I will never gripe about Roadster starter replacement again

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

Post by Import_sounds-of-mid-GA »

67 1/2 1600 wrote:
if it was a nissan its not a POS(excpet the sentra...)
Easy there camaro boy. As a big sentra fan, it is not a POS. They are good economic cars nothing fancy about them, but I like them. I especially like the 87-90 square ones that remind me of of a more modern 510.
LOL!!! I didnt say i didnt like them... i said they were POS... :wink:

Ive always wanted one to stick an SR20det in and make a sleeper. Well, i guess a car lowered with rims and exhaust isnt much of a sleeper... but still would be tight!
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

You want to put a SR in a sentra? Im suprised you didnt want to stuff a V8 and convert to RWD... 8)
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

lol, actually.... that was the plan for my friends 98 200sx... :wink:
garth
Roadster Enthusiast
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by garth »

Back to the origianl issue of this thread.

Sid wrote
Damn, I like simple cars...
The fact these vehicles are dead simple and very user repairable/maintainable is the reason I am restoring one.

Current automobile technology has evolved to the point where a modern vehicle's maintenance is fraction of that required on our "classics". However when your new millenium transporter needs even a moderate repair, visit your banker first before speaking to a dealer's "service consultant"!

Back when first 68 roadster was 4 years old. I had to replace the starter 500 miles from my home garage with limited tools. The new starter cost $60 and took less than 2 hours to replace.

What would a starter replacement on a 350Z cost today?

Damn, I really value simplicty!
Garth
_________
68' 2000
Redtail

Post by Redtail »

my girlfriend owns a 2000 VW passat. the CEL came on not too long ago, and I borrowed a code puller from Autozone to check the code.

P0431 Warm up Cat below threshold (bank 1) &
P0421 Warm up Cat below threshold (bank 2)

I went to a passat forum to check out what this means and found quite a few posts. Up until 6 months ago, the fix for this code was to replace 2 out of the 4 catalytic converts and 2 out of the 4 oxygen sensors at a cost upwards of $3000!

six months ago VW released a service notice: the O2 sensors read wrong due to a software issue - nothing is actually wrong with the car. To get the CEL light to go off we had to pay a dealer (yes we had to pay for a design flaw) 1.5 hours labor to reflash the computer.

These types of problems are extremely common with late-model VWs. The W8 engine used in Passats from 2002-2005 is a "sealed" engine - the heads do not come off the block and if a piston holes you need a whole new engine. How much is that engine? Retail price is $28,000. That's right - TWENTY EIGHT THOUSAND DOLLARS! ack.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I love that car when it's running smoothly, but it breakes down more than the roadster. And I'll tell you one more thing, I'm going to think long and hard before I buy a car that needs a computer reflash.

[/rant]
Conner
Roadsteraholic

Post by Conner »

I have a recent Sentra and am able to clear error codes using complex pedal commands. It is a little funky to do, like finding the Warp Zone on Super Mario Brothers, but preferable to going to the dealer and MUCH better than replacing an O2 sensor, let alone a Cat. I'm guessing the VW doesn't have this kind of capability or it isn't common knowledge on the forums (as it is with the b15).
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

those high performance cats that cost $100 each are lookin pretty eh?
Conner
Roadsteraholic

Post by Conner »

Yeah, they are cheaper but sometimes they don't clean as well as the stock cats do, and you can end up failing emissions. Also, at least on my car, the stock cat flows pretty well.
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

forgot bout them emission tests.... we dont have em round here