & spend a lot of time outdoors working.

If I feel that it is too much I can always modify or end the trip.

Peace, Pat
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

My favorite thing to have on a hot trip is a small water bottle with a mister, like one used for misting indoor plants... instantaneous cooling, easily controlled, feels great!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
FergO2k

Post by FergO2k »

Same here. They have them for road cyclists, and all you have is a flex tube with a twist handle.
I found them at Costco once, called a Misty Mate. Hand pump it up, and the mist used so little water that it lasted a LONG time.
Fergus O
Los Alamitos, CA
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

This is a Datsun roadster sports car, one of the funnest cars in the world. Now I don't know if I have a spare tire or not. Do you feel lucky punk, well do you?

Seems to me someone saw a roadster in that movie.

Yes! https://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_336399-Da ... -1968.html
66 stroker, almost done.
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

"A car's got to know it's limitations..."
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

2 weeks ago gas was $ 3.15 here KC
Today it's $3.79 maybe a 1000 miles trip
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
fish
Site Supporter

Post by fish »

Alvin wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:46 pm
Habitat.pat wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:14 pm I’m getting ready for a 5000 mile road trip & am trying to decide whether I should take a spare or not.
Suggestions/opinions?

Peace, Pat
So much has changed in the last 3 decades with roadside service and connectivity...I'd skip the spare if the trunk space is needed.

I'm reminded of Scott Fisher's 37,000-mile road trip in his '67 roadster...zero flat tires!

And I still haven't had a flat, even after a few not-quite-as-lengthy trips (5k, 7k, 12k or so).

I travel with that Slime tire repair kit with the repair tools, fix-a-flat can, and compressor in it; fits right in the wheel well in the trunk. I can't vouch for it as I've never had to use it yet. :-)

--Scott
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

We just bought two 2023 Hyundai Sonata hybrid. Comes with no spare tire and a tire care kit. What a joke, supposedly to save weight.

Gee my tire just shredded in the middle of nowhere with no cell service. I'll just use the kit to magically rebuild the tire. 2022 had spares. I will be adding spares to both.
66 stroker, almost done.
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic

Post by Habitat.pat »

Bummer, Curtis. For a new vehicle I’d assume that the tire was defective from the factory. Either that or they didn’t put summer air in it.

In 61 years driving I’ve only had one tire come apart. That was on about 1975. The tread came off but it still held air. Firestone had a problem with a particular tire throwing its tread. 721?

If there is room for a spare then I’m in favor of adding one.

Peace, Pat