Carbeurator fuel line return direction

Since the old single thread was getting too long again. Creating a new forum where you can ask your questions and if you get them answered -please indicate the issue was resolved or not.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

BackfiringDatsun
Forum Newb
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Carbeurator fuel line return direction

Post by BackfiringDatsun »

Which way does the fuel come in when you have a fuel return line to the tank? Does the fuel come in from the front of the rail and return to the tank out of the back by the valve? Or does it come in at the back carb and return to the tank through the front of the fuel rail?

I figured it came in from the front, except the fuel line size from the fuel filter sure seems to match up with the back which is a 3/8 nipple as opposed to the front with is a 1/4 line nipple (I'm estimating the sizes).

I know most of you probably aren't running fuel return lines, but any insights would be highly appreciated.

I've got a 68 1600 with smog (California car) that I'm putting back together, when I bought it it came in a lot of pieces.
1968 Datsun Roadster 1600 - Putting it back together
1991 Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo - A Japanese dream
2012 Mazdaspeed 3 - Daily driver with a bit of get up and go
1973 Datsun 240z - Sold it and it
1995 Dodge Viper - Good riddance
david premo
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Carbeurator fuel line return direction

Post by david premo »

Post a picture of where the two fuel lines meet, the larger line should be the return line, as it’s not driven by pressure. Think of it like the kitchen sink, water comes out of the tap but drain is much larger as it’s not under pressure.
Dave
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Carbeurator fuel line return direction

Post by redroadster »

The return system is also a fuel warmer ,helps in this weather. Colder gas doesn't aireate as much
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster