General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Steve_69
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Visor Screw Brackets

Post by Steve_69 »

On my 68, several of the screws for the sun visors and mirror broke off. Those brackets that the screws go into, float inside the windshield frame. I think I have two choices. Attempt to drill them out, which will be very difficult because the brackets float and the screws did not break off cleanly, or use the Dremel to cut them out, make repairs and weld everything back. I do not know the size of the brackets and do not want to cut any more than I have too for fear of weakening the windshield frame. Any suggestions? Anyone know the size of those brackets? Thanks for any advice or suggestions.
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Re: Visor Screw Brackets

Post by redroadster »

Bolt thread ,right ? You've soaked with rust penetrant? That dollar tree rust penetrant foams up ,It should loosen it up unless it was jammed in with the bracket off small vice grips to grip
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
Nissanman
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Nissanman »

If they are indeed stuck in there, have an electric welder touch the end of the thread with some welding wire. The wire should stick to the broken screw and the short burst of heat should assist in breaking the threads free. I did similar on all the broken fasteners on my car but I used a sacrificial rod and gas welder to join onto the remains of the fastener. Fiddly but effective.
Nissanman, just trying to help.
1965 SP310 Engine No. G-93326 Car No. SP310-10817
https://photos.shutterfly.com/album/60141836519
On the road again!
Steve_69
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Steve_69 »

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I could put a weld bead on the screw pieces and see if that will free them. There is not much to get hold of, so I may need to try to tack a small piece to it. If it does not work, then I guess I will cut into the windshield frame to remove and repair the brackets and weld it back. I have 6 of them broken off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

It may be easier to align the braket ,drill a 1/8 " hole ajacent and pop rivet it , I have tough long rivets
As its going to be a bear
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
Steve_69
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Steve_69 »

Thanks. Ya know, affter thinking about this a bit, these may be for the latches for the roof. After nearly 3 years from taking it apart, my memory leaves me.
Steve_69
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Steve_69 »

The final call on this. I was able to drill out and tap the rear view mirror broken off screws. However, the brackets for mounting the visors pieces, I was not so lucky. After several failed attempts to remove the screw bits (including welding nuts on), I ended up cutting the inside of the windshield frame and pealing it back to remove the internal brackets. Once removed, I wire brushed them, heated the brackets with a torch, hit them with WD40 and used vise-grips to get the broken pieces out. I painted the brackets, treated the inside of the frame with Ospho, reinstalled the brackets and welded it back together. Not fun, but problem solved. Thanks for all of the suggestions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.