Discuss engine swap details here!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

mschel
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Transmission Swap

Post by mschel »

Hi, I have been lurking on here for a while reading off and on. I put an introduction in the new members board earlier today since I am finally getting a 1969 1600. I had one a long time ago and always missed it.

Anyway, I was looking for a solid one with no motor/trans so I can do a swap for modern powerplant.

Some ideas:
Nissan 90s SR KA etc motor and trans and seen these done before

Ford 4/6 cylinder motor and trans since I am very used to them mainly. I did see a t5/turbo 2.3 conversion.

Leaf EV. Have read the threads and many others on it. Have done some smaller electric conversions so its a stretch but familiar with lithium pack builds/bussbars, charging etc. Looked at the bellhousing plate adapters already from Brat and others which look like they should work on L series transmissions and the 240sx?. I already actually have a leaf motor from another project.

I have done many motor swaps into 60s/90s fords over the years but this will be the first in this platform.

My ideal criteria is that whatever I start collecting parts for could also be used in a 260z potentially if this one changes directions.

Mainly from the transmission standpoint, so far I have not seen any bolt in conversions but would be interested to hear about any off the shelf conversion crossmembers.

Any comments which would be easier swap into this car I could use on a 260z that needs a new clutch and possibly transmission as well if this one changes direction:

240sx or similar, advantage of it takes modern nissan motor and leaf motor
Z 5 speed into 1600
Ford T5
Others?

As with any new project my head is swimming with ideas so am looking for any quick comments/opinions to help steer me.

I can build crossmembers/mounts so not that worried about that part if needed but bolt in is always nice. Ideally don't want to do anything other than minor trimming to fit.

Thanks.
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Re: Transmission Swap

Post by fj20spl311 »

FORGET the might use on a 260Z. They are too different except I have heard of SR20 turbo swaps into to that Z.
There are no other transmission Swaps beside the roadster 4 or 5 speeds that are bolt in,
If you looking for minor trimming, I think the KA24E/DE are your best bet.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
mschel
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mschel »

Thanks for the info. Too bad on easy interchange, will keep doing the research.
fj20spl311 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 1:03 pm FORGET the might use on a 260Z. They are too different except I have heard of SR20 turbo swaps into to that Z.
There are no other transmission Swaps beside the roadster 4 or 5 speeds that are bolt in,
If you looking for minor trimming, I think the KA24E/DE are your best bet.
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

Maryland vehicle inspection s may reject it on emmissions
Also insurance , they usually as if any modifications have been made. ,mine has a place I sign on that. They do not allow this different eng Trans swap
Last edited by redroadster on Fri May 26, 2023 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
Daryl Smith
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Daryl Smith »

Irrelephant
Last edited by Daryl Smith on Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
mschel
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mschel »

Luckily 70s and back exempted. Its funny in Maryland you can literally pay for tag title tax and put it on the road that day no inspection needed.
redroadster wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:57 pm Maryland vehicle inspection s may reject it on emmissions
mschel
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mschel »

Wow I can't imagine the 302 in there, that would be insane!

For electric, battery technology is definitely the limiting factor for sure. Cost, range, and weight/space still a big problem.

That is quite a list, will be doing a lot of reading for sure.

Thanks for the info.
Daryl Smith wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:34 am mschel,
I think you'll find that the roadster engine bay is much tighter than the Z.
A search on here will show you many different swaps ...Ford 302 V8, GM 3.4 V6, Ford SOHC 2.3, GM Ecotec, SR20 (kits available?), KA24E and DE, 240Z L24, Nissan L16/18/20B, Mazda Miata 1.6/1.8, Ford DOHC Duratec 2.3(?), GM LS V8, Honda K24,....Most popular and documented would probably be the SR20, followed by the KA24....
The Honda K24 is a relative newcomer, but, lots of parts available to upgrade it to well above 200 hp.
Electric would be great, tho I would be concerned about range still....looks like there may be some improvements coming in battery tech that could change that.....maybe....radial or axial motor?
What are your goals for the build?
mschel
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mschel »

Just got some new info.. The previous owner said it had an L18 with a 280zx 5spd transmission in there before which is interesting.

I don't know anything about the L18 motors.
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

The L4 motors fit with trimming of the frame where the Oil Pump touches the frame (right Front) if I recall correctly.
The L20s are a little tall and best if you get the SSS dual SU setup over the standard down draft carb.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
Pjackb
Roadsteraholic

Post by Pjackb »

A few things to think about
  • Most of the "modern" powerplant you mention are at least 30y old and unless you do a rebuild will not be much more reliable on a weekend car like a roadster
  • The engine bay real estate is very limited and other than the original engines there are no "bolt in" options unfortunately
  • even with doing all the work yourself be prepared to spend 2x to 3x initial plans
With that out of the way and knowing the costs associated with a U20 and the fact it had an L18 and ZX tranny in there here's a few options I would consider if it was me
  1. Get an L20B , they're cheap ,reliable and have decent power stock, you'll need to slot the mounts from the L18 about 10mm but it will fit and it use a 280ZX 5sp which can be reused in the 260Z
  2. build a L/Z 2.3 big bore L20b, these are easy and not too expensive to build with plenty of how to on the web , with the right cam and SUs from a 240Z they will do 160-190hp all day
  3. If EFi is what you want KA24 is probably the "easiest" but they are getting more expensive and is definitely not a bolt on
  4. Since you're a Ford guy I would seriously consider a Duratec/MZR 2.5 conversion engine. these are ready to go low hours RWD engines with 170hp/175lbs stock that you can buy ready to go for 1800$ they're made for the Miata NC and require a Miata tranny but fit very nicely in the roadster. Add a cam and intake with the inherently more flowing exhaust and your pushing way past 200hp
Here are some visuals
This is my freshly rebuild big bore L/Z 2.3 engine for my 510 , complete cost was less than half that of my stockish U20 rebuild and a quarter of what a swap would be :lol:

Here's what an L20b or L/Z looks like in a roadster , this is a L/Z 2.2 with EFI one of my friend's car

And here are some pictures of an MZR 2.0L being installed in a roadster , (the 2.5 is same size)
mzr3.jpg
mzr2.jpg
mzr1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mschel
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mschel »

Thanks, great info, much appreciated details.

fj20spl311 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:53 pm The L4 motors fit with trimming of the frame where the Oil Pump touches the frame (right Front) if I recall correctly.
The L20s are a little tall and best if you get the SSS dual SU setup over the standard down draft carb.
mschel
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mschel »

That's funny you are right on "modern". I still have in my head classic/vintage is pre 70s (ish) but its been long enough that 90s cars are being considered as classics.

More great info, need to review again all the info/pictures again. What would the approximate cost to get l20b motor/trans and build 190hp range out of it? I can do all the work except the machine stuff required items. Anything to look out for (better years etc)?

I have heard of the duratecs but not sure what RWD platforms they had with them. Will do some reading on that option. I remember the 2.3l being in a lot in 80s/90a. BTW, I did see a roadster with an SVO 2.3l on ebay a few years ago.

These things always snowball from budget build to $$$$ for me in past builds so thinking stockish (cam, maybe light port on heads, headers) motor with 200hp is probably my sweet spot in such a light car.

Thanks for all the info!

Pjackb wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:28 pm A few things to think about
  • Most of the "modern" powerplant you mention are at least 30y old and unless you do a rebuild will not be much more reliable on a weekend car like a roadster
  • The engine bay real estate is very limited and other than the original engines there are no "bolt in" options unfortunately
  • even with doing all the work yourself be prepared to spend 2x to 3x initial plans
With that out of the way and knowing the costs associated with a U20 and the fact it had an L18 and ZX tranny in there here's a few options I would consider if it was me
  1. Get an L20B , they're cheap ,reliable and have decent power stock, you'll need to slot the mounts from the L18 about 10mm but it will fit and it use a 280ZX 5sp which can be reused in the 260Z
  2. build a L/Z 2.3 big bore L20b, these are easy and not too expensive to build with plenty of how to on the web , with the right cam and SUs from a 240Z they will do 160-190hp all day
  3. If EFi is what you want KA24 is probably the "easiest" but they are getting more expensive and is definitely not a bolt on
  4. Since you're a Ford guy I would seriously consider a Duratec/MZR 2.5 conversion engine. these are ready to go low hours RWD engines with 170hp/175lbs stock that you can buy ready to go for 1800$ they're made for the Miata NC and require a Miata tranny but fit very nicely in the roadster. Add a cam and intake with the inherently more flowing exhaust and your pushing way past 200hp
Here are some visuals
This is my freshly rebuild big bore L/Z 2.3 engine for my 510 , complete cost was less than half that of my stockish U20 rebuild and a quarter of what a swap would be :lol:

Here's what an L20b or L/Z looks like in a roadster , this is a L/Z 2.2 with EFI one of my friend's car

And here are some pictures of an MZR 2.0L being installed in a roadster , (the 2.5 is same size)
mzr3.jpg
mzr2.jpg
mzr1.jpg
CSP311
Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by CSP311 »

Miata tranny but fit very nicely in the roadster.
Does the Miata tranny require chassis/body modification to fit, or does very nicely mean no mods? I presuem they is different trannys, is there a particular model that fits better?
1965 Nissan Silvia (CSP311) for total restoration
1978 260Z finally on the road (Rebello 3.2L)
Pjackb
Roadsteraholic

Post by Pjackb »

mschel wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:54 pm
More great info, need to review again all the info/pictures again. What would the approximate cost to get l20b motor/trans and build 190hp range out of it? I can do all the work except the machine stuff required items. Anything to look out for (better years etc)?
first just to be sure we're talking bhp at the cranck , a 190hp engine will be expensive 150-160bhp is more realistic and with all the torque you wont need more ;) . mine is about 180bhp and I can light up tires easily with an automatic , sticky wide tires a 3.54 rear end

read this to get more info on the options
https://ratsun.net/topic/996-jason-grey-info/
mschel wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:54 pm
I have heard of the duratecs but not sure what RWD platforms they had with them. Will do some reading on that option. I remember the 2.3l being in a lot in 80s/90a. BTW, I did see a roadster with an SVO 2.3l on ebay a few years ago.
No RWD Duratecs in North America and the 2.3 is a real P.O.S , you want the conversion version which is a Fusion 2.5 converted to be used in a Miata
link to purchase
https://dynotronicstuning.3dcartstores. ... _p_78.html
Pjackb
Roadsteraholic

Post by Pjackb »

CSP311 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:36 am
Does the Miata tranny require chassis/body modification to fit, or does very nicely mean no mods? I presuem they is different trannys, is there a particular model that fits better?
The 5 speed from a NB or NC fits well with no body modification and lines up well with the hole in the body , the 6 speed is much wider and requires body mods