5 speed

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

deliver

5 speed

Post by deliver »

I have a 66 roadster looking to put a 5 speed behind it and was wondering if there is a drop in model maybe from a different body style of datsun. I have read to the point of being confused. I see 210 trans will drop into midgets & sprites, did not know if there is a drop in 5 speed for roadsters. Thanks for any guidance.
reblues
Site Supporter

Post by reblues »

Take a look at the writeup on this site. Under Tech Info, Drivetrain, there is a section that tells you what you need. The 5 speed from the 2000 will drop in with the use of the 2000 backing plate, tranny mount, and driveshaft.
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE: Speed Replacements

Post by S Allen »

There are not really in true replacement drop-in trannys for the 5 speed. I have heard an early Z 5 speed will fit but you need to swap out the bell housing for the roadster bell housing--and there could be other things as well. Another fellow is fitting a 5 speed out of a Nissan truck but that is by no means a bolt-up and go proposition either. The parts to rebuild a 5 speed are still readily available. The bearings can be purchased off the shelf at any good bearing supplier. The roadster manual leaves too much to the imagination as far as tear down and rebuilding. Get yourself a 70-78 Haynes Z car manual which goes into a lot more detail on the whole operation. My brother just rebuilt a 5 speed with no problems at all.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Conner
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Conner »

Good advice--I am going to be doing this soon and will definitely buy the Haynes Z manual.
Could you convince your bro to post here and list all the parts he bought to do the job? That would be a helpful starting point for me.
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
S Allen
Site Admin

RE:5 Speed

Post by S Allen »

Actually that tip about the Z manual came from Dan at Ralleye. He told my brother about it and sure enough he was correct. My brother is a member he just likes lurking more than anything. I am sure I can get him to provide some free advice. 8)

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Conner
Roadsteraholic

Post by Conner »

That would be really appreciated. As I do it myself I will document it on my webpage, but I've found it better to get some help from someone with experience sometimes before digging in. It helps me avoid silly mistakes.
This is especially the case on things that there are only one of like a transmission. Since there are two of almost everything on the car (front suspension, rear suspension, brakes, headlights, doors, etc.) I can fumble my way through the first side and then take pictures of the second one, which goes more smoothly, and it looks like I actually know what I'm doing by then.
I just located the manual on Craigslist in my town--$5.
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
deliver

Post by deliver »

Well it sounds like I need to find a roadster 5-speed and necessary parts. I have two 4 speeds both in need of work. Hate to rebuild a 4 speed when I could do a 5 speed. My problem is being on the east coast. I don't know anyone around here who toys with these cars. Any ideas on comming up with a five speed here in NC or nearby? I found a listing in hemmings motor of a guy in strasburg VA who buying parts will try him soon. Wish I could find a doner car with 5 speed it seems I also have a rear in problem.
Conner
Roadsteraholic

Post by Conner »

Try Craig Halstead. He is in Virginia and has a lot of roadsters and parts on hand at any point in time. I think he is a member of this forum.
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

The guy in Strasburg is Craig. He surely has a tranny. I have a rear end - Craig would have several though, so if you are going up there, get one from him!
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
deliver

Post by deliver »

Thanks, It's good that Craig is known.
ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by ppeters914 »

I just discovered that Craig is not a member of this list. Maybe he's on dialup.

Anyways, I just put his latest pile-o-stuff (from 1/26 roadster mailing list) in the For Sale Classifieds. No 5-speeds, but, like El Sid mentioned, contact Craig and ask.
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
68datroad

5 Speed

Post by 68datroad »

Andy, I ordered the bearing numbers that are posted on the site. Worked just fine and cost me 105.00 bucks. As far as rebuilding wasn't a big deal but alot of small parts. Be careful of the balls that hold speedo gear,front thrust washer behind second gear and rear behind 5th gear. The only problem I had was I overtightened rear nut(duh) :roll: on mainshaft,didn't read book. Be sure and torque to 20 ft lbs per book. I just tightened mine to take out the slack. Just enough to let mainshaft freewheel. I only replaced 2nd and 3rd synchro rings(brake bands) and 1st 2nd shift collar. Teeth were worn abit. Mine would grind going into 2nd and couldn't downshift without double clutch. I ordered a gasket kit from Schulderm. Synchros and collar came from Dann. The other thing I did was replace speedo pinion gear. Went from a 18 to 20 toth due to my speedo being 10mph fast. The pinion holder is eccenteric to be able to adjust lash on speedo gear. I had to cut new hold down groove in pinion holder. Just got motor and trans back in this weekend and it is Iowa(burr)so haven't got to road test yet. Has to at least hit 40 before I will attempt. Pretty bad when you have to wear snowmobile suit to drive the roadster. Any help I can give feel free to ask. I have sucked alot of good info off this site and need to give some back. :lol:
Conner
Roadsteraholic

Post by Conner »

Thanks Dave. All of that is helpful.
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
68datroad

5 speed

Post by 68datroad »

No problem Andy,Any more questions feel free to ask.A fluke day yesterday in Iowa(55 degrees)Winter Storm Watch today)took her out after trans rebuild.Shifts like a dream.No grind and nice and tight.Speedo is even accurate.Can't wait for Atlanta Road trip with Brother Steve and anyone else who's going from the Midwest.
clunker
Roadster Nut

Post by clunker »

So this information is great I am just wondering what pullers or other tools I need to do the rebuild. I haven't bought the Haynes Z manual yet so if this info is in there then you can just tell me to me to do some reading.
Thanks for you help.
Steve Moore
1966 1600 (swapping a U20 in)
---------------------------------------------------
Nope, its supposed to make that noise.