Roadster vs Miata

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

66Roadster
Roadster Fanatic

Roadster vs Miata

Post by 66Roadster »

I know this is an old topic, and just to get the heat off Sid for bringing up the VW/Chevy discussion:)

I have finished the Miata I received from my Mom's estate. It is the one that sat in the FL sand for 8 years. I have replace every system in the car except drive train - only had 58K miles. So, I have been using it as a daily driver for a couple of weeks - can't argue over 30+ MPG.

I will agree with others - the Roadster is so much more fun to drive. The Miata seems it has no sole or something. Kind of like driving a rear drive econo box that the top comes off. I put 15's on it so it handles well, but shakes like no tomorrow. I call it the "flexi flier". The Miata has more shoulder room, but the Roadster has more livable room and more comfortable to drive. I feel disappointed - something is missing with the Miata???. I spent a lot of time and money on this Miata in memory of Mom so I will keep it. I do find myself driving the Jeep Wangler more then the Miata (Roadster is down, fabbing turbo parts).

On Sid's VW/starter post, someone mentioned "car that are simpler are more fun". I totally agree and maybe the reason I like the Jeep and Roadster. For a new vehicle I think the Jeep is about as simple as they get - and a hoot to drive down creeks in.

Have a great day everyone!

Phil
SEROC
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

I was having a discussion with a forum member via IM last night and I said the same thing. Rather than calling it a soul, I said that the Roadsters speak to me. That is what prompted me to post the thread about the drives.

I have driven some unusual cars and some fast cars. Roadsters call to me though - not many others do. Certainly nothing as affordable as they are. My wife's daily driver (Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited) is a rather low production "special" that some folks lust after. It is quick, but it is just a box with a big engine. Fast cars can be fun, but it is not all about blinding speed with a Roadster.

Funny thing is, before I got my first Roadster, I didn't like anything Japanese. Interesting how things change...
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
Roadsterx
Roadster Nut

Post by Roadsterx »

I am kind of like Sid. Before I bought my first Roadster, a $500 rusted out
car , I was an American car fan. I spent 6 months restoring the car, and added two mor eto my collection. I took that car to Solvang in 94' , and was
excited to see so many roadsters all in one place. I also drove that car over
1800 miles in two days in late fall with no top all the way to Idaho. It was a blast to drive. I ended up parting it out when I needed money pretty bad.
That car was a blast to drive . You could do repairs if needed with a few tools and it had character.

I have since bought another Roadster this one is an E Production Road Race car. I autocrossed two different Miatas and a Toyota MR2 Spyder last year, and non came even close to the fun factor of the the EP Roadster I have now.
Even though the car is set up for road racing it was a blast to drive at autocrosses.

I am looking forward to getting another street Roaster to go along with the race car :)

Mike
66Roadster
Roadster Fanatic

Post by 66Roadster »

Good to see I am not the only one - and you guys started out your love for cars in something other then a Roadster. A '68 1600 was the first car I bought 2 weeks after my 15th birthday. I figured the Roadster was too much in my blood. As usual - I don't think the Roadster gets enough credit. If the Miata guys got to know the car, they would be one hot item.

One good thing about the Miata - it is getting me motivated on getting the turbo motor done and Roadster back on the road!

That Roadster grin is something no other car can replace.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
shifty
Roadster Enthusiast

Post by shifty »

I have both - a '93 Miata is my daily driver that I've put 100,000 miles on. I don't agree that it has no soul. It's just a very willing companion, no fuss - just does exactly what you ask of it.

Take one to an auto-x or track day and find out just what a great car the Miata can be.

I would look into the famous Miata 65mph shimmy - they are very sensitve to wheel balance and alignment. Make sure you get really good tires.

I put a Racing Beat bar that ties together the back of the front A-arms. Made a huge difference in cowl shake. I also added a strut tower bar (though, technically there are no struts) and that helped as well. Racing Beat tubular anti-sway bars front and rear eliminated almost all body roll. Lowering the car an inch with springs and KYB adjustable shocks helped as well.

If your car doesn't have a LSD - check into the Torsen LSDs from a '94 - '97.

There is a reason that there have been more Miatas sold than MGBs!
Leigh Brooks

http://www.shiftco.com - my blog about cars (and stuff)
Latest post: http://www.shiftco.com/radios/the-test-mule/

67.5 SRL-00139 sleeping
67.5 SPL-11481 suspended animation
67.5 SPL-12961 snoring
67.5 SPL-13622 - H20 PWR!
Roadsterx
Roadster Nut

Post by Roadsterx »

Leigh,
You are right about the Miata. The thing I didn't like about it was you didn't have to be a driver to run it fast. It is a very hard car to get in trouble with,
although, I have spun one on turn in with just a tad to much trail braking :) The Roadster you really have to drive. I seriously looked at Miata's before buying another Roadster, but with over 700,000 sold you see them everywhere. Besides don't forget they are classified as a chick car ;)

Mike
gmagana

Post by gmagana »

I just have to agree with Sid, I also own a 99 Miata, but the bottom line is I just like my Roadster so much more, It accelerates so much better than the Miata!!, The Miata does get 30 mpg thats a plus, has a great turning radius, has good part availability, A/C etc... But it still is just a commuter car. I would rather drive the roadster any day even though it gets 20 to 25 mpg, needs to be driven unlike the Miata and like all of you others suffers from parts sources. With the Miata. I for one though have not experienced this shaking with the car?? Is that a chronic condition with some?? With the stock 15 inch wheels I had a slight shake but I now drive mine up to 80 mph frequently on the highway and it doesn't shake. I changed from the stock wheels to 17" Konig Reasons and 215 40 17 Falken Ziex H rated tires. The handling has also improved tremendously with the tire/wheel combo and Ill be damned if I can't get it to slide, the damn thing stays glued to the road. I also find one more plus to the Miata and that is that I don't have to worry about it getting damaged as it is easily replaceable. But all in all I would still rather drive the Fairlady as it is just so much more fun looks so much nicer and gets alot of attention. The only thing that can make a Miata better is to change it so that it looks like the roadster, like that one that was on the SP/SR japanese website.
66Roadster
Roadster Fanatic

Post by 66Roadster »

The shaking I get is over "not so smooth roads". I have had it to 80+ and no shake on smooth roads. You put some bumps in a corner and the Miata shakes and gets upset pretty easy. Also, on the Arsenal the roads are used by tanks so they have a slight wash-board. I don't feel it in the Roadster and just slightly in the Jeep with 31s. The Miata on these roads really shake. This is a '89 (number 366) so like you guys said - I may just need to put the bracing in the car. Honestly when top down weather hits and I put more "custom" parts in to make it my car, I will enjoy it more.

Yea, guys at work call the white Miata "a little girly". I put on the wheels/tires and a roll bar which helps this image . I guess now I need the strips :lol:
futuredeadguy

Re: Roadster vs Miata

Post by futuredeadguy »

66Roadster wrote:...On Sid's VW/starter post, someone mentioned "car that are simpler are more fun"....
I agree 100%. I've had some pretty simple cars, mostly old VWs and love the '68 2000 I just got a couple of weeks ago. When I got in and fired it up for the first time, I had a flashback to when I took flying lessons (not a pilot, just took lessons for awhile). My trainer aircraft, a Cessna 150 is basic, minimal air transportation in the same spirit of the Roadster.

When you fire it up, it sputters and shakes to life, then runs smooth as silk. That moment when you realize everything is OK and that your journey will happen is magic. I'm not talking about reliability - our cars are definitely reliable - I'm talking about knowing the finesse it takes to best start your car. I'm talking about knowing your car's quirks (personality). I'm talking about having a car that's worth getting to know just like you would a future spouse. After all, nobody's perfect.

I think THAT is what gives the Roadster a soul vs. the Miata. Uncertainty is what makes us laugh and is also what makes life exciting. With the Miata, you get in, crank it up and go. At least with my Roadster, there is a sense of procession when getting ready to drive it, almost like a pre-flight check. I know my Roadster definitely has a soul and I've only had her two weeks.

I love my Roadster.

Jim
66Roadster
Roadster Fanatic

Post by 66Roadster »

Jim, Jim, Jim..... So you are saying our spouse's are not perfect - which implies my spouse is not perfect!!!!!..... (Just don't tell her :wink: )

Actually very well said Jim. Not that a Miata does not have soul, it just does not grab the senses like a Roadster. Even the visual impact of a Roadster is so much more stimulating then most other cars.

Hey Jim, when the weather clears we should do a small SEROC run through south TN and north AL.
futuredeadguy

Post by futuredeadguy »

66Roadster wrote:Jim, Jim, Jim..... So you are saying our spouse's are not perfect - which implies my spouse is not perfect!!!!!..... (Just don't tell her :wink: )........Hey Jim, when the weather clears we should do a small SEROC run through south TN and north AL.
Well, one of my wife's biggest imperfections is her inability to see most of mine. That's what makes her only ALMOST perfect.

Sounds good on a Roadster run. We can talk more about it as things warm up. A few of us here are already discussing hitting the Mitty. I will likely trailer mine for that, though. John (former owner) has offered me access to a trailer. He may be bringing his 280.

We're pretty well-connected with the Nissan plant in Smyrna, TN thru the Z club. We have arranged many Nissan-related events that included a plant tour (it's incredible), so keep that in mind for a future activity. I have no doubt the people at Nissan would love to have a bunch of Roadsters/owners visit.

Jim
jhdj250

Post by jhdj250 »

futuredeadguy wrote: We're pretty well-connected with the Nissan plant in Smyrna, TN thru the Z club. We have arranged many Nissan-related events that included a plant tour (it's incredible), so keep that in mind for a future activity. I have no doubt the people at Nissan would love to have a bunch of Roadsters/owners visit.

Jim
I ever get my car in TN (currently in SC) I would join a trip like that.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
futuredeadguy

Post by futuredeadguy »

Stickerman wrote:Trailer it? If I can drive a 64 1500 from Baltimore to Atlanta, surely you could drive yours.
The main reason I would trailer it is because I would be hauling a pretty good bit of camping gear in my truck - may even bring a full size picnic table and paddock shelter.

People set up pretty major camps at the Mitty. I don't plan to go all out, but what I plan to bring will fill up a good bit of my Frontier. Once I get there, I'll drive the Roadster everywhere.

Jim