General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Windshield washer squirter o-ring - low windshield

Post by Habitat.pat »

Has anyone found a source for the o-ring/seals in the windshield squirters between the body & the nozzle? I had mine re-chromed & the old pieces disintegrated. I have a pair of squirters from Moss Motors that I could put in but they use smaller hose but I’d rather stick with the original ones.

Peace, Pat
67.5 SPL311 Stroker Restomod
Pat Horne, Near Austin, TX
We support Habitat for Humanity
A hand UP, not a hand OUT
DAC21
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Windshield washer squirter o-ring - low windshield

Post by DAC21 »

Pat,

PM me your address. I have both hard and soft nylon washers / orings that fit. I just don't know how well they seal. If you want to play around with them then let me know how they perform then maybe we can get something in the wiki for others in need.

Dennis
1967 1600 in waiting SPL311-09002 / R-28178
2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport Ultimate
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Pat, you just need a pair of 1/4" nylon washers from the hardware store. There is no concern about "sealing" since they install into the cowl which is wide open to the rain anyway. You just need something to protect the paint. Simple.
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
DAC21

Post by DAC21 »

JT68 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:30 pm Pat, you just need a pair of 1/4" nylon washers from the hardware store. There is no concern about "sealing" since they install into the cowl which is wide open to the rain anyway. You just need something to protect the paint. Simple.

JT, here is a pic of the seal I interpreted that Pat needs. If it doesn't seal, it doesn't squirt very well. Pat will need to confirm if that is what he is looking for. Are you referring to the black rubber washer(s) also showing in my pic?
P1050334b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Yes, I was referring to the black body “gasket” since he said “between the body and nozzle”. Right, that little seal is part of the squirter itself and should seal the fluid path👍.
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
DAC21

Post by DAC21 »

JT68 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:07 am Yes, I was referring to the black body “gasket” since he said “between the body and nozzle”. Right, that little seal is part of the squirter itself and should seal the fluid path👍.
JT,

While we are on the subject. Do you know if it is the same size / pitch on the tightening nut for both the early and late nozzles? I think 1967.5 washer nozzles are a whole different funky 2 piece style. But maybe still the same nut?
nozzleP1050334b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
iloveredmeat
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by iloveredmeat »

DAC21 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 1:12 pm
JT68 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:07 am Yes, I was referring to the black body “gasket” since he said “between the body and nozzle”. Right, that little seal is part of the squirter itself and should seal the fluid path👍.
JT,

While we are on the subject. Do you know if it is the same size / pitch on the tightening nut for both the early and late nozzles? I think 1967.5 washer nozzles are a whole different funky 2 piece style. But maybe still the same nut?

nozzleP1050334b.jpg

Hey Dennis,

I also read Pat's request as needing the black nylon washer. And I did as JT has said - found them at Ace Hardware. They are a very close match, if not exact.

IMG_0912.jpeg

But, I've had fits trying to find the teeny little internal washers. On my 67.5s there are two teeny ones, both on the squirter assembly - which is two parts, the screw post, and the directional bezel. One washer is on the screw post in between the 'body' of the nozzle and the directional bezel. The other washer is inside the directional bezel under the head of the screw post. I hope that makes sense.

Wiper-Nozzles.jpg
IMG_0911.jpeg

Do you have a source for the little teeny washers that you show in the photo (they look clear)?

I have tried little black o-rings on my 67.5 and they do fit circumferance-wise, but they are too thick, so then the screw+bezel doesn't thread into the nozzle body. You can kinda see the difference in thickness. OEM on the left, new o-ring on the right. Just a tad too thick.

IMG_0913.jpg

As for thread and pitch between 67.5 and 68+ - they're a match!

IMG-0915.jpg

I hope that helps.
Thanks,
pm
Peter
––
1967.5 1600 – Second Owner – Under Reconstruction
1970 Honda CT70
1953 Airstream 21' Flying Cloud – Second Owner
DAC21

Post by DAC21 »

iloveredmeat wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:46 pm
DAC21 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 1:12 pm
JT,

nozzleP1050334b.jpg

Hey Dennis,

I also read Pat's request as needing the black nylon washer. And I did as JT has said - found them at Ace Hardware. They are a very close match, if not exact.

IMG_0912.jpeg

But, I've had fits trying to find the teeny little internal washers. On my 67.5s there are two teeny ones, both on the squirter assembly - which is two parts, the screw post, and the directional bezel. One washer is on the screw post in between the 'body' of the nozzle and the directional bezel. The other washer is inside the directional bezel under the head of the screw post. I hope that makes sense.

Wiper-Nozzles.jpg

IMG_0911.jpeg

Do you have a source for the little teeny washers that you show in the photo (they look clear)?

I have tried little black o-rings on my 67.5 and they do fit circumferance-wise, but they are too thick, so then the screw+bezel doesn't thread into the nozzle body. You can kinda see the difference in thickness. OEM on the left, new o-ring on the right. Just a tad too thick.

IMG_0913.jpg

As for thread and pitch between 67.5 and 68+ - they're a match!

IMG-0915.jpg

I hope that helps.
Thanks,
pm
Peter,

I just dropped into the mail a selection of o rings. I don't think the hard nylon ones I have sent will work as they probably won't compress to form a seal. Maybe they will have an application somewhere else on the car. The clear flexible ones may well do the trick. I just don't know exactly what type of material they are to know the longevity. If anything works for you and you need more of them I'll send along the eBay order info. You should have them by Wed. / Thur.

Dennis
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic

Post by Habitat.pat »

English is such an imperfect language! Yes, I meant the body of the Squirter to the nozzle! Thanks for all the replies. I’ll dm my address.

Peace, Pat
iloveredmeat

Post by iloveredmeat »

DAC21 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:25 pm Peter,

I just dropped into the mail a selection of o rings. I don't think the hard nylon ones I have sent will work as they probably won't compress to form a seal. Maybe they will have an application somewhere else on the car. The clear flexible ones may well do the trick. I just don't know exactly what type of material they are to know the longevity. If anything works for you and you need more of them I'll send along the eBay order info. You should have them by Wed. / Thur.

Dennis
Thanks Dennis!

I really appreciate it.

I'll post the results.

PM
Peter
––
1970 Honda CT70
iloveredmeat

Post by iloveredmeat »

iloveredmeat wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 6:06 pm

Dennis
Thanks Dennis!

I really appreciate it.

I'll post the results.

PM
Hi Dennis, Got 'em!

Thanks for sending them.

So, the smaller of the clear ones works perfectly for my 67.5 nozzles! I believe they're 7mm OD by 4mm ID.

And since the material is so much softer than the brittle 56 year old washers I have, I reckon they'll work great. The fact that they are clear rather than black is of zero concern, as they are completely hidden when installed. So thank you thank you! Perfect.

For my later nozzles (I'm not sure what year 68? -- the one on the right), the smallest white washer (6mm OD) was still not small enough.

nozzles.jpg

So, that's what I know.

Thanks again, you're a hero!
Peter
Peter
––
1970 Honda CT70
DAC21

Post by DAC21 »

iloveredmeat wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:19 pm
iloveredmeat wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 6:06 pm

Dennis
Thanks Dennis!

I really appreciate it.

I'll post the results.

PM
Hi Dennis, Got 'em!

Thanks for sending them.

So, the smaller of the clear ones works perfectly for my 67.5 nozzles! I believe they're 7mm OD by 4mm ID.

And since the material is so much softer than the brittle 56 year old washers I have, I reckon they'll work great. The fact that they are clear rather than black is of zero concern, as they are completely hidden when installed. So thank you thank you! Perfect.

For my later nozzles (I'm not sure what year 68? -- the one on the right), the smallest white washer (6mm OD) was still not small enough.

nozzles.jpg

So, that's what I know.

Thanks again, you're a hero!
Peter
Peter,

I just found this guy on eBay. He has a wide selection of sizes in Buna -70 rubber that probably is a better material than the PVC (clear washers I sent) He has 4mmx7mmx1.5mm which would be good for the 1967.5 and my early 1967. See what other sizes he has for the 1968

https://www.ebay.com/str/swint101?_trks ... 3561.l2563

Dennis
iloveredmeat

Post by iloveredmeat »

DAC21 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:36 pm
Peter,

I just found this guy on eBay. He has a wide selection of sizes in Buna -70 rubber that probably is a better material than the PVC (clear washers I sent) He has 4mmx7mmx1.5mm which would be good for the 1967.5 and my early 1967. See what other sizes he has for the 1968

https://www.ebay.com/str/swint101?_trks ... 3561.l2563

Dennis
Thanks a ton Dennis.
Peter
––
1970 Honda CT70
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic

Post by Habitat.pat »

Thanks Peter for sending the washers. Something happened on my end, I got the envelope out of the mailbox but couldn't find it a day later. Looked all over. That was Saturday. Today I found the envelope in the mailbox again! It must have gotten out of the car somewhere & was found by someone who put it back in my mailbox!

Anyway, back to the washers. I must have something other than the correct squirters as the washers were much too big, even the small ones. I measured the size of the space where they are to fit between the screw & the squirter body & measured 3mm ID & 5mm OD. No idea what they are from. Tomorrow I'll check with a small engine shop in town to see if they have any fuel line that has those dimensions, then I'll see if I can slice it off to be about 1mm thick.

If that doesn't work I can either use a bit of clear silicone in place of the washers or install the MGB squirters that I got from Moss. The hose is smaller but I can get a reducer that will adapt everything.

Thanks again for sending the washers.

Peace, Pat
david premo
Model: 2000

Post by david premo »

Just go to the plumbing supply store and they usually have a box of assorted o-rings of endless sizes.